'What a weirdo'

'What a weirdo'

 

Hongbin had been watching this guy sitting across him, doing nothing but stuffing his mouth with food ever since the night had started. He was just eating and eating and eating, sometimes nodding or shaking his head or giving one-word replies, but anyway he was completely absorbed in the food and did not seem like he was actually interested in anyone or whatever was happening around him.

He found him weird. Why agreeing to a group date if he doesn’t actually want to be there? Because he obviously didn’t want to be there, it was clear.

There had been about twelve people in that small karaoke room they had occupied for about an hour now. Six boys and six girls.

Hongbin only knew one person among the boys, Wonshik, whom asked him to come because they were short with one person. As for everyone else, he had no idea whom they were.

The girls were from another university and not from Hongbin’s. He found all of them nice and pretty, though, none of them actually caught his eyes. Somehow, there was something missing and his interest was not awakened. In the end the only thing that was on his mind all night was how it was a waste of money to give in Wonshik’s begging… and this guy stuffing his face as if he did not eat anything for days.

None of them actually sang, they all just sat at the table and drank their beers and talked, it was mostly the guy across him who was the only one touching the food and Hongbin kept thinking what this guy was doing there. Did he come for the food? Why coming when he could get so much better food anywhere than that place…

‘What was his name again,’ he thought ‘it was Taekwoon I guess. What a weirdo.’

He could not really tear away his gaze from his face which he did not actually show, almost all the time he was looking down – on the food -, showing the top of his head, not making eye-contact with anyone, let alone not conversing anyone.

Hongbin was sure the first and last time when he heard his voice saying ‘My name is Taekwoon’ was when all of them arrived to the building and introduced themselves.

He remembered how surprised he was, because honestly, his voice did not actually match his kind of cold, tough appearance. Even though he was handsome, tall with a nice body built, there was a weird mysterious atmosphere with him, a kind of like ‘better to avoid’ air, though, Hongbin noted it to Wonshik ‘girls are digging this type these days’.

Hearing his voice confused Hongbin. It was the perfect opposite of his appearance. It was sweet, gentle, kind of high instead of the deep voice Hongbin had imagined when he first saw Taekwoon and so, this controversy made him seriously think if this guy was some dangerous, better-to-avoid person or an actually perfectly normal, actually sweet fellow if he closed his eyes and only listened to his voice.

However, the more he watched Taekwoon the more confused he got.

What’s with this guy? He could not stop himself from thinking about him and no matter how much he wanted to enjoy the girls’ company and the drinks they poured to him and the ones sitting on his sides secretly snuggling up to him, all he did was watching Taekwoon, trying to figure him out. However, the more he tried the more confused he got.

There was this tough, cold looking guy with a rather adorable voice, stuffing his face all night, not really talking to anyone, or when he did reply it was either nodding or shaking his head or just one-two words reply on that voice that actually gave Hongbin goosebumps, he had no idea why, true, it was not unpleasant.

So what was his deal actually?

Hongbin found him rather interesting, maybe the most interesting person in the room and he wanted to laugh bitterly from having his interest aroused by another guy whom he did not even know, whom he had met for the first time and probably won’t see ever again – except if another group date will be organized and he will be invited.

Why was he invited though? He did not seem like he cared about anything – can it be the girls or… well, guys -, except for the food which must have tasted good judging from the amount he had already consumed.

‘He is rather adorable I guess’ Hongbin admitted to himself as he continued staring – trying not to be too obvious about it – at Taekwoon. As he filled his mouth having his cheeks become puffier, he gave an adorable impression and as he saw some of the girls watching him having literal hearts in their eyes, he realized it was not just him whom had found Taekwoon’s way of eating cute and for some reason this annoyed him who knows why.

He shook his head, took a sip from his drink that was just poured by a brown haired girl smiling at him charmingly, then he went back to his previous thoughts: why was he there? He thought he might have had the same reason as Hongbin – he was made to come. Judging from how he was mainly talking to the boy sitting next to him – he had a rather pretty face and admirable long neck, whom talked a lot together with another boy whom seemed to have a 4D personality, because he talked so much nonsense Hongbin felt tired listening to him -, he must have been the one whom brought him along.

His attitude suddenly became more understandable, not really being interested and just eating and listening.

Suddenly, his phone started to vibrate soon followed by a song that was his latest favourite one. The soft voice of the man he had admired more than anyone had immediately reached his heart, luring out a smile as he reached for his phone as slow as possible, so he could hear more of the song, maybe even reach the bridge that always thrilled his heart, because he was sure no one in this world can sing these two words, ‘happy together’ more beautifully than this man.

