Start and Final

Sinners in Heaven

“I got Kai to pick you up.”

Just then I see someone walking towards me. It’s his usual posture to walk with his hands buried in his pockets, his eyes down on the ground. He does it so naturally as if he knows how beautiful the sunlight bounces off his soft hair, how goddamn attractive he looks just walking.

“Saw him,” I mumble into the phone, eyes trained on the male. “See you later.”

I hang up the phone when Kai lifts his head and locks eyes with mine. I watch with my breath held as the corner of his lip curls up, my stomach lurching at the sight of him smirking. Kai gets closer and I almost forget to keep my phone and breathe.

“Hey,” he drawls, his low voice causing everything I learnt in my 19 years of living go to waste.

He takes a step closer towards me and extracts his hands from his pockets to place them on my hips. He lowers his head and I tip my toes tentatively, just enough for our lips to touch. His hands tighten on my hipbones, pressing his lips more firmly on mine. I try to push him away weakly with my hands on his broad chest, but he doesn’t budge. Instead, I feel his lips twitching into a smile before he finally pulls away.

“You shouldn’t have done that in the open,” I mutter softly, my lips.

Kai doesn’t reply, but he pulls me towards him. Just when I think he is going to hold my waist, he slips a sneaky hand into the back pocket of my jeans. My heart rate picks up with his intimate touch.

“Mina said to bring you to her place,” Kai informs me, staring at my side profile.

I nod, turning my head to face him. He swoops in for a peck on my lips and I scowl at him despite how hard my heart is thudding against my chest. I tell him, “She said she needs help on the decorations. Were you with her?”

“Yeah, I even helped her! I don’t think anyone in the world hates the colour purple as much as I do right now.”

I roll my eyes, “Talk to me again after you’ve done this, dressed head-to-toe in purple, for four years. And counting.”

Kai shakes his head, chuckling. He brings me back to his car, opening the door of the shotgun seat for me like the gentleman he is. Our entwined hands rest on his lap the entire ride to Mina’s house and he ever only lets go just to adjust the gear before holding my hand again.

Mina’s house is wrapped in different shades of purple decorations. Of course she has to broadcast to everyone what her favourite colour is. Typical Mina. A banner that reads ‘MINA’S 19TH’ in big, cursive font is hung on her front gate. Yes, typical Mina.

Just before we get out, Kai kisses me quickly before I can even avoid it. I swallow my nerves, leaving the car just as he does. Kai’s hands are back in his pockets, not holding me anymore. He walks next to me, a small, awkward space between us. His eyes are on the ground again even as we approach the house. The door bursts open to reveal a frazzled-looking Mina, who immediately pulls me into her home where everything is already nicely set up.

“I feel like I’m breathing purple already, good job! So, why am I here?”

My best friend ignores my comment on the decorations, instead beaming widely at me, “Make-up!”

I glance at Kai, who gives me a smug smile from behind Mina. I look back at my best friend, deadpanned, “So you called me over to decorate your face.”

She nods rapidly and I wonder how much coffee she has had. She pulls Kai forward as if presenting him to me, “He helped with the decorations.”

“Huh,” I lock eyes with the male. “Who knew he had the patience to do all these? Not to mention creativity.”

“Right?” Mina snorts. She pulls us towards the stairs, leading the way to her room.

Mina continues to chatter, oblivious to how Kai’s fingers tangle and play with mine all the way to her room. When we get to her room, she immediately sits in front of her vanity.

“You have to make me the prettiest tonight,” Mina pleads, giving me that look she knows I cannot refuse through her mirror. I sigh and she turns around to hit me lightly on the wrist. “You do my make-up every year, anyway. It’s tradition!” Then she sets her eyes on Kai who is on her bed, “Close your eyes, you can’t see me before I’m ready!”

Kai makes a sound of acknowledgment as he closes his eyes and readies himself for a nap. Mina and I don’t stop arguing over the choice of make-up I’m going to use, but Kai continues sleeping soundly. But he eventually wakes up when the doorbell rings to indicate the arrival of guests.

“How do I look?” Mina finally faces Kai, smoothing her dress nervously.

He steps towards her and I quickly announce, “I’ll get the door.”

I rush out of the room and thud down the stairs, opening the door hurriedly. I try not to think of Kai and Mina taking so much time together in her bedroom, so I busy myself with entertaining the guests. Half an hour after the party officially started, the house is packed with people. And just like how she wanted to appear at her birthday party, Kai and Mina walk down the stairs, her arm looped in his.

My heart feels constricted and I quickly escape into the backyard where there are more tables of food and fresher air. I fix the disposable plates even though they are already immaculately placed, making an effort to soothe my emotions. The party continues and I step away from the table so I don’t obstruct. I bump into someone and he holds me firmly around the waist, making sure I don’t fall.

Instinctively, I melt into his hold, his scent calming me. But then I remember, and I regain composure. I clear my throat, blushing as I turn to Kai, “Thanks.”

“I didn’t see you just now when I came down with Mina,” his eyebrows are knitted, as if trying to solve something.

“Too many people,” I wave my hand dismissively. I glance away from Kai, suddenly wanting to be away from him.

But Kai knows me too well. “I kept searching for you, you know.” He drops his voice even lower, murmuring, “I thought I’d get to see my girl.”

I give him a side-eye glance, pushing his arm playfully so that we appear as though we are just having a normal chat as friends. I hiss, “Kai, don’t.”

We lock eyes then, challenging each other and not backing down. The thing about Kai is that he likes to test and push his limit until someone calls him out on it. It may be thrilling and exciting, but I am more careful and fearful. Kai glances around the bustling place before staring down at me again.

“Everyone else is busy.”

“That doesn’t mean—”

“Kai!” Mina calls out from the house. “Kai!”

“Yeah?” he shouts back, not even planning to move towards the birthday girl.

“We’re playing a game!” my best friend approaches him, not seeing me there yet. Then she does and her expression brightens even more. Mina tugs on our wrists, bringing us back into the house, “Let’s play together!”

“No, no,” I shake my head, pulling my hand back. “You guys go.”

“Oh come on,” Kai chuckles, grabbing at my skirt and pulling me roughly towards him. I dart my eyes anxiously to Mina.

She’s grinning, unaware of Kai’s action and instead getting a hold of my arm. “Yeah, come on! Let loose, it’s my birthday!”

I feel Kai’s hand slipping under the fabric of my blouse, his thumb my skin cheekily. I slap his hand away as I get pulled away by Mina. I hear Kai laughing from behind me and I feel hot all over. We take our place in the circle of people, Mina standing between Kai and me. A guy immediately jumps into the explanation of the game. It’s a little jarring considering how we are intending to play Seven Minutes in Heaven at a birthday party. But seeing how even the birthday girl is anticipating the start of the game, I don’t say anything.

The rules for the first round are for all of us to finish a plate full of food and the last two will end up in the storeroom for seven minutes. The round begins and I see everyone inhaling their food. This game is to my disadvantage since I am a slow eater, and Kai knows that. He keeps track of my progress, occasionally watching me through his bangs as he matches our paces. And of course, we end up being the last two.

Everyone looks at Mina uncertainly and she laughs, sending us off light-heartedly. “I trust them,” she shouts to the group, pushing us into the storeroom. “Chicks before , right?” she winks at me. Just before she shuts the door, she pecks Kai on the lips and warns, “She’s my best friend, treat her with respect.”

We are then left in the stuffy room, locked from the outside. My heart beats fast and I’m almost sure Kai can hear it. It hasn’t even been 20 seconds since Mina left us when Kai whispers “I always do” and backs me against the wall.