Final

One in a Million

Jimin's bright eyes remained glued towards the big-ish television screen which stood right in front of him. He doesn't know what is on nor can he comprehend what the 'tiny people from within the screen' are talking about but he kept the screen switched on and the volume at a considerably high level. And he continued to stare.

This is better than doing my assignments, he thought and sighed out unintentionally, trying to keep himself very much distracted. At one point of time, however, he did question if he should go and really catch up with his assignments. But he decided against it because it's totally normal for college students to procrastinate. And procrastinating, he most definitely was doing. Besides, he wasn't in the best of moods.

 

Park Jimin was normally a cheerful person, with a little too much brightness for anyone to handle. While a small group of people might find this brightness strange, many didn't think so. And one of these many people was none other than Min Yoongi, Park Jimin's best friend and roommate. Well, technically, at least.

 

A loud cheer sounded from the speakers of the video-audio set but Jimin chose that moment to turn away, towards the sober mild yellow walls. His glistening eyes caught sight of the oddly flowery calendar, in juxtaposition with the bland walls.

 

Seven days left...

Seven days left for Min Yoongi to come back. And this thought alone brought a smile, ever so small, to Jimin's eternally smooth face.

 

Allow me to introduce a little about Min Yoongi -

Min Yoongi was Jimin's best friend and is still is. When they first met in middle school, something unexplainable within the both of them happened and the duo just clicked instantaneously though they were polar opposites. And they have been inseparable since then -

Jimin was eccentric, erratic, noisy, loud, outspoken, extroverted, cheerful and clumsy. And yet he was caring and kind. He had a bubbly personality which was contagious and had a strong sense of will power and determination. In fact, if you searched his classmates' thesaurus, 'Jimin' would be synonymous with 'optimism'.

On the other hand, Yoongi was quiet. Being an introverted person, he refused to mingle with people on a regular basis even though he wasn't particularly bad at it. He was lazy, laid back, careful and stoic in character. Though not rude, he came off as cold and mean because of how he usually was. Unlike Jimin, he lacked a whole lot in the 'determination and will power' aspect.

Considering these obvious differences, no one knew how these two dorks got along but they just did. No explanation, no complication. One might call it fate, one might call it coincidence, but this much was certain. They were soul mates, platonic or not. In fact, so much so that they coincidentally went to the same high school during which they became even closer and later on, got an apartment together for their college years.

 

Now, Yoongi was senior to Jimin by two years. So when the elder reached his third year of college, he was selected by the institution for his talent for an exchange program in America for a year. And if the results were good, the program would extend for two more years. His original choice was to reject the offer because he preferred to stay at his home country, with his loved ones. His parents seemed to accept his choice, though regretful that they had such a 'devout' son. However, Jimin would hear none of it.

The best friend, like all other best friends, knew that this program was a huge opportunity for Yoongi to 'go out' and experience the world. Furthermore, it gave him a better ground to improve his skills in what he loved doing - photography. Besides, he would end up loving the new sights, Jimin was sure of it. So it was none other than Park Jimin, the self acclaimed best friend on Min Yoongi who literally hauled up his and helped him pack and do the needful.

And of course, Yoongi had no chance nor did he have the grounds to say no.

 

The farewell party was nothing close to extravagant. Heck, it wouldn't even reach the level of 'decent' if you really looked at it. But neither of the two paid heed to it. After all, it was decent enough for them and they didn't have to impress anyone else anyone since the party was only meant for the two of them.

To visualize, the 'party' consisted of the two roommates doing some crappy things like cooking (they normally ordered out) and trying out an expensive bottle of wine, which was a present from Yoongi's father. (Not really. Mr. Min just handed him some cash and Yoongi decided to spend a part of it on the wine)

~~~

"Don't miss me too much," Yoongi had teased the cheerful ball of sunshine, who was getting nowhere near drunk though he had had his third bottle of beer. Wine was good, the both of them had agreed, but nothing beats beer.

Jimin spurted out his drink, laughing hysterically. Maybe he was close to being drunk after all.

Yoongi cringed a little, though still retaining that smile, to see the mess created by his roommate but he chose not to say anything against it. Why? Because it was Jimin's turn to clean the apartment the next day.

"Please, hyung," Jimin replied, catching a hold of his breath and wiping his mouth with the end of his loose sleeve. "Don't flatter yourself. As if anyone would miss you," he concluded triumphantly. Which led to a chuckling Yoongi. That brat could have at least played along, couldn't he? Oh well...

Turning sullen all of a sudden, Jimin's voice tuned down by a whole pitch. "Jokes aside, hyung..." His grip on the slowly warming beer bottle in his hand tightened ever so slightly. Yoongi pretended not to notice this uncalled for action and allowed the younger to continue though he was slightly curious as to why he did so. Would the younger really miss him?

"You'd better study hard and give your all when you're there. No lazing around, got it?"

Yoongi snickered again. "Yes mom," he teased.

"I'm serious," Jimin said, his face turning concerned now. "This is a huge opportunity. Don't blow it..."

Yoongi felt the need to interrupt at this juncture but he was given no such chance. In fact, he was completely denied the right to even make a peep before Jimin completed his long lecture, let alone defending for himself.

"I know you, hyung. You're the type to laze away to glory until the end of the semester and yet, magically pass the class. That too, with marks considerably higher than an averagely good student."

"Hey," Yoongi finally managed to interject, his air of self acknowledgement and self importance growing thicker by the second. "I'm sorry I'm a born genius." He shrugged his shoulder with a cheeky smile and kept observed Jimin's reaction with his vigilant eye.

Jimin continued his rants, prescribing the elder with a long list of do’s and don’ts. And though Yoongi didn’t register everything in his mind, he simply let out several “okay”s and nods of his head to show that he was listening. Or at least pretending to.

“...Also, no carousing too much with girls, got it? Or even with boys, for that matter. Girlfriends and boyfriends are allowed but no dilly dallying too much. Remember, you are going there for educational purpose. Not for searching a life partner for yourself.”

Yoongi’s smile faltered at this point. He looked down to his hand which gripped on the chilled bottle of beer.

“Do you understand me?” Jimin pestered the elder for an ‘okay’ or at least a nod of the head but his companion made no such reply.

 

The elder regained a small smile in a short while. “You don’t have to worry about that one, you lower leveled ape.” The listener wasn’t impressed with the name calling so he could do nothing but counter it with his own set of names.

“And why is that, my insufferable beloved?”

 

Yoongi rolled his eyes dismissively but his mind was anything but dismissive. It was about time that he let Jimin know – about how he had fallen in love with the cheery baby faced idiot during his first year on high school and how he had been falling ever since. Yoongi thought that he should let the younger take responsibility about how he was the prime criminal guilty for making Yoongi speechless, awed, jealous, happy and everything else in between with just simple actions like smiling and breathing.

“Hellooo...” Jimin interrupted the thinker’s thoughts. “Awesomeness to ground breaking weirdness. Do you copy?”

Yoongi’s gaze focused to Jimin’s face which had come visibly closer to his own. And right at that very moment, he felt nothing but utter confidence.

Being the “genius” he was, he was aware of Jimin’s consideration towards him. They were closer than the average friends, that much was obvious to any person that came across them. They were practically lovers if you looked a little closer. But the head pounding fact was that they weren’t. Why, you ask? Because of their very own reasons which will be explained very clearly...

The only thing keeping them apart was not their differing emotions (no, they were both sure that they were both in love with each other) or their anxiety of what would happen once the confession was launched in the air. This scenario could make the atmosphere awkward to the point of making it unbearable. But let me assure you. These were definitely not the reasons.

The oh-so-thin line laid in the lack of responsibility and will power of both members to actually come up with the proposal. They both automatically assumed that they were something more than a couple and they were perhaps too lazy to develop the relationship as they already knew and trusted the other so much that it even made married couples jealous. I mean, after all, one look at the duo and you could practically see the love and companionship oozing out though their relationship was not established.

“Sometimes I wonder if you were born stupid or you had special education for it,” Yoongi mumbled but was clear enough for Jimin to hear. “What was that, you endearing piece of ?” Jimin smiled the specially preserved smile which scared even Yoongi at times. It was that one special smile, reserved for the people whom the normally cheerful male swore to pulverize – the overly bright smile where his eyes were colder than the weather in the North Pole.

“You know very well why you don’t have to worry about that,” Yoongi said tactfully avoiding Jimin’s eyes. The younger forgot all about his menacing thoughts of actually killing his roommate and returned to how he usually was, curious and dumbstruck.

“Huh? What do you mean?”

The elder spoke no more and turned away, animatedly letting out a heavy sigh. “Hyung!” Jimin whined, tugging onto his left shoulder. The pestered upon male let out a silent laugh. This bloody tease was going to be the death of him.

Turning very suddenly to the whining idiot, Yoongi pulled the opposite face towards him (more like yanked) and with him leaning forward at the same time, their lips met right in the middle. And know this - ‘Magic’ wasn’t even close to describing the feeling that came from the sudden contact. The initiator of the action felt his eyes close in slow motion.

 

Yoongi slowly pulled away when he felt the younger smile into the kiss.

“Oh crap!” he heard a lingering whisper which was accompanied by a chuckle. Yoongi opened his eyes, smiling back but clearly confused. What sort of a reaction was that?

“I just realized something,” Jimin said, his voice almost inaudible. His hot breath lingered on Yoongi’s own lips due to the proximity of their faces but neither of them moved away.

Jimin’s smile widened as he opened his eyes. “I definitely found another reason to miss you even more now.”

The joy of the elder male was indefinite upon hearing this. But, unable to do any other logical thing, he simply kissed Jimin again. “I thought,” he said, feeling breathless but overtly elated. He was now in the midst of showering his now definitely established lover and boyfriend. “you said you wouldn’t miss me?”

Jimin giggled (which he thought later on wasn’t very manly but Yoongi said nothing against it). “I never said that hyung,” he corrected. “I only said “as if anyone would miss you”, remember?” he quoted himself and got off with a smug look on his face. Bloody language students…