 

“Yes?” He answered the call as he stood up and left the room so he could speak with his mother – because his mother called him – without having to over-scream the 12 people making quite of a ruckus.

“Hongbin-ah, when are you coming home? It’s quite late.”

Hongbin checked the time, it passed 11 pm, “Soon, I think. Don’t worry, mom.”

“Take care of yourself, alright? You never know…” Her voice sounded worried and Hongbin had to smile. “Also, do not drink much, you hear me?”

“I won’t, I promise. Mom, you should go to sleep! I’m hanging up now!”

Hongbin smiled to himself as he put away his phone back to his pocket. Even though he was already 21 years old, his mother still worried about him this way whenever he went out. It did not bother him though, he appreciated his mother’s worries, she cared about him a lot and Hongbin was grateful to her.

 

When he went back to the room it was like as if no one even noticed he left, well, no wonder: the guy sitting next to Taekwoon, whose name if he remembered correctly was Hakyeon, was entertaining the ladies quite well, together with the 4D guy, Jaehwan, and even Wonshik had joined them making all the girls’ attention focus on them, perfectly forgetting about Hongbin or Taekwoon.

He sat back to his previous spot feeling kind of bitter, after all until he left, some of the girls were all around him and this kind of caressed his manly pride, now he was just thin air and he had to admit this kind of hurt that certain pride of his.

However, he was pleasantly surprised, because one person’s eyes had been fixed on him and his gaze was following him ever since he came back and as soon as their eyes met the man, whom had been sitting silently until now had finally talked and to no one else, but Hongbin.

“Do you like Park Hyoshin?”

Hongbin did not understand why he would ask this, why he would ask anything from him. He was actually quite surprised from the sudden came interaction, it took him as an actual shock and he could not make his brain work. He was just looking at Taekwoon with a rather stupid expression – he guessed – and he even felt shy as the man was looking straight at him with those weirdly attractive, mysterious eyes. He had goosebumps all over his body.

“Your ringtone…” Taekwoon explained as he noticed Hongbin’s puzzlement and his heartbeat suddenly quickened as he spotted the two, almost invisible red dots on his cheeks. “It was Park Hyoshin’s ‘Happy Together’. I’ve thought you might like him if you have his song as your ringtone…”

Hongbin was surprised by the literal word flood that left Taekwoon’s mouth, but he pulled himself together to finally answer, he did not want to look like an idiot, “Yes, I’m a huge fan! I like him a lot!”

“Me, too.”

That’s when it happened. Hongbin’s eyes widened and even his lips parted by the sight in front of him:

Taekwoon was smiling.

Not just a simple, polite kind of smile you put on your face when you meet someone for the first time and want to look nice or when you answer a question and put an imaginable dot at the end with it or when you start a conversation and smile so you would give the impression of being interested when you are actually not – no, it was not that kind of smile.

It was the most beautiful, most sincere smile he had ever seen. Not only his mouth, but even his eyes showed his honest feelings and Hongbin knew what he said was true.

That smile was truly happy, it was that kind which appears when a person talks about something they like.

Hongbin’s heart skipped a beat when he saw it, accompanied by his cheeks turning slight pink. For a few moments he could only stare at Taekwoon, he felt like as if he had seen something… he could not describe it with words.

When you see the first sunrise after a long, dark night? When those orange and pink colours are playing on the sky and you think there is nothing more beautiful or cleansing than that?
A sunrise compared to Taekwoon’s smile was nothing, that time that’s what Hongbin thought, it was a miracle and Hongbin was lucky to see it, nay, he way lucky it was aimed at him.

Hongbin knew. His heart skipped a beat, then started to beat faster than it already did making him scared it’s going to jump out of his chest. He felt as his cheeks were burning up and for a moment he had to bury it into his palms. He needed a few seconds, minutes to pull himself together and get over this moment.

Because he actually fell in love, he was sure about it.

That certain butterflies were flying all around in his stomach, his chest became tighter than ever, while he felt like it’s going to burst open from that feeling, suddenly, so out of the blue moving in.

He could not believe it. Hongbin came to this group date, because Wonshik begged him to go, then he spent the whole night basically analysing this guy sitting across him, then with just one smile he went ahead and fell in love with him.

It sounded ridiculous, but when he looked back at Taekwoon and their eyes met, Hongbin’s insides jerked… his chest ached, but it was a pleasant pain… and he felt like he could not breathe even though he could actually breathe perfectly well.

‘It must be love’ He thought and mentally he slapped his own face. ‘Good job Lee Hongbin, now you’ve done it. You’ve fallen for maybe the most unsociable… man… on Earth.’

He was definitely done for, that was his loudest and honest thought that time.

 

They left the karaoke place not long before midnight. Hongbin was already tired, he wished to go home as soon as possible, also, he just wanted to get away from Taekwoon, whom ever since they first talked – and Hongbin fell for him – had stared at him quite a lot, even started conversations.

Well, of course not such big talks like what university they attend or how old they are or what’s their full name, but more like ‘have you tasted the chicken?’ (because they had some chicken there) or ‘you should not drink that much’ when a girl noticed his glass was empty and wanted to refill it and though he aimed his words at Hongbin, the girl still stopped, looked at Taekwoon, blushed and turned away back to the others.

Hongbin would have lied if he said he did not enjoy being taken care of by him this way and he had this slight feeling he was older and that’s why he acted this way this way, it must have been his instincts? Who knows.

Either way, even though it was actually nice and he felt like a girl in her teen facing his crush, at the same time he thought he was going crazy from his heart threatening him with a heart attack and that uncomfortable feeling in his stomach, which was pleasant and unpleasant at the same time.

Escaping from that small room felt like Heaven and as he filled his lungs with air that was already quite chilly considering it was almost midnight.

He pulled his jacket together as he listened to everyone else talking they should go round two to a nearby bar and they were quite excited over their idea – except for Taekwoon, whom was just silently standing next to Hakeyon, also listening to them, wearing a more and more bewildered expression, which Hongbin surprisingly found cute again.

“I think I’ll pass.” Hongbin said turning to Wonshik. “I’m quite tired to be honest.”

Wonshik shook his head, grabbed his arm and wanted to pull him after himself once they departed, “Don’t be like that, come with us.”

However, Hongbin pulled away his arm and stepped back, “No, I really am tired. You guys go, have fun!”

Hongbin turned his back to the small crowd and wanted to leave, however, he heard that sweet voice calling after him and he automatically, without any thought, just stopped, as if that voice had some magical effect on him and controlled his body.

Hongbin turned back and saw Taekwoon approaching him, “I’m going the same way!” He said, then aimed his words to the crowd for a moment, “Hakyeon-ah, I’m leaving!” Then he walked up to Hongbin, stopped next to him and he repeated himself on a slightly shyer tone, while pointing forward, “I’m going that direction as well.”

Again, Hongbin would have lied if he said he was not happy leaving together with Taekwoon, nay, he felt like a dog with two tails, wagging both at the same time like a madman.

He just smiled to himself and hoped Taekwoon won’t see it in the dim light given by the street lamps, while they walked side by side, both silent for quite a while making Hongbin worried, because he actually lived only four blocks away… it was only about ten-fifteen minutes on foot.

Hongbin knew he had to come up with something or else they would just part without talking about anything… without knowing anything about the other, without the hope for maybe exchanging numbers and meet up again sometimes.

His goal was not actually getting together with him – he thought it was quite hopeless -, but maybe they could have become friends in the future and for him, that would have been enough as well.

However, Taekwoon might have thought about the same thing, because suddenly he asked out of the blue, “… a concert… have you ever been to his concert?”

Hongbin felt like he could fly only just hearing that sweet voice, however he tried to shrug these feelings off and replied, “You mean Park Hyoshin’s? Yes! I had the chance to go last year… I’ve never been able to get a ticket before that…” He let out a sigh.

“I actually never had been to one.” He mumbled. “Same problem. They always sell out…”

“Yes, yes!” Hongbin nodded rapidly. “They are so quick… Ah! I have a photo with him, want to see?”

Taekwoon nodded, he was wearing a curious expression and when Hongbin saw his face he almost dropped his phone, he had to scold himself mentally, ‘Hongbin, calm down, calm down, yes, he definitely is way too cute, but you have to stay calm’.

While struggling with his feelings, he finally took his phone out of his pocket and searched for the picture, then when he found it he turned the screen to Taekwoon, so he could see it, “Here.”

Taekwoon stared at the screen, then reached out to it and grabbed it, so he could stop the rapid wobbling caused by them walking – and Hongbin’s trembling hand… - and get a better look at the picture.

However, at the same time he touched Hongbin’s hand, too, and when his cold fingers touched his, he felt like an electric wave ran through not just his fingers, but his whole body. Even though his heart was already beating too fast, it still could become even quicker, while a lump appeared in his throat. He was sure his face was red as well.

