1

Take me Away, Cowboy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Will you carry me, Mister Cowboy?"

Jongin studies the boy's face for a moment before he smiles and replies kindly, "Sure. What's your name by the way?" 

"Luhan."

"It's nice to meet you, Luhan. You can call me Jongin. No need for formalities. I am only 25," states Jongin while giving him a piggyback ride. They approach Rancho and Jongin carefully lets Luhan sit on top of him. "Hold on tight. I will be sitting behind you." Jongin immediately climbs up and instructs the horse to move. Luhan sits there anxiously. It is his first time to ride a horse and it scares him to the bones. He slightly tilts his head to the side to take a glimpse of Jongin. "Uhm...Mister Cowb--I mean, Jongin?" he calls out softly. Jongin notices him and inquires, "Yes? What's the matter?"

"It won't run fast, right? This horse."

"If I don't tell him to do so, he won't. Why? Is this your first time riding a horse?"

Luhan nods. Jongin immediately assures him that everything will be alright and there's no need to worry. He moves closer to Luhan until the latter's back touches his chest, "As long as you hold on tight, you won't fall." For a moment, Luhan feels so small against Jongin's broad shoulders and strong arms. The silence as they journey ensues more awkwardness between them; at least for him. "So close." Luhan is looking down the entire time while Jongin is comfortably watching over the vast field with a smile on his face. When they finally arrive at Jongin's house, the latter reaches out for Luhan and carries him down like a little boy. "I will call for uncle Jung Hoon to help you with your foot." 

"Uncle Jung Hoon? Is he a doctor or..."

Jongin chuckles amusingly, "No. He's a worker in my farm. But he knows how to heal that injured ankle of yours. Don't worry. It'll get better soon. Let's go inside the house."

My farm? So he is the owner of his place. Luhan looks at him from head to toe, studying him like an open book before he carefully limps away, "It's okay. I think I can walk by myself now."

"Oh no. You might strain your foot even more---"

"It's really okay. I can manage," insists Luhan. Jongin watches him wearily for a moment. He isn't satisfied seeing the former limping and struggling to maintain his balance as he motions towards the porch. Jongin walks side by side with him and holds his waist to assist him, making Luhan jerk in surprise. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!!" Jongin is taken aback and immediately pulls his hand away from Luhan, "I'm sorry. I am just trying to help." He bows his head apologetically as if he has committed a grave mistake. He has no idea what he did that made Luhan blurt out in anger but he is humble enough to say sorry and retreat. Realizing he's irrational outburst, Luhan looks away in guilt. He sighs with puckered brows as he continues; Jongin trailing behind him quietly. When he reaches the door, Jongin opens it and invites him in. Luhan sits at the wooden sofa and surveys the living room. It is clean and the furniture is minimal. There is an old television set. But besides that, there is nothing modern inside the house. He ponders how people can live in such "seclusion" and simplicity; totally different from the city life where cars and people roam around the streets every minute of every day. Jongin comes out from the kitchen, holding a cup of lemon juice. Luhan leans forward and stares at the drink on the table, probing. "What is this?" he asks.

"Lemon juice," replies Jongin as he sits down on the wooden stool nearby. "I'm sorry but that's all I can offer. If you are hungry then I can ask someone to cook for you."

"No I'm fine. I am not hungry," replies Luhan with little interest. He still gawks at the cup of lemon juice in a curious fashion; pondering innocently if it's safe to take or not. He has no idea about farm life, moreover what the food and drink there taste like. Jongin senses his doubt but remains quiet. It is the first time he invited a stranger in his domain. If his mother is still alive, she would probably prepare a feast to welcome the visitor. His father would give a tour around the ranch and talks about topics related to agriculture and farm life enthusiastically; showing how a proud farmer he is. Jongin lowers his head and smiles in nostalgia as he remembers the good old times.  He is too occupied with the thoughts of the past that he didn't notice Luhan watching him across the living room; discreetly taking a sip from the cup of lemon juice he served.

~Luhan's ankle doesn't hurt much after Uncle Jung Hoon massaged it. He applied an herbal oil that eases out soreness and rubbed it along the injured part. Luhan was hesitant at first, not sure if he can trust the old guy. But soon, he was relieved that the pain subsided quicker than expected. Uncle Jung Hoon's old ways to treat injuries are indeed effective.

It's 7 in the evening and the sound of the front door tells Luhan that the resident of the house returned. He is sitting alone in the living room after Jongin went out to finish his daily routine in the farm. Rancho was sent back to his roughly-constructed barn and Jongin stayed there with him for a while, thinking of the possible renovation he has to do. He then helped the women to carry baskets of freshly-picked vegetables to their homes. As a favor, Jongin asked them if they can prepare the food for his guest. The ladies were more willing to prepare so when Jongin went back home, he is carrying a basket-full of newly-cooked soup and baked bread. "I'm sorry for keeping you wait. I brought dinner."

Jongin arranges the table and soon, they start eating their meal. Hungry, Luhan sets aside his doubts and devour the hot chicken soup. "Hmm... this actually tastes good," he murmurs with delight. While Jongin munches his bread, he questions about what happened to Luhan and how he got injured. Luhan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter