Happy Birthday

Happy Birthday - Sungyeol

A soft, cozy and warm sweater hung over your body loosely, your favorite book laid over your lap while the tips of your fingers brushed over the paper pages, reclining back against the leather couch your head rested against the top cushion. Trailing your eyes across the page, your mind followed the storyline while the radio played a familiar song softly in the background. Flipping another page over, you pulled the sleeves over the palms of your hands, raising one of your hands to your lips, the side of your finger gently brushed against your lips while the scent of your boyfriend lingered on the sweater that was originally his.

Warmth radiated through your body while a smile curled on your lips, enjoying the quiet evening, you flipped over some more pages in your book before the front door clicked open and the chime sounded. Reading to the end of the paragraph, you shifted your eyes to the door as you saw your boyfriend come into his apartment.

“Hey Jagiya, I didn’t expect you to be here” Sungyeol sang as he ventured into the kitchen with a bag swinging in his hand. Lifting the bag up and setting it on the counter, he turned around and pulled a plate from the cupboard.

“I don’t have to be here, but I wanted to come and welcome you home” You placed a bookmark in your book before your eyes followed him around the kitchen.

“That is really sweet of you, you know” Sungyeol’s words happily reflected the smile that was already prominent on his lips. 

“I just do what I feel is right” You adjusted yourself on the couch to where you were kneeling on the cushions and your arms were folded on the back of the couch.

“That is what I love about you” He turns around and carries two small boxes over. “Have you had dinner yet?” 

Shaking your head back and forth, your eyes carefully followed him while he moseyed over and placed the two boxes on the couch-side table before plopping down on the couch right next to you. Lifting his arm up, he laid it on the top of the couch while you carefully leaned into his shoulder.

“Did you spend all day here?” Sungyeol questioned slowly wrapping his arms around your shoulders and slowly tightened them to pull you closer.

“Not all day, I was with my friends and family for the morning portion but then I came here” You rested your head against his shoulder letting your fingers brush and run along his.

“Anything fun or exciting happen to you today?” Sungyeol bit his lip after the question spilled from his lips, knowing today was your birthday, he hoped that someone showed you that you were important and that they valued you in their life.

“Hrmmm… not really, my friends bought me some things from some shops we went to but other than that it was just a regular day” You shrugged your shoulders as your fingers found a cool ring wrapped around his finger.

Waiting a few minutes, the soft music filled the space as Sungyeol tried to think of what to say to carefully introduce the present that was sitting next to him. 

“Did you have a good day at work?” You broke the silence as you turned over in his arms so you could wrap your arms around him.

“I did, it was busy but fun today” Sungyeol smiled down at you, brushing some hair out of your eyes and tucking it behind your ear.

“You’re so beautiful” His soft, deeper voice spoke those three words slowly

“Thank you” You blushed, dropping your eyes slowly. Sungyeol’s brown eyes slowly traced your beautiful features, your loving, sparkling eyes, your cute nose that fit your face ever so perfectly, your ears that he loved to drag his fingers across every ridge then finally around the shell of your ear.

“You’re quite handsome too” You lifted your eyes back up letting your eyes peer into his deep chocolate orbs.

“Did you eat dinner yet?” His cheeks slowly tinted from a gentle pink while his fingers slowly twirled the ends of your hair around his long fingers

“No, not yet. I was waiting for you to get home” You replied with a soft whisper.

“That is very sweet of you” Another soft kiss was amongst your hair before you felt him shift underneath you.

After a few seconds of him moving, he held out a small white saucer with a professionally decorated cupcake standing proudly on top of the white porcelain.

“What is this Yeolie?” You blinked a few times at the cupcake letting your brain try and search if you were forgetting that today was something special.

“It is a cupcake Jagi” Sungyeol chuckled as he sat up a little and rested his chin on your shoulder.

“I know that, pabo” You teased and ruffled his hair a little. “But what is it doing here?”

“I bought it” Sungyeol boasted proudly

“No duh” You shook your head while a bright smile pulled your lips upwards. Sighing slightly, you thought you would ask one more question and hopefully he won’t have a smart comment to spit back out at you. “Is today something special? I know you only buy sweets when something important has happened.”

“It’s your birthday” His voice was soft and loving, his eyes following the outline of your side profile as he almost couldn’t believe that you forgot.

“A-Ah right” You faked it.

“So this is for you, then I have something else for you too” Quickly shifting gears, he turned around once more and moved a brightly wrapped present and sat it in your lap. “Happy birthday~”

“Yeolie, they are both so pretty, I can’t eat the cupcake or open the present, they are too perfect” You remarked in awe as you took your phone out and snapped a picture.

“Perfect things are made to be enjoyed, that is what makes them perfect” Sungyeol smiled and kissed your cheek before he brushed the tip of his nose across your cheek so his lips were slightly brushing the shell of your ear.

“If I share the cupcake with you, will you open the present?” He wagered

“I do have to thank you somehow for remembering” You turned around to look at him in the eyes before pecking his lips lightly.

Shifting your eyes back to the gourmet cupcake, you lifted it off the saucer and then peeled the paper away from the base, Next, you broke off little bites and fed them to yourself and your boyfriend. The sun began to dip in the sky, the vibrant colors of dusk began to form against the clouds as the two of you enjoyed the last bites of the cupcake.

“Now unwrap your other present” Sungyeol instructed quietly while his fingers tapped the top of your present.

With an obedient nod from your head, you picked up the white box white your favorite color or ribbon tied the box together. Pulling a either end of the bow, you smiled as the ribbon fell on your lap and the white wrapping fell with it. Your eyes lit up with happiness as you saw what was hiding under the wrapping paper.

A brand new camera

“You didn’t have to get such an expensive gift, you could have just made a coupon book like you do for all of the other holidays” You remarked picking up the box, letting your eyes wonder over the packaging of the camera.

“Yah, I don’t do a coupon book for every holiday, just our anniversary. I do get you other things though, I know you just love using those and Woohyun said it was a good idea” He defended as you just chuckled. “I wanted to get you a camera, that way you can take pictures of me and you together and you can make some more things for us when you move in with me.”

His arms tightened around you while your heart skipped a beat. “M-Move in with you?”

“Eventually” He whispered, holding you tighter against him as you lifted the camera up out of the box. Exploring your new tool and toy, you lifted it up and found that the camera was fully charged.

“I thought we could take the first picture on this camera together… but it is your birthday so we don’t have to do it, I just thought it would be nice” Shrugging his shoulders, he wrapped his shoulders around you and rubbed your stomach with the edge of his thumb.

“I like that a lot” You lifted up the camera to find the perfect angle. “Smile Jagi” You cooed as he kissed your cheek as you snapped some pictures, with the two of you changing poses every time, the two of you took silly pictures, love filled pictures along with some selfies. Capturing everything you loved about him and him about you creating the perfect day, not to mention perfect birthday you could ever ask for.