Regrets

Love is hard

A few weeks ago…

He waited, and waited and waited…

Holding a boutique of flowers in his hands, he has been there waiting for her.
3 hours. He waited for 3 hours. Why was she so cruel to him, leaving him waiting along the Han’s river? As every second ticks away, their memories were fading away one by one. All their sweet days together, the memories they created at Han’s River together. It was where he confessed his love for her, their birthday and anniversary celebrations and where they had their first kiss. All of them, it’s gone. Witnessing the fury in his eyes, he had transferred all his love for her into hatred.
 

-


This was the last race for her, her only chance to only win.
She put up a calm demeanor, wearing her safety helmet, all ready for the bet of her life. She was facing the toughest opponent,the well-known racing champion for continuously 4 years. He was a winner; he used all kind of ways just to win the races. She was just a new racer which everyone claims that she was just climbing up to the finals by pure luck. Everyone already had a final answer for the winner this year; obviously it wouldn’t be a newbie like her.

A few hours later..

He was in car when he saw that damn guy with her in another car. He was furious. She ditched him aside on their date just to be with this freaking guy? The next moment, he was already banging his fists at the front of his car. His friends quickly pulled him back and he struggled against their grips. His face was already tighten with tension as he clenched and unclenched his fists.



-


He ran, as fast as he could, trying to get out of sight of the bunch of people chasing after him right now. The amount he owed to the debtors, calculating all the interests and it actually became 100 million won. He was in a near-death situation; those men aren’t going to let him off this time. If he doesn’t stop running, he was so sure that he’s going to lose his life.
He hid behind the walls of a building, hoping that they aren’t able to catch up with him. Seeing that they were nowhere in sight for a few seconds, he quickly pick up the public phone that he saw nearby. His hands were trembling while pressing onto the buttons as he tried to recall her mobile number. All the fears he was facing, he just hopes that she would answer the phone.

She flipped her handbag upside anxiously, trying to search for her mobile phone.

It was him.

“H-hello?”

“Chaerin ah, I-I’m i-in-”

Silence.

“Ji-y-yong? YAH!!”

They saw him, and he was back to running again.



-

“Why wouldn’t you listen to me? I told you to leave him; his life is just too complicated. Why do you make yourself so miserable over a jerk like him?” Dara yelled, slamming down her cup of soju on the table.

She just kept quiet like always, cupping her face on one of her hands while roaming her fingers around the tips of the cup.

She was just too stubborn.

Or perhaps she was too madly in love.

Sometimes, she wondered if she really made a wrong choice by making herself so deep in love with him.

What is so good about him exactly?

She didn’t know how to answer.

That very day he saw them together. She was forced to dine with the top racer. He threatened to remove her eligibility for the race using his relationships around if she declined to. She have to do it, no matter what, she can't lose her chance to win.

She had no choice.



-


He felt himself shivering as he reaches out for his phone.

“Is this Kwon Jiyong-ssi?”

“Yes. Who are you?”

“We’re coming from the hospital. We saw your contact number on the emergency number in Lee Chaerin-ssi’s mobile. She was in an accident and we-“

He hanged up and ran.

Running as fast as he could, he couldn’t understand why he ran too. Wasn’t he supposed to be angry over her? Why does he care so much for this women that was already over him? His legs just moved by its own the moment he heard that she had met with an accident. As he ran, all the memories flashed back again. They were coming back one by one, every single one that faded away that very day she left him.

His friends were already there with him.

They waited, waited and waited like how he waited for her that day. All horrible feelings are coming back to him again. He kept hitting the wall with his fist, trying to hide his fear that is indicted in his eyes.

Time seemed to have stood still. The silence was unnerving for him.

Then, the emergency room’s door was finally opened.

As he walked forward, he saw her, covered by a long piece of white cloth.

He knew exactly what happened.

She was gone and that he was all too late.

“J-jiyong-“

“N-noo. She is not. SHE IS NOT DEAD!” This time, he poured out all his grievances.

“JIYONG CALM DOWN!”

His friends pulled him away from her, trying to calm him down. But he just kept screaming her name, unable to contain his overwhelming emotions.

And that was the day he knew the truth.

Chaerin was working hard to win the race, hoping to win, not because of the championship but the prize that she will received.

100 million won.

She gave all her best in the race to fight against the ruthless racer and ended up losing her own life in an accidental.

His heart shattered and found his knees dropped on the ground.

This is his entire fault. She did these all for him and his repayment was slapping and beating crap out of her. His gambling and bad-tempered character ruined her life. He was the one who asked god to take her away.

That was one month ago.



-



He came in front of her grave again.

He felt his tears rolling down his cheeks slowly as he dialed her number on his mobile again, hoping that it’s just a dream and that she will answer the phone and starts scolding him again.

But no one answered…

He knew that this life, their love will never be that easy. When he finally realizes what's important to him, he already lost the chance to love her tenderly again.

He squatted down to placed her favorite flowers, white rose down, placing a kiss and lingered his fingers around her name that was engraved on the tomb.

“I promise you, our love will be so simple and easy next life.”

He gave a weak smile but still continued.

“I’m sorry but I love you.”

With that, he left.

If only love is that easy, they wouldn’t be apart, in two different worlds now.