~~~

 

Jimin sighed as if the world were on his shoulders.  He never thought that he would miss his lazy of an idiot boyfriend so much even though he had estimated it to a certain level. Sure, they called each other and skyped almost every single day but that wasn’t close to filling the void in his heart whenever they ended the conversation.

 

Seeing that this longing wasn’t doing him any good, he changed his mentality and took another strong headed look at the calendar on which the 29th of November was marked with a red marker. Just seven more days – one more week and Yoongi would be home.

He reached for the remote on the table to turn off the television. Maybe he would go do his projects after all. Probably to pass the time to keep Yoongi off of his mind or something; which worked with skyrocketing results as Jimin’s thoughts were now filled with curses for his “stupid sadistic teachers with their endless projects”. He kept on grumbling when all of a sudden…

“Balalalala!”

 

Jimin recognized that ringtone. It was Yoongi calling. So quick was he to switching off the television that he almost fell to the floor by slipping on a pillow which was placed carelessly right under him. But he saved face and answered the call in a totally normal way.

“Hello, my undeniably slothful partner.” Jimin could hear Yoongi smile through the speaker. “Likewise, my airheaded ball of restlessness.”

Jimin giggled. “Wow hyung. That really made my heart skip a beat,” he said with his usual witty sarcasm. Yoongi answered with an equal level of witticism, “Like yours didn’t make mine stop altogether.”

A comfortable routine silence followed after which both participants in the call chuckled. It was amazing how Jimin’s melancholic mood just changed upon hearing Yoongi’s voice.

 

“So,” Jimin spoke first this time round, “one week till you come back.” The speaker heard the listener chuckle, with that daft air of importance. “Someone’s missing me a little too much, aren’t they?” Jimin heard Yoongi comment and he, though a little embarrassed to admit, made another comeback which sounded strangely sarcastic. “Sure, I am.” And whether the sarcasm was indeed intended or not, neither one really bothered.

Jimin was alert enough to hear the honking of the horns in the background. “Are you still outside?” he asked, curious enough to care for his boyfriend’s location. Yoongi replied with a yes. “I’m on my way home.”

“Is it afternoon there in America?”

“Kind of.”

“Did you eat yet?”

“Yeah.”

“How’s the weather there?”

“It’s snowing. Like in Korea.”

Jimin was quick to ask how he knew about the weather in Korea. But Yoongi wasn’t even surprised at Jimin’s obvious question. It was stupid, typical Park Jimin.

“It’s on the news, .”

“Ah,” Jimin realized his mistake and laughed it off. Stupid me…

Yoongi rolled his eyes once again with a chuckle as he walked along the brightly lit and decorated road. What would he do with this adorable beagle?

“Are you done with your farewell party?” Jimin continued to ask randomly. He urged himself up on the couch now, picking up the pillow that he had almost fell on and squeezing it in between his chest and free hand. He laid flat on the couch and continued to speak into the phone as if the world (and his posture) didn’t matter.

“We’re supposed to have it today. At eight o’clock, I think,” Yoongi replied.

“You’re going, right?” Jimin enquired curiously, if not nosily. Yoongi simply hummed with an aura of non-chalance, causing Jimin to spring out of his sleeping posture to scold the elder.

