duet: keo

[차가운 밤에] On a Cold Night

2. keo

( “i did it,” hakyeon cheers at himself, smiling proudly that night behind the kitchen counter as the other four members gathered. it was almost 4, taekwoon is asleep in his bed, too tired to realise that the others aren’t there. “he let me listen to his song.” 

jaehwan snorted, “just because you’re weak, thats why you go first.” 

“you’re just jealous,” hakyeon retorted. “i dare you to do better than me.”

“your dares are like cucumbers.” he dumbly stated. "damn it."

“he’s nervous.” sanghyuk pointed out, chucking. they laughed, only to be silenced by wonshik, ‘hyung is a light sleeper.’

“let’s sleep, jaehwan has a big day ahead.” hakyeon teased. but they agreed to sleeping and crawled into their own bed as silently as possible. )

 

“hyuuuuunnggg,” jaehwan plopped himself next to the other singer on the couch in their living room. whining and pouting in a way that makes hakyeon cringe and sends him a finger when he thinks that jaehwan isn’t seeing. hongbin laughs and mouths ‘hopeless’ to him. 

taekwoon doesn’t realise though, he smiles down at the boy. “yeah?” taking note of the way jaehwan bites down on his lips -a sign of nervousness. “anything wrong?” concern seeping into his voice.

“you’re almost never home,” jaehwan said, pouting because really, he misses the light touches and breaths on his neck, the small smiles and morning cuddles. not just because of their plan, but because he really is purely worried about taekwoon. 

taekwoon looks genuinely surprised, “i was working on the song- i, i’m sorry.” 

“i missed you.” jaehwan whispered, so that hongbin and hakyeon wouldn’t hear the emotions in his voice, because they’re for taekwoon to hear and taekwoon only.

it was silence between them for a while, appreciating each other’s presence. “let’s go out today.” 

it surprises jaehwan.

“not like out out, but y’know…”

he chuckled, “that coffee shop downstairs?” 

“yeah.” 

“alright, let’s go.” 

 

taekwoon sipped on his latte, squinting his eyes at the boy across. jaehwan has this look on his face that either means he is up to something that is highly questionable or he is hiding something highly questionable. everything jaehwan do is highly questionable, actually, so taekwoon waits for jaehwan’s words.

“hakyeon hyung said he listened to your song,” jaehwan fiddled with the hem of his jumper as he awkwardly trying to smile a non-awkward smile. taekwoon raised his eyebrows in question, this really is highly questionable.

“uh-huh?” 

“he said it was really good!” jaehwan jumped excitedly in his seat, and taekwoon is torn between bring him for a full body check up incase he has bipolar disorder and petting his fluffy hair that makes him want to keep stray kittens. he slaps himself on he spot. the things lee jaehwan does to him. “apparently it touches hearts and wakes up souls of the dead.” jaehwan recites dramatically, like when he was forced to read shakespeare in front of the class in 9th grade.

there was a short pause between them; taekwoon tilted his head ever so slightly, squinting his eyes at jaehwan. the younger coughs awkwardly, and goes back to sipping his iced coffee, squirming uncomfortably under the intense gaze.

“jaehwan, what exactly are you up to?” 

“n-nothing!!!” he chokes of his iced coffee, face flushing a whole new shade of red as taekwoon watches him in amusement, “nothing big.” 

“so there is something.” 

“NO!!” he replies, almost too quickly, “i- i mean, no, there's nothing.” 

taekwoon gives an unconvinced face, and jaehwan slumps in his seat like a kid being told off. “fine, i wanna listen to it too. not fair because I was always the one that listens to your songs first,” he pouts, mumbling the last bit.

still unconvinced, taekwoon scooped up a piece of strawberry shortcake and stuffed it into his own mouth, humming in delight as the cream enlighten his tastebuds. “is that it?” he asks.

jaehwan shrinks further into his seat, then he says it, voice small and quiet, “i wanna sing it with you.” 

taekwoon smiles like he’s been waiting for it, “i thought i’d have to beg.”

“wait, what,” jaehwan looks up, his back straightens almost immediately, the chair squeaks against the floor tiles. “really?!” he asks, “wait like really really? like seriously honestly no joking really?” 

“yeah,” taekwoon nods, “why, you don’t want to?”

“are you kidding me?! of course i’d love to!” jaehwan excitedly bounces in his seat, taekwoon resists his urge to bring the younger to the doctor because he swear jaehwan looked like a kicked puppy just a second ago. “lets head to the studio right after this, okay?”

“chill, child.” he knocked his knuckles on jaehwan’s head, ever so lightly. the younger makes a face, lips pouted and eyes shut, shaking his head making it look like taekwoon’s hit sent a blow to his head. “we’ll go and listen to the track itself, but i’m not done with the lyrics yet so…” 

“tell me when you’re done, then!” jaehwan nods.

“sure.” mutual understanding, jaehwan can’t write lyrics. he watches as the younger happily sing-song-ed, cutting a piece of taekwoon’s cake, shoving it past his own lips, cream attaches themselves on the side of his mouth.

“that happy?” 

“mm-hmm!” jaehwan beams, spoonful of strawberry shortcake still in his mouth, eyes turning into crescents as he smiled at taekwoon. taekwoon lets out an amused chuckle, reaching out to ruffle the younger’s hair. 

“cute.” he says.