1/2

I Like You

The first time Sungyeol had any sort of contact with Myungsoo was in his second semester of his freshman year during lunch in the cafeteria. He was with his friends talking about ridiculous things teenagers usually talk about. While he was laughing about something stupidly greasy Woohyun was saying, he unconsciously turned his head to the side. It was then, he made eye contact with the boy known as Myungsoo.

 

Myungsoo was a mysterious boy, but  he was quite popular in the school. He was known to be quiet, but his intense stare was enough to make the girls squeal. Though he was silent most of the time, he still sat at the popular table with many friends surrounding him, so when Sungyeol caught his gaze, he brushed it off thinking it was a mere coincidence.

 

Sungyeol wasn’t unpopular or anything; he was simply average. He made childish jokes in class earning him the title of choding jokester. He was also very friendly and so anyone who talks to him, immediately falls for his kindness. He was the kind of person that anyone could click with, but he wasn’t in the same status as the “popular” people. And really, he couldn’t care less. He was just a happy go lucky think of the now kind of student.

 

The second time Sungyeol made contact with Myungsoo was in the hallway, sometime near the end of the semester. He and his friend Dongwoo were walking to their lockers and Myungsoo was rushing to who knows where when he accidently dropped his wallet.

 

“Hey!” Dongwoo shouted, “You dropped this.” Myungsoo froze and oddly slumped his shoulders. Being the angel he was, Dongwoo ran to Myungsoo and gave him his wallet. Myungsoo reached for it, but not before looking at Sungyeol who was a few steps away from them. They made eye contact again, and for some reason, Sungyeol thought there was a flicker of disappointment, but he quickly brushed it off as part of his imagination.

 

“Thanks,” Myungsoo said cooly and walked away, no longer in any rush.

 

The third time they made contact was the beginning of their first semester in sophomore year. They had the same homeroom and this year the teacher told them they could choose their seats. Something about being old enough to choose seats and not disrupt the class by talking their friends. Sungyeol didn’t know anyone in the class so he sat in the first seat his eyes landed on. Next to his seat was another boy.

 

“Hi, my name is Sungyeol,” he greeted giving his new seat neighbor his gummiest smile he could muster.

 

The guy smiled back, “The name’s Neil.” They shook hands and started talking about how they were lucky to get Mrs. Park as their homeroom teacher. She was rumored to be extremely chill and nice compared to the other sophomore teachers.

 

In the middle of their conversation, Sungyeol heard a thump on the other desk beside him. Sungyeol turned around to welcome his other new neighbor, but he was shocked to find out it was Myungsoo. He and Sungyeol were not friends, nor were they acquaintances so the latter was a bit confused. There were plenty of seats left empty, so he wondered why he chose to sit there. It was a very random seat. It wasn’t in the back of the class, nor was it in the front. It wasn’t even beside a window, but Sungyeol just dismissed his confusion. He concluded that the guy had probably done the same as him and chose the seat he first saw.

 

Like he did with Neil, Sungyeol greeted him with a gummy hello, but unlike Neil, L just stared at him with his very intense eyes and nodded. Sungyeol felt a little uncomfortable, so he nodded back and continued his conversation with Neil not noticing Myungsoo putting his head down, with his arms covering his face.

 

It was a long sophomore year but during the year, Sungyeol and Myungsoo barely spoke to each other. Sungyeol  would always talk to Neil and they would always partner up for any class projects. Myungsoo on the other hand would always be surrounded by a group of people and then he would always have someone new as his partner for all his classmates wanted a turn. It was if they never really sat next to each other.

 

Sungyeol and Myungsoo did not see each other the whole first semester of their third year. Sungyeol did not notice this until he took a walk and saw Myungsoo in a park. He was oddly clad in all black. In school, he would always be wearing fashionably bright clothes and would never be caught in a more than worn sweats and an oversized hoodie. Though in black, he weirdly looked brighter. He had a goofy smile on his face and was playing with kids, one looking very similar to him. One minute he was chasing them, the next, Myungsoo was being chased and when he was caught, he laughed pulling one up in his embrace and twirling the child. Sungyeol was caught in surprise. His heart fluttered when he saw his smile, and when he heard his laugh. He was oddly entranced by the boy. Never had he been attracted to the boy. He always knew he was popular and handsome, but never had he actually be interested. Before Myungsoo could notice he was there, he walked away trying to calm his heart down.

 

After that day, Sungyeol took more notice of Myungsoo. Whenever Myungsoo would be in his line of sight, he would casually look at him lingering longer than he should. He noticed how different he was when he was with the kids. When he smiled to his fellow students, his eyes didn’t crinkle, his laugh was barely audible and he was all in all a different person. He also noticed other things though. He noticed that the cool and popular L was actually a very clumsy person. He would trip more often than a normal person should, he would drop things on a regular basis, and then he would laugh embarrassingly. He was cute Sungyeol would think. Every little thing Myungsoo did seemed to endear Sungyeol, and it didn’t take long for Sungyeol to notice his feelings.


He wanted to confess. Sungyeol was not the type of guy to hide his feelings, if anything he blurts everything in his mind without thinking of the consequences. He planned it out and decided to confess on Valentine's Day.