Long Time No See

Black Strings

"Good morning Lady Aedda! Get up, get up now," Hyo Jin barged in on Aedda's room with excitement and pulled the covers off her body.

 

"5 minutes... Let me sleep more, will you?" Aedda's voice is raspy and irritated. She hated waking up so early in the morning especially when it's a Saturday.

 

"Stop being a kid my lady. Today's the cleansing ritual before your marriage to the Geomi Jeongsin. Although it's still a month before that, you still have to prepare yourself," Hyo Jin's voice became sad, but still caring and sensitive. She knows Aedda doesn't want to be married to the Spider Spirit, but they can't go against the tradition.

 

Aedda fell silent, still lying on her bed, she buried her face on her pillows and tried to convince herself to do what is right. Hyo Jin prepared Aedda's clothes and together they went to the dining area to have breakfast first. All the important people were gathered there: her father who is the clan head, Granny Hye and Sora, Grandpa Hongseok and the other elders. During special occasions, all of them gather during breakfast to start the day right and make sure that everything is planned.

 

"Good morning Aedda, how was your sleep?" one of the elders greeted with a happy smile.

 

"Good morning too, I had a good sleep. Thank you," she answered with a forced smile and sat on her chair around the table.

 

The breakfast continued with the elders chatting about stuffs that Aedda can't understand. After eating, Hyo Jin led Aedda to the sacred bath where the cleansing would take place. She helped Aedda undress herself and guided her to the pool where the water flows infinitely. There are streams of water overflowing from the eight huge granite vases situated around the octagon-shaped pool. The trees and flowers surrounding the place are always on full bloom and its colors are alive. This sacred bath was used by all the sacrificial maidens since the beginning.

 

"I didn't know such a wonderful place like this existed in  our village. It's so amazing," being her first time to enter such an enchanting place in the whole village, Aedda was struck with wonder as she turned her eyes around to see everything. 

 

"It's only today that I learned about this place, too. I'm honored to be able to come here with you Lady Aedda. Please take your time to cleanse your mind and body," Hyo Jin said as she watch Aedda walk down the steps to the pool of sacred waters. Only the sacrificial maiden can bathe in it, more so can step inside its waters. Hyo Jin just watched in awe as Aedda washes herself while enjoying the cool feeling.

 

After about an hour in the water, Aedda felt fresh and renewed. Even for just a moment she forgot all about the burden she's carrying and all about the fears she's keeping. The day went by smoothly, Aedda was back to her lively and happy self and she planned to go to the river where she used to play with the boy she remembered.

 

"Today seems to be a very wonderful day... Lala la lala... Ahihi, I wonder what's with me today? I'm such a happy bunny!" Aedda was jumping and dancing and humming while  walking towards the river beyond the garden forest. She was happy and excited for a reason unknown to her but still she keeps heading for the place where she feels most comfortable.

 

While slowly walking, looking down on her feet and humming, Aedda heard a familiar sound of rock thrown on water... 'plak' 'plak' 'splash'. She looked instantly to where it came from and was astonished at what she saw.

 

"Why is he here? Or rather, is that him?" she asked herself when she saw the same little boy with the black hair, that when the sun reflects on his hair, it turns into a shade of red, sitting by the riverbank and throwing little rocks. "Wait. Am I hallucinating? It can't be," she asked herself again and walked slowly towards the boy. He looked at her and smiled, the old sweet smile that she remembers, it's still the same. "Why is my heart racing? Why does it feel hot all of a sudden? What is this weird feeling in my stomach?" she stood there, frozen and stunned with wide open, when all of a sudden the little boy she was looking at turned into a tall, manly man with a nice, toned body. Aedda instantly snapped out and blushed at the sight of him.

 

"Long time no see, Lady Aedda. Nice to finally see you again," the guy was suddenly in front of her, tousling her hair and smiling widely at her. This made Aedda's innocent heart skip a beat, or more like it literally stop for a moment.

 

"W- wait... Y- you know me?" Aedda asked stutteringly while trying to hide her flushed face.

 

"Of course! How can I forget you? We used to play here when we were kids," the guy answered with a chuckle. And then he held Aedda's hand to lead her to a shaded area where they could have a seat and do some catching up.

 

"You mean, y- you are that kid? The one who came from another village?" Aedda asked, finally feeling comfortable around him and sitting beside him.

 

"Yeah, you finally remembered," he answered, always smiling, showing off his bunny teeth, like he was super glad to see Aedda again.

 

"What was your name again? I'm sorry it's rude of me to forget your name when you clearly remember mine," Aedda apologized, but it's true, she can't remember his childhood friend's name and the name of the first boy to make her heart beat so unusual.

 

"It's okay, kids usually forget names easily," he said, and extended his hand for a shake, "I'm Jungkook of the Jeon clan, I moved here about 10 years ago and now my family is settled here," he introduced himself.

 

"Hmm... Jungkook... Nice to meet you again," Aedda's smile was the sincerest and brightest that anyone could have seen of her as she reached for the hand that offered a shake.

 

 

Is this the start of something to look forward to in Aedda's young life? Who is Jungkook to Aedda? What may happen to their blossoming friendship in just a month's time before her marriage to the Jeongsin?