Chapter 2

The Game

 

Chapter 2

 

“The board has accepted our request and I’ve informed the announcer and the ref of the last minute player changes.” Coach Choi informed Jenissi when they finally arrived at Bucheon Academy. Though all of Jenissi’s attention was on Jiho who was busy showing off his badminton skills (which had yet to be put into action) to the giggling girls at the entrance of the sports hall.

“I’m going to kick his . I’m really going to kick if we loose this game.” Jenissi mumbled biting at the nail of his thumb. A nervous habit.

“Jenissi. Jenissi! Hey.” Coach Choi resorted to waving his hand infront of Jenissi’s face before the other looked up. “Take it easy. It’s just a charity tournament. Whether we win or not affects our Nationals’ standings in no way so just try to have some fun for once.”

Jenissi squinted at his coach trying to process what he had just said “I’m not loosing to these Bucheon jerks.”

 

---

 

“Wow so you’ve never lost a game before?” One of the girls Jiho had been attempting to flirt with asked.

“Yeah. I don’t know it’s just talent I guess-”

“He’s never lost because he’s never played in an actual game.” Jenissi cut Jiho off as he yanked his collar and dragged him back in the direction of the outdoor tennis court.

“Well you’re not a very good wing man.” Jiho let Jenissi lead him without a struggle which came as somewhat of a surprise to the other. He was almost tempted to look back but decided against it. He would only be met with Jiho's smug little face which he really didn't want to see anymore than necessary right before the big game. It would only come as some sort of bad omen or something, Jenissi imagined.

“Not your wing man and it’s practice time. You can let your little fangirls fawn over you after we win the game. There’ll be a lot more by then anyway.”

 

---

 

"Ugh enough." Jiho collapsed on the floor panting. The back of his hand rested on his forehead effectively blocking out the rays of light from getting to his eyes.

“Get. Up. Shin. Ji. Ho.” Jenissi kicked at the soles of Jiho’s shoes. They’d been practising for barely half an hour and this was the third time Jiho had made a dramatic declaration about something along the lines of ‘conserving their energy for the actual game’. Then collapsed to the floor in an overly exaggerated manner that only Shin Jiho could manage while still keeping his cool, Jenissi thought.
“Out of all the great students on the team why did Hyosang pick a little brat like you.” Jenissi continued kicking.

Jiho stifled a laugh and laid still unaffected by Jenissi’s feeble kicks. He found it was actually quite endearing in fact.

 

“So does Hyosang really have an injured foot or is he just afraid of a rematch.” A voice from across the court called, marching up to them.

And all the kicking suddenly came to a pause.

“I mean I can understand why. After all they did win that last match on a fluke.” Another voice closely followed behind the other.

Jenissi stood there wide eyed for a brief second before quickly composing himself. “Hyosang is an idiot who traines too hard. That’s what winners do. As for that last match, you know we won fair and square.”

“The ref was against us from the start! That was in no way a fair match!” The shorter one of the two proclaimed defensively.

Jiho recognised them from their pictures printed in the tournament guide. Sehyuk and Dongsung, the players they would be competing against. Entertained by the idea of people getting so worked up about a dumb game Jiho failed to withhold his laugh, drawing all eyes on him.

“Is this the best excuse of a replacement you could find when Hyosang bailed?” Dongsung taunted.

“Who is he anyway.” Sehyuk asked quite literally looking down on Jiho who was still laying on the floor amused by the whole ordeal.

“He’s new.” Jenissi stood between his opponents and his teammate in an almost protective manner.

“Boys get your equipment ready the game starts in 10!” The assistant coach of the opposing team called out from across the court.

“Hope you’ve practiced hard because we won’t be going easy on you this time.” Dongsung and Sehyuk warned before retreating back the way they came.

“Don’t let their baseless threats scare you. That’s just what they want.” Jenissi advised Jiho.

“I’m not.” Jiho replied casually, unmoved by the whole fiasco.

“Good.”

 

---

 

“Welcome to the 2015 Bucheon sports tournament fundraiser. I will be your announcer for this afternoon’s badminton match between two old rivals, Bucheon Academy vs. Seoul High.” The host announced as the crowd went wild.

“Don’t be nervous.” Jenissi tried to comfort Jiho as the were about to enter the court.

“Thanks but I don’t think I’m the one that’s needs that advice.” Jiho replied staring down at Jenissi’s quivering hands gripping his racket far too tightly.

Jiho reached out and placed his hand over the other’s and this time Jenissi didn’t pull away.

 

The game was just as dramatic as the screaming crowd hoped it would be with both sides neck and neck with only a point or two separating the overall score. And much to Jenissi's surprise Jiho was actually quite the attentive player. He was easily keeping up against his senior opponents who were far more experienced than him when it came to playing in official matches. And it seemed to surprise Dongsung and Sehyuk too, that a rookie was able to so effortlessly play at their level.

But that was only the first half of the game. The second half destroyed Bucheon Academy. Jiho was not holding back at all with the attacks which Sehyuk and Dongsung were struggling to defend. Seoul High's score just kept rising as Jiho had single handedly obliterated the other team and Jenissi had to take a step back to compose himself as he was left completely stunned by his intensely competitive teammate. Why had he not noticed such a skilled player like Jiho on the team before?

The whistle blew indicating the end of the game and the Seoul High students went wild as their team had yet again beaten their old rivals. Several students ran onto the court pulling Jenissi and Jiho into a chaotic group hug, showering them with 'Congratulations' and Jiho more than gladly basked in the limelight.

 "I told you not to worry, I got this." Jiho patted a very dumbfounded Jenissi on the back, who seemed to have been rendered speechless by everything that had just happend during the second half.

 

---

 

The train ride home was loud and noisy as everyone was still buzzing over the fact that both the basketball team and the badminton team were returning victorious. Though Jenissi was still in a state of shock, trying to let it sink in that they had just won the tournament while Jiho collected the phone numbers of the cheerleaders.

“What's with that tired expression? I was the one doing all the hard work out there.” Jiho exaggerated as he hopped onto the seat next to Jenissi.

“Hey! I was busy too, defending their attacks!”

“I know, I know. I'm just kidding. We make a good team with you handling the defence and me getting in there with the attacks.” Jiho suggested.

“Hmm yeah, but Hyosang would probably kill you if he found out you were trying to take his position.” Jenissi laughed.

“True. Call me next time Hyosang hyung s up and walks into a wall or something.” Jiho offered as the train arrived back in Seoul.

 

“Hey Jiho!” Jenissi called from the station exit as he and Jiho were about to part ways. “Thanks! And sorry about stressing out before.”

“Wow the great Jenissi apologising? What an unexpected sight.” Jiho joked.

“Shut up! Well I'll see you at practice on Monday then.” Jenissi waved a hand as he took a few steps back, in the direction he was heading.

“...I won't be there.” Jiho looked confused.

“Shin Jiho don't even think about skipping team practice unless you want an beating!”

“I'm not on the team.” and now Jenissi was confused.

“Wait. What are you talking about? I thought- I mean Hyosang said you were the best player out of all the first years.”

“Oh that I am. I’m just not on the badminton team.” Jiho doesn’t miss the opportunity to brag.

“Well what team are you on?”

“Not really on any team. I just owed Hyosang hyung a favour is all.” Jiho pulled his hood over his head. “Well see ya around.”

Jenissi stood there perplexed for a while watching Jiho's back as he walked away before he too turned around and headed back home.