Carpe Diem

One Chance

"Tao, you taking the subway?" his best friend Yixing asked him. 

"Course! Ooh are you coming with me today?" Tao asked excitedly. Yixing lived quite close to school that it was a rare occurance he had company. 

"Yeah can't wait! Jongin and the new guy Luhan want to come with us too if that's okay." Tao nodded, because this was the first time in a while that he had company. 

Once Tao and Yixing met up with Jongin and Luhan, the four of them went to the subway station. The train they got on was pretty empty and as it was pulling out of the station, Jongin pointed to the boy in the adjacent carriage. 

"Look doesn't he look like that guy on 'We Got Married'."

"Seriously you watch that? That's so gay," Yixing teased and then turned his head to get a look at him. "Although I've got to say, he's got fine cheekbones." 

"Like that's any less gay. Tao what do you think?" He turned his head and found himself staring at this rainbow haired, fair skinned boy listening to his music and gazing out the window.

In short, the most beautiful man he'd ever seen in his entire life. In fact, he was so mesmerised by this rainbow haired boy that he didn't notice his friends trying to get his attention. 

"Earth to Tao is anyone there?" Jongin asked, waving his hand in front of Tao's face. Tao shook his head, as if breaking himself out of a daze. 

"Hi sorry I was just um-"

"Just daydreaming over fine cheekbone guy over there?" Yixing filled in. "Well enjoy yourself Taozi. Me and Jongin are going now. Bye!" Tao and Luhan waved goodbye to Yixing and Jongin as they got off the train and walked down the platform. The train pulled away from the station, leaving Tao and Luhan alone to talk to each other. 

"Hey you know what we should do," Luhan started out of nowhere. When Tao didn't answer, Luhan finished his thought. "We should go over and talk to that guy!" Tao couldn't believe what Luhan just suggested. He couldn't do something crazy like that, could he? The worst thing he'd ever done was steal some BB cream. And even then he ended up returning it out of guilt. 

"We can't, can we?" 

"Course we can! You clearly like this guy!" Tao felt embarassed that Luhan noticed because he didn't realise he was being that obvious. 

"But we don't even know if he's gay," Tao whispers in a low voice so that no one else on the train carriage could hear. He was feeling quite self-conscious now. 

"The rainbow hair practically screams gay. Not to mention the eyeliner. Besides, have you never done anything exciting before?" That's when Tao realised that he never has. Too many times has he let a good opportunity slip through his fingers. He wasn't going to let that happen again. He wasn't going to let the beautiful boy sitting in the next carriage get away.

"All right, let's do it." They waited until the train pulled into the station and then jumped off the train and ran to the next carriage and hopped on, much to the rainbow haired boy's surprise. Luhan and Tao sat opposite him which made Tao feel even more nervous. What the hell was he doing? It seemed beyond stalkerish to him. 

"Hi, sorry for intruding but my friend Tao here wanted to talk to you," Luhan said, which resulted in an arm punch from Tao. The rainbow haired boy took out his earpieces and smiled at Tao. 

"Oh well that's cool. I'm Oh Sehun by the way. Nice to meet you Tao. What's your name?" Luhan smiled. The plan was going better than he thought. He loved playing the matchmaker. 

"I'm Luhan, but don't bother about me really. We go to SM high school." At that moment Tao envied Luhan. He wished that he could be as confident and talkative as him. 

"Oh I'm at Seoul High School. Would you like to share some of my panda cookies?" They both nodded so Sehun put his school bag on his lap and started taking items out of it in order to fish the cookies out from the bottom. One of these items caught Tao's eye. It was a Gucci wallet. He started to like Sehun even more.

When Sehun finally found the cookies, he handed them out to Luhan and Tao. 

"Ooh they're double chocolate! Those are the best! Thank you Sehun," Luhan said with a slight bow. "How is our panda enjoying his panda cookies?"

"Shut it Luhan!" Tao whined, feeling embarrassed that Luhan called him by his nickname in front of Sehun. 

"Why did Luhan call you a panda?" This made Tao cringe even more.

"I've had these shadows under my eyes since I was born, which is why people call me panda." Sehun laughed and smiled in such a way that it made Tao's heart melt a little. 

"Well I think it's really adorable. Can I call you that then?" Sehun smiled again which made Tao wonder if he liked him. But that wasn't possible. Nobody ever liked him. 

"Err yeah. If y-you like," Tao stammered. The train pulled in at the next station, causing Luhan to stand up and grab his school bag. 

"Bye you two lovebirds. Give me all the details tomorrow Taozi. I want to know everything. Bye Sehun!" Luhan got off the train and waved to Sehun and Tao who waved back. Once the train pulled away, Tao realized that it was just him and Sehun in that train carriage which made him feel more relaxed. 

"Don't take what Luhan said seriously," Tao said blushing. 

"Oh so do you not like me then?" Sehun asked, teasingly. Tao however did not realise that's what he was doing and started to get worried. 

"No I do like you of course I do! I mean not in the way, not yet anyway. It would be weird if-" Tao struggled, digging himself in an even bigger hole. Sehun looked at him sympathetically. 

"Aish calm down. I was only joking. Come sit next to me." Sehun patted the seat next to him which Tao sat down in. "Let's get to know each other better. What's your favourite fruit?" Tao raised his eyebrow at the very lame-sounding question. 

"Fruit? Really? Well apples I guess. They're my go-to fruit." Tao mentally kicked himself for his answer. 'Go-to fruit'? He'd never used the phrase 'go-to' in his life. Now he's going to look like a total idiot in front of the man he is convinced he loves. 

"Yeah sorry for the lame question. Why don't you ask me one?" This Q & A session continued on the whole journey home and it turned out that they actually had a lot of things in common. They talked so animatedly that Tao didn't even realise that he missed his stop. 

"Oh god I missed my stop I'm such an idiot!" Sehun looked at him sympathetically.

"Well mine's the next one so we can get out together okay?" Tao nodded, glad to know that Sehun lived nearby. However, he felt sad that their time together was coming to an end sooner than he wanted. The pair got off at the station and crossed over to the other platform. 

"Today was really fun for me," Tao commented, feeling his cheeks burning. 

"Yeah me too." For the first time, Sehun was acting tongue tied too, unsure of what to say. Did Tao like him too? "Erm, do you have Kakao or LINE or something? " Tao smiled to himself, feeling ecstatic. Sehun was interested after all, or at least he hoped that's what this request was all about. 

"Yeah I have Kakao. Here's my ID." He wrote it on a piece of paper that was his in his pocket and gave it to him. Sehun smiled and put it inside his wallet. 

"Cool thanks! I'll add you as soon as I get home." Just as he said that, the train started pulling in and Tao felt a sinking feeling in his stomach. He didn't want to leave Sehun. But he hoped that it wouldn't be forever. "I guess that's your train." 

"Yeah it is. Goodbye then," said Tao, resigned. 

"This is not goodbye. This is see you later. I promise." Sehun seemed serious when he said this. Tao had been messed with by too many men. He hoped that Sehun wasn't like them. He got on the train and Sehun waved him off.

Now that Tao was alone in the train, he had time to himself to process what had just happened. Was he really in love with Oh Sehun? 

A/N: Hope you enjoy this chapter! Btw by true story I don't mean this actually happened to Tao and Sehun although that would be super cute :)

Please tell me what you think!