A Bus Ride Conversation

Rian and Song-Jan: One Shot Series

Song-Jan approached a bus stop with his seeing eye-dog by his side, diligently leading the way. As they continued to approach Song-Jan heard a familiar voice talking; or singing rather.

…Grew up in a small town
And when the rain would fall down
I'd just stare out my window
Dreamin' of what could be
And if I'd end up happy
I would pray…

Song-Jan abruptly stopped, causing Caesar to turn around and look at his owner questioningly. Song-Jan checked his breath and decided to take a mint from his back pocket. He only hoped that Rian couldn’t see him, as much as he couldn’t see her. He attempted to brush any wrinkles out of his shirt and checked his pits for deodorant. Song-Jan stepped forward letting Caesar know that they were continuing their trek.

…So I pray
I could breakaway

I'll spread my wings, and I'll learn how to fly
I'll do what it takes till I touch the sky
And I'll make a wish
Take a chance
Make a change
And breakaway…

“Rian?” Song-Jan asked questioningly. He moved closer as she continued to sing.” Rian?” Still she continued to mumble words under her breath. Song-Jan moved closer and figured he should try another method of catching her attention and reached out for her.

“Ahh!” Song-Jan finally got an answer from Rian, however it was slightly different than he had anticipated. He soon felt two solid blows to his gut.

“Rian, it’s me.”

*Woof * Woof Caesar barked loudly towards Rian. “Oh my gosh, Song-Jan are you crazy?”

Song-Jan clutched his stomach in pain. “Considering that I’m the one who was attacked I think I should be asking that question.”

“It wasn’t my fault. If someone suddenly grabbed your shoulder when it’s dark outside wouldn’t you freak out. Don’t you know how easily girls are targeted in these types of situations.”

“I’m sure you can handle yourself.” Song-Jan stated as he continued to clutch his stomach. Rian extended her hand to help Song-Jan but Caesar barked loudly in protest making Rian retract.

“I’m really sorry Song-Jan. I didn’t mean to punch you like that, let alone that hard.” Song-Jan felt for the bench and took a seat. “I usually catch the bus by myself except for the occasional creepers.” Rian took a seat next to Song-Jan.

“It’s okay I should’ve thought about the situation better.” The two sat in silence for several minutes before Song-Jan finally couldn’t handle it any longer. “Rian can I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

“What made you start volunteering at the center?”

“Well my younger brother is deaf so working with people, society categorizes as ‘disabled’ doesn’t seem foreign to me. Most people do this kind of work to gain a new experience but I just wanted it for the opposite. It felt…feels familiar, I guess.’”

“If I recall correctly you’ve worked there for sometime, so what makes you stay?”

“Well actually once the semester is over I’m studying abroad for the summer. But what has made me stay this far is that I felt like I offered something that no one else could offer. I felt needed.”

“…and you think I don’t need you?” As soon as he said that he hoped that Rian hadn’t heard all he had said.

“Song-Jan why would you need me? You aren’t even one of my patients.”

“I-I meant that I and everyone else…like the people you work with and patients and stuff.” Song-Jan was becoming nervous. “I just think you have a larger impact on people than you think.”

“Is that right?”

“Yeah.”

“If that’s so then what kind of impact have I had on you Song-Jan?”

“You…”

“… bus is here.”

Song-Jan heard Rian stand and soon did the same. “Rian would you mind.” He extended his arm hoping she’d understand.

“Song-Jan you are the most independent blind man I have ever known. I was surprised when they told me you had even gotten a dog.”

“It was your suggestion.”

“Yeah but I find it hard to believe that you value my opinion that much.”

“Please?” Song-Jan extended his arm even further. When he felt your arm grab hold of his upper arm it made him feel a certain way. Rian was right, about Song-Jan being independent and honestly Song-Jan just wanted to be within physical contact with her because she just had an affect on him. An affect that she doesn’t even realize she has. As Song-Jan sat down Rian sat right next to him just as he had hoped.

“So where are you getting off?” Rian asked.

“Westedge.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, why?”

“I live in Westedge.” Rian let go of Song-Jan’s arm but remained next to him. “So Song-Jan it’s my turn to ask you a question.”

“Okay.”

“It’s really personal and you don’t’ have to answer if you don’t want to. So if it’s awkward just say you don’t want to answer. I’d rather you say that than to lie to me okay?”

“Okay.”

“How long have you been blind?”

“Five years.”

“How did you lose your sight?”

“I’d rather not answer.”

“Do you remember seeing?”

“Yeah.”

“Do you miss it.”

“Sometimes. Like when people are watching something funny, that I can’t see or understand. That makes me sad sometimes, then I start to miss it.”

“What’s the last thing you remember seeing.”

“I’d rather not say.” Rian hummed in acknowledgement as she leaned her head against Song-Jan’s shoulder. “Rian…” Song-Jan sighed. “… I just wanted you to know that if you do decide to no longer volunteer at the center that I’ll miss you when you leave. Given our first encounter I’m surprised you’re still willing to talk to me. I was such an that day…” Song-Jan chuckled to himself. “What made you be so nice to me after that day?” Song-Jan asked, only to be answered with silence. “Rian?”

“Last stop!” Song-Jan heard the driver announce, followed by other passengers groans of annoyance. “Ya’ll ain’t got to go home but you got to get the hell off my bus.” The bus came to a stop and Song-Jan stood at the sound of the others leaving. “Hey buddy you got a ride or something?” Song-Jan heard the bus driver say.

“No. I’ll be fine.” Song-Jan began to shake Rian’s shoulder. “Well at least when I get her to wake up.”

“Go away” Rian mumbled as she swatted away Song-Jan’s hand as she was still half sleep.

“Rian wake up it’s the last stop.”

Song-Jan heard rustling and yawning. “Fine I’m up.” Rian held Song-Jan by his arm and led him off the bus.

“Are you coming by the center tomorrow?”

“I hadn’t planned on it, why?”

“No reason I just wanted to ask you to go somewhere with me but never mind.”

“Go with you where?”

On a date “To go with me to…to an amusement park.” Song-Jan quickly stated

“You like amusement parks?”

“Well it’s just that my friend mentioned it so I figured I’d try it out but it’s an unfamiliar environment and…”

“Sure thing.”

“You’ll go?”

“Yeah just give me a time and place and it’ll be fun.”

“…” Song-Jan simply stood in silence at the unexpected reply from Rian. He had lied and now he had to follow through. Song-Jan had never been on an amusement ride and to be honest he never intended on needing to – until now.

“Caesar make sure you get this guy home safe okay?” At the sound of Caesar’s collar tags, Song-Jan pictured Rian kneeling down and ruffling his fur. “Bye Song-Jan.” As Song-Jan heard Rian walk away he and Caesar made their way towards his apartment.

“We have a date and by default I officially asked her out…right?” Song-Jan asked Caesar.