Crimson Clover

Crimson Clover

Mizuki stared at the clovers planted around the base of the tree beside her. She smiled when she saw a four-leaf clover. She was about to make her wish when she heard someone calling her. "Mizuki!"

 

She took the clover and turned around. "Kei-kun!" She waved when she saw her boyfriend on the other side of the road. 

 

She ran toward her boyfriend. She missed her guy so much! Kei had a family vacation while she continued working as a pastry chef in her family's business. 

 

She was only halfway Kei when she heard a beep. On instinct, she looked to her side. Before she could even react, someone pushed her. Unfortunately, the push was too late. She got hit by the car.

 

Even though her eyes are getting blurry, she managed to looked at the one who pushed her. She was surprised to see Kei. The guy has blood on his head.

 

She felt her eyes getting warm. Kei gently pulled her into a hug. And with that, she softly sobbed. She could feel the pain in her body. "Kei... it hurts," she whispered.

 

"We'll be..okay." Kei's voice was barely audible.

 

She looked at him and saw his eyes closing. And slowly, her eyes are blurring, and her vision is getting dark. The last thing she saw was a clover... a crimson four-leaf clover. When her eyes were already close, she made a wish.

 

 

 

Kei opened his eyes and blinked for a couple of times to adjust his vision with the light of his room. He looked around and realized that he's inside a hospital room.

 

"You're awake!" 

 

He looked at his side and saw Mizuki standing beside his bed with a bright smile on her face. She is wearing a hospital gown.

 

"Stand up," she tugged his hand. "Let's not waste any time."

 

He glanced around his body. "But... I'm injured."

 

Mizuki chuckled. "But it won't hurt. Come on!"

 

Surprisingly, he managed to stand up without feeling any kind of pain. Even though he's confused, he followed Mizuki when she went out of the hospital room. They walked pass the nurses. He found it weird when all the people didn't even look at them.

 

With their barefeet and hands connected, they walked out of the hospital and toward the road. It was night but the light from the lamp post is illuminating the place. Kei could see some people walking on the sidewalk.

 

"What are we doing here?" he asked.

 

Mizuki's smile faded for a while but she quickly returned it. This time, it was a lonely smile. He felt his chest tighten. He wanted to bring back the bright smile she had earlier. He loves her smile. Her smile was the reason why he hugged her when they got into an accident. He saw how she felt pain and he wanted to stop her from hurting and return her smile earlier that day. He thought that his hug could ease her pain.

 

"Mizuki?" He pulled her into a hug in the middle of the crowd of drifting people. "We're okay now, right? We survived!"

 

"Do you love me?" he heard Mizuki sobbed. "Please show me. Or just... tell me."

 

"Of course I love you," he said while still holding her into his arms and letting her cry. He kissed the top of her head and whispered, "I love you so much."

 

Mizuki moved away. She smiled. Without saying any word, she took his hand and placed a four-leaf clover there. "I love you too. And I want to be with you. But I can't."

 

"What are you saying?" he asked. "We'll always be together Mizuki."

 

She gave him a smile and turned around. Then, she started walking away.

 

"Mizuki? Where are you going?" 

 

Mizuki didn't look back. And for an unknown reason, he didn't follow her. All he did was to watch her back grow smaller and smaller until it was already out of his sight.

 

 

 

Kei slowly opened his eyes and blinked. 

 

"You're awake!"

 

He looked at his side and saw his mother. He felt disappointed and he doesn't know why. It seemed like he expected someone that is not his mother to say those words to him.

 

"How do you feel, honey?" his mother went near him. "I'll just call your doctor, okay? I'll be back." 

 

His mother ran out of the room. He continued looking around, like he's looking for something... someone he doesn't know. He pushed himself up so he could sit down but his body hurts. He was about to bring his hand into his eye to rub it when he felt something inside.

 

He slowly opened his hand and saw a four-leaf clover inside. But it has a different color--crimson. He looked at it intently and saw that it wasn't the natural color of the clover. The clover was just covered with blood that has already dryed up. 

 

"How did it get here?" he asked himself.

 

Suddenly, something flashed in his mind. A girl he doesn't know but he's familiar with her face... a car... blood... the four-leaf clover... He felt a comforting warmth on his chest. Then slowly, he felt the warmth fading. He still wanted the warmth. He somehow longed for something he doesn't know. He couldn't understand what he's feeling.

 

'Mizuki.'

 

The doctor entered the room with his mother. He looked at his mother. "Mom, who's Mizuki?"

 

His mother parted her lips then closed them. "W-who's that? I don't know someone who has a name like that." Then, she smiled.

 

He nodded. "Oh." But he knew there is someone whose name is Mizuki. Even though he doesn't know who that is, he somehow wants to meet her or him. Because he felt like whoever that person is, he or she could suffice the longing of his heart for something he doesn't know.