“Min Yoongi. You go and attend this party. I did not let you go to America just so you can shirk off social…” he was about to ‘rap’ out when Yoongi interrupted, unaffected by his beginning lecture. “Pipe down, mom,” he laughed. “I’m not going because I’ve got something to do. Besides, a party isn’t really my scene.”

It was Jimin’s turn to hum in response. He knew that Yoongi never really liked crowds so he needn’t explain any further.

“Leaving that aside,” Yoongi suddenly said, catching all of Jimin’s attention. “I wanted to ask something.” Jimin’s silence was Yoongi’s cue to continue.

 

“How would you want to get married?”

 

Jimin’s bodily movements, including his respiration, came to a sudden halt altogether. This was accompanied by a sudden wave of goose bumps passed through his whole body because what? Did he hear that right?

“How would you want to get married?” Yoongi repeated. “Or get proposed to, for that matter?”

“Hyung…”

But Yoongi didn’t allow the listener to speak. It was imperative that he continued without interruption. “In a fancy restaurant?” he asked, seeming cheerful and curious, “Or in a beautiful garden – like how your dad proposed your mom?”

Jimin made another attempt to interrupt again but Yoongi did not allow him. “Do you want it to be in a park, near the swings? Or during a picnic? Or…” Yoongi continued speaking as he walked across the road. The green lights blinked indicatively signifying the soon to change lights from green to red for the vehicles to pass. His breath fogged past his snuggly knit, beige colored muffler as he continued to speak into his cell phone.

“You’ve never liked the getting down on one knee thing, did you?” he said. Jimin just shook his head, smiling to himself like an idiot. It was, again, breathtakingly sweet how Yoongi knew almost everything about the younger man.

“I suppose we can scrap that out then,” Yoongi said, spiritually feeling Jimin shake his head through the phone. How this was possible, no one knew. It just was possible.

“Hyung,” Jimin finally managed to interrupt. “Whatever you have planned, you know you can’t do it in Korea, right? Gay marriages aren’t legalized here.”

 

Yoongi pushed the small gate open which led to his apartment. As it creaked open, he tapped his right foot twice, as was his habit, before making his way to the stairs and climbing up. His phone was still pushed against his ear, enabling him to listen to Jimin’s melodious and tuneful voice. “I know. That’s why I’m making certain of some things.”

 

Jimin was yet again rendered speechless. He simply hoped that his hyung wasn’t doing what he thought he was going to do. But at the same time, he hoped that his hyung was doing what he was suggesting.

“Yoongi hyung,” Jimin finally called out, wanting to make sure of this fleeting feeling his chest caused all because of the one and only Min Yoongi. He was completely wary of his voice and what he was about to say.

“What is this call about?”

Jimin heard Yoongi pause for a second or two. A deep breath, not shaky in even the slightest way followed. The younger decided to speak. But of course, right as he was about to do so…

“Isn’t it obvious?” Yoongi said. However, to prove its jerk nature, the phone suddenly cut right then.

“Hello?” Jimin called out but realized that the call was cut upon hearing the beeps of the machine. He was about to search through his call logs and demand an answer from his stupidly playful hyung and appease his mind when all of a sudden, the loud ringing of the doorbell caught his attention.

 

Robotically, Jimin stood up and walked towards the door, his left hand holding his cell phone but his mind still preoccupied with the conversation he just had.

He unknowingly opened the door only to be greeted by a very familiar figure right in front of him.

 

 

“Let’s get married,” Yoongi’s soft voice ringed in Jimin’s ears. The elder’s face was plastered with a warm smile, anticipating for nothing else but an affirmative answer.

Jimin held the knob of the door, shocked, surprised and overwhelmed at the current situation. There were endless questions in his head but one look at Yoongi’s smiling features made all these thoughts irrelevant. He had no idea why but he felt his eyes and nose sting a little as his smile widened automatically.

A small whisper, almost inaudible but ironically loud enough to Yoongi sounded as the reply…

“Okay.”

 

 

A/N:

That was like Fuwa, fuwa!! ( * ~^w^)~

I had mentioned that there would be alternate endings. But sadly though, my sister and the person whom I have written this for wants a NON ANGST story! Tch! (Geez, they seriously don't know how to live...)

Oh well, I had fun writing this one. Hope you liked it...

Oh and yes, josarang, this one's for you! (I know I'm three days early in wishing you but as I'm a busy person, you should understand, ne? XD

 

 

Do comment and provide feedbacks...

Indefinitely,

TypicalFangirl09