When The Other One Falls

When The Other One Falls

"Are you feeling sick?" Kei glanced at Chiharu who is sitting beside him inside the backseat of his car. His family driver is the one driving.

 

Chiharu shook her head and smiled. "No. I'm just thinking." 

 

Kei sneaked his hand around her head and made her head rest on his shoulder. "Tell me what you're thinking." He gently her long black hair.  

 

"Kei, I'm sleepy." 

 

He kissed the top of her head. "Okay. Sweet dreams." 

 

After a minute, he heard Chiharu's even breathing. He sighed and continuously his girl's hair. They've been together for almost three years. They are both successful company owners. Their parents loves them being together. And now, Kei had decided that this girl will be the woman whom he'll spend his forever.

 

They reached the beach hours before sunrise yet they decided to wait for it instead of resting. They played around and talked about random things until the sun rose.  

 

Kei stared at the lovely girl in front of him, laughing her heart out. He felt his heart beating so hard not only because he's tired of running to catch Chiharu but also because after so many days, it was the first time he saw his girl that happy. 

 

Kei hugged Chiharu from the back and inhaled the scent of the perfume she used. As always, it was calming and too good for his nose. "I love you," he whispered. 

 

Slowly, he touched her right hand and inserted a ring in her ring finger. He felt Chiharu's stare at her and. "Will you marry me?" 

 

Suddenly, Chiharu sobbed. She turned around and faced him. His smile faded when she removed the ring slowly and  put it back in his hand. She shook her head and continued sobbing. 

 

"Chiharu?" He glanced at the ring. "Why? Am I being too fast?" 

 

She shook her head. "Kei... I'm sorry," she said in between her sobs. 

 

"Why?" 

 

She looked at him straight in the eyes. He felt his chest tightening. "Kei... I thought we'll be together forever. I thought you're the one. But then, one day, I woke up and felt something changed. I don't see you the way I used to." 

 

He shook his head. He knew what she meant. But he couldn't understand. "Wh-what do you mean?" 

 

"I hate to hurt you but.." She burts into tears. "I don't love you anymore." 

 

That's when his world crashed and burned. And the time stopped moving. 

 

"You don't want to hurt me but you are." 

 

"Listen," she sobbed harder. "I tried to bring back my feelings for you, okay? I really tried. I thought I'm still in love with you and I'm just overthinking but when you proposed..." 

 

He looked away and a tear fell from his eyes. He immediately wiped it. 

 

Chiharu held his cheek and made him face her. "When you proposed, I realized that I don't want to spend my eternity with you. Because it's gone. My love for you is gone. But I really loved you. I really did." 

 

 

 

Kei sighed as he remembered the day where his life stopped. He's broken and he knew everything is just all in the past. He knew he must move on. But he couldn't. Even if it has been almost a year, he just couldn't stop remembering that day. The smell of her perfume still lingers now. The sight of the sunrise is still clear in his mid. But everytime he remembers what happened that day, his heart continually breaks.

 

After placing all his things inside his luggage, he checked if he placed everything he needs before closing it. He dragged it out of his bachelor pad and placed it inside his car. After that, he drove away.

 

He arrived at Chiharu's house after ten minutes. He saw Chiharu outside, wearing her corporate attire. He went out of his car and held her arm.

 

"Kei?" Chiharu was surprised by his sudden appearance. "What are you doing here?"

 

Without saying a word, he dragged her away.

 

"I have a meeting today!" She tried to remove her arm but he didn't allow her. "I'm going to be late."

 

"This will just take two or three minutes, okay? Just two or three."

 

They reached the empty bridge. From there, they can clearly see the the water from the river beneath them and the tall buildings kilometers away them. Kei glanced at Chiharu who is staring at him.

 

"So Kei, what are we doing here?" she asked.

 

He closed his eyes. "Chiharu, can you still remember the day at the beach?"

 

"Of course," her voice softened. 

 

"Can you still remember what you felt?" He fixed his gaze on her. "Is your heart still aching whenever you remember that day?"

 

"Kei..." She inhaled. "That was months ago..."

 

He smiled sadly. "So you won't cry for me anymore?"

 

'She's just acting tough. She still remembers me.' That's what he continuously think. But he knew, deep in his heart, that she's really showing him what she felt. He wanted to take her with him to the past, change everything, and be together again without anyone stopping them but he knew it's not possible. They're not possible anymore.

 

She gently shook her head. And waited for his reaction.

 

That was what he was waiting for. He smiled which made her smile too. Just like in his dreams, she's still as beautiful as before. How can he unlove this lovely lady? 

 

"If ever we meet again by chance, under this vast sky, it will be okay right? We won't hesitate to greet each other anymore," he nodded. "Even if there's no love, there we'll still show our smiles. That's fine, isn't it?"

 

As soon as she nodded, he turned his back and walk away. This time, he's leaving. He will be leaving the past. He'll move forward. The time of his life will start moving again. He already stayed in love for a long time already. He won't be expecting to an impossible future anymore.

 

Because when the other one falls out of love, the other one must let go.