“It’s a good picture.” Taekwoon said, then let go off his phone, together with his hand.

“I treasure it a lot.” Hongbin mumbled embarrassed as he put his phone back to his pocket. Then he looked up and realized they had arrived, or at least him, it was his apartment and as the thought they had to part already made him let out a disappointed voice as he stopped, “Oh.”

Taekwoon stopped as well and turned to him wearing a questioning expression, “What happened?”

“It’s” Hongbin smiled bitterly, pointing at the building. “it’s my building, I’ve arrived.”

“Oh. I see.” Taekwoon rubbed his nape. “Then… have a good night.”

Hongbin smiled waving, “You, too. Good night.”

Hongbin turned his back to Taekwoon and he heard from behind his steps coming from further and further.

He let out a sad sigh. His chest was aching and his head was full of what an idiot he was for not talking to him more, for not asking anything, for not asking for his number and maybe asking if they could meet up again sometimes. He lifted his fist to his forehead to hit his head, while grumbling ‘stupid, you stupid, Hongbin you are such an idiot’.

His steps came to a halt.

This is it? That’s all? Really?

He just could not continue walking and entering his building, his home and lie down to sleep full of regrets. He probably would not even be able to sleep. His thoughts would be all over what an idiot he was.

Hongbin took a deep breath, furrowed his eyebrows determined and while lifting his voice, saying only “Uhm!” he turned around only to stop all his movements and stare before himself, because there was standing Taekwoon not too far from him and he heard that sweet voice calling out to him as well, the same time as Hongbin did.

They were just standing facing each other, waiting for the other to say whatever they wanted, but that did not work, because as soon as one of them decided to finally talk, the other one wanted to speak as well, which resulted again an embarrassing silence, until they both just laughed.

Hongbin felt like he was enchanted. It felt like a dream. Taekwoon came back to him for who knows what reason and they just fell into a cliché movie scene and he was watching this person laughing on maybe the most adorable way on Earth, slightly bending forward bowing his head, and even though all Hongbin could see was the top of his head instead of his face, he did not mind it, not even a bit, because even like this the whole situation was precious, felt like a miracle.

“Maybe, we can meet again sometimes, when you are free?” Taekwoon jabbered, so he could speak before Hongbin would have said anything again. “Talk about songs and such… if you want to…”

Hongbin stepped towards Taekwoon until they were only 2-3 steps apart, “I think I can get two tickets for this year’s concert! So maybe we can go together… if you want to…”

They were staring at each other, not tearing away their gazes and Hongbin noticed it was not only him whose breathing was fast, almost wheezing. Was he mistaken if he thought it was not only him whom was excited over this? His heart was suddenly flooded by hope, hope for something more than friendship.

“Phone.” Taekwoon said reaching into his pocket hurriedly and pulling out his phone. “Can I get your number? So we can contact the other… for meeting up... and such. Or just talk, I’m not forcing...”

Hongbin smiled, he felt like he could fly again. He reached for Taekwoon’s phone while he handed over his and after he typed in his number he gave it back and asked, “What’s your full name? For the number… My full name is Lee Hongbin.”

“It’s Jung Taekwoon.”

Hongbin nodded smiling and typed in Taekwoon’s name, fighting the urge of adding a heart next to it. That would have been ridiculous.

“Then… I should go now.” Taekwoon mumbled and hesitantly waved, turned around and went a few steps only to stumble – but did not fall -, then turning back, waving again and hurriedly left the scene.

Hongbin entered the lift and as he leant against the wall waiting for reaching his storey, he lifted his phone to his forehead and with bright red cheeks he smiled as he mumbled, “What a weirdo… So cute…”

 

 

 


 

 

 

A/N:

For some change, yay, a LeoBin (Vixx) story~
Please, go easy on me, this is only my second Leobin and Vixx story I've written, I'm sure there are tons of errors and they are OOC and you might be annoyed with the Park Hyoshin cliché, but hey, I've enjoyed writing this and it's important to me, becaue I finally enjoyed writing for the first time in 200 years.

The title... I hate it though, but I honestly could not figure out anything, so yeah, that's it.
The description is horrible as well. BUT OH WELL. Let's hope you did not find the story as horrible as those two.

Thank you for reading!

P.S.
If you've read -> comment please.

P.S.S.
I'm not sure if I'll add a sequel, but to be honest I just had a sudden idea, so who knows.

P.S.S.S.
I do not think Leo is a weirdo before anyone gets the wrong idea. I hope you won't.^^
He is my bias. I love that kid tons.