Inhaler

Inhaler

 

 

It was a foreign yet familiar feeling. Her chest tightens like a giant's palm is squeezing her lungs. constricts, as if someone is choking her to death. Her head feels light, her bearings incoherent. keeps opening and then closing and then opening again like a fish out of the water. She is gasping for air like she suddenly forgot how to breathe.  A foreign yet familiar feeling indeed.

 

She's having an asthma attack, she's sure of it.

 

For the many years she never saw her inhaler because she never really had any circumstances to need it anyway, she thought she had overcome the illness which took a large part of her childhood. She was a sickly kid, always excused from her physical activities which required running and well, tiring. She has weak lungs, and with asthma combined, good bye to playing tags even when she never really experienced to play the game once.

 

Her fist clenched, gripping to the strap of her bag hard as if it was her lifeline. Her other hand, as if it was autopilot, landed on her chest. She tried to breathe deep, slowly, calming herself down. The last thing she needs while having an asthma attack is a panic attack.

 

"Get your together, lungs." She weakly mumbled. Sulli quickly - as quickly as she can in the moment - headed to the railings for support. She cannot let herself pass out like a dead log just in case.

 

But before she could even reach 5 steps away from where she was, some inconsiderate and probably blind bastard bumped into her. She tried so hard to not to lose herself at that very moment. She cannot breathe and was nearly knocked down. Life is a bully.

 

If it weren't for that man who smoke like crazy inside the elevator, her asthmatic self wouldn't gone out. But the said man, who started lighting his first cigarette on the instant he stepped into the lift, puffed and huffed billows of choking air shamelessly into Sulli's face. She thinks it was his seventh stick when they reached the 31st floor.

 

Still trying to air through , her phone inside her bag started buzzing. Yes, call me, I'm dying, she thought. Maybe because of the lack of oxygen to her system, she moves so slowly even a snail would shake its head. As she is reach her phone, a strong arm found its way to her waist.

 

"Found you." Was the first thing she hear even before she could see the person's face. But even without looking, she knows who exactly that person is. It's the face she'd been seeing since she was seven. It's the person she opened gifts with on christmas eve, the person whom she had known forever. Brows furrowed and forehead creased, he lowered his phone which was previously placed on his left ear.

"Your face is pale." He worriedly stated. "Are you alright?" He lead her to the nearest bench and helped her sit.

"I had a bit of trouble breathing." She said in between breathes.

"A bit? You hadn't had an attack since 9th grade! And judging from your chest rise, this one's going to be bad." His hand found its way to her forehead, wiping the sweat formed due to her labored breathing.

"Blame it to the man I was with on the lift. I can say he has pure talent. He smokes faster than you can even say my name."

"Ssul, just take a leave today. I'll take you to the hospital."

"You know I can't Sehun. I'm about to take a major exam. It's make or break for me."

"I know. But your health is more important than your grades. You don't want to end up getting pneumonia like the last time, do you?"

That made her give in. No matter how she would argue with him, she knows she will always lose. No one can match Oh Sehun's arguments and rebuttals. Of course, he knows it very well too. And not to mention, uses it for his advantage every time.

If she weren't having an attack, Sulli might've kicked him in the shin.

"Okay, okay, geez. So naggy. You aren't even my boyfriend." She said playfully.

Sehun beamed to her, his eyes forming into crescents. "Not yet."

"Wow, so you're correcting me now?"she dared.

"I'm just saying. But I can feel the yes is coming. It's so close I can smell it into the breeze." He reached out his hand to her head and playfully messed her hair.

"Stop it!" She giggled. "You're so sure of yourself, aren't you? I can't believe I'm stuck with someone like you."

Sehun's smile became wider if that's even possible. He came face to face with her, leaving  just a few inches gap for their personal space.  "Well, believe it because this someone is going to stick to you like a glue forever." He said to her silently.

Sulli looked him in the eyes and found herself having more trouble breathing that ever. Those eyes never fail to lost her every time they stare at her. Those eyes with a multitude of unsaid emotions swirling behind its hazel color. "Don't say that. Forever doesn't even exist." She whispered back, still mesmerized with Sehun's eyes.

"Well, then, always."

She didn't know anymore what makes her breathing hard: the smoke trapped in her lungs or the feelings she had for him caged  in her heart. It is very obvious that they are both so in love with each other that one doesn't even need to say it out loud. It's just the label which makes it not official, but Sehun is right, she too can sense the yes coming.

She saw his eyes flicked to her lips for a brief second. "God, if  it wasn't for your asthma attack, I could've kissed you by now until you go breathless."

She chuckled at the ironic thought. "I've always know you really wanted to kill me."

"Yes. With love. And my murder weapon will be my lips."

"Oh my god stop it! You're so corny I'd choke to death."

"I forbid you to die, not until you tell me I'm your boyfriend."

Sulli couldn't do anything but to laugh at his silliness. Little did he know that they no longer need to go to the hospital. That idiot is enough to make her feel better. Sehun might not know it, and she might not dare to tell, but he will always be her first aid no matter what sickness she feels. He's her band-aid, her inhaler.

It's a healing power of love.

 


 

ahuhuhu forgive me for the grammar and spelling errors. i typed this on my tab while on the brink of having an asthma attack. it's a good thing i  had it under control after sometime. anyway, i hope you like this lame drabble. it's a quickie so maybe it won't make any sense. still i ship sesul.

upvote if you think this is okay~

xxo, L.