Rum and Coke

Rum and Coke

The uptown bar was bustling and loud with the usual Friday night rush of people ready to get drunk until the weekend.  

Indistinct conversations from all directions and the undertone of light jazz buzzed in Taekwoon's ears as he brushed his way through swaying bodies on the lounge's main floor mouthing secret I'm sorrys and excuse mes for whoever wanted to hear them as he finally found sight of an empty barstool.  Finally free of the crowd, he dropped himself onto the worn cushion and heaved a deep sigh to contain himself.

 

He was never really into this whole scene of bar hopping and socializing with people.  It just so happened that he got invited to a coworker's birthday meet up and he didn't have the heart (or really the chance) to say no.  And thus here he is, sitting at the bar...alone.  

He propped his elbows onto the counter and ultimately decides that he needs some liquid pickmeup.  Several bartenders are flitting back and forth trying to take as many orders as possible, not noticing Taekwoon silently waiting to be served unlike the tons of other boisterous customers lounging and conversing around him.  He tried to take initiative by raising his arm up a little bit over his head only to no avail.  He continued to glare holes into the backs of several bartenders until he felt a shove to his shoulder.  Already feeling a bit pissy, he slowly turned his head to glare at a young man dressed like as if he belonged in some lame hip hop music video decked in expensive looking brands and donning some gold chains around his neck.  The had platinum blonde hair sticking out the front of his snapback and practically had his eyes closed with how hard he was laughing at his more handsome pink haired friend's jokes.  Taekwoon shot a look at the blonde and received a slurred sorry in return. He decided to let it go and turned his attention back to trying to get a damn drink.  

 

The night is progressing slowly and to Taekwoon’s distaste, bar is getting louder than ever. Taekwoon is about ready to get up and go home when a small white napkin is placed in front of him.  He brings his gaze up to meet sparkling kohl rimmed eyes and gorgeous tanned skin.  "Good evening handsome, can i get you something to drink?" his voice is like velvet and Taekwoon can't seem to tear his eyes away.  "Um...a rum and coke." he manages to place his order without stupidly tripping over himself at how attractive this man was.  "Alright, it'll be right up, one moment please!"  he flashes Taekwoon a small smile before he sidesteps away to take an order from a young skinny thing in a tight dress.  Taekwoon let out a breath that he hadn't realized he'd been holding and straightens and adjusts his hair, suddenly feeling self concious of how he looks.

 

As the bartender begins to make drinks, Taekwoon can't help but rake his eyes over him.  He's slim and lithe in black skinnies and a matching black button up, sleeves rolled up to his elbows and ed slightly, revealing the man's lovely long neck leading up to a pretty face.  Taekwoon's eyes move to the bartender's quick paced hands as he fills the glass of alcohol into the shaker.  The man's long and slender fingers are dressed with several silver rings and Taekwoon thinks that even his hands are pretty.  

 

He's still analyzing the man until his long awaited drink is finally in front of him and on the napkin.  "There you go, cutie! Let me know if you need another" Taekwoon snaps out of his daze and looks back up to the pretty face, now beginning to register how many times said man has called him good looking.  He thought to say thank you but by his mouth is left open and all he manages to see is a quick cute wink and the man is off serving another customer.  Taekwoon takes a long sip of his rum and coke and tries to remind himself to thank his coworker for inviting him tonight.

 

Through several refills of his drink and lots of water, Taekwoon can't bring himself to get up and leave without having that bartender on his mind.  So instead, he makes his drinks last as long as possible until the once claustrophobic and booming bar turns into a smoothed out jazz club.  Most of the drunk party goers seemed to have left onto their next round leaving Taekwoon and a couple of other guests finally able to hear themselves think.  At this point of the night, Taekwoon finds the ambience of the bar tolerable and continues to wait around for his dreamboat.   

He's nonchalantly stirring around a red plastic straw in his drink when he finally hears the long awaited voice "Oh, you're still here? Do you want another drink?"  Taekwoon's head moves up to meet those eyes again, his eyeliner's a little smuged but it makes him look all the more y.  The tall dark man has his head tilted to the side awaiting Taekwoon's answer and leans onto the counter.  It's been a long night of rum and cokes and Taekwoon thinks he's finally feeling the pickmeup "Yeah, but how about some coffee instead? What's your name?" he doesn't even begin to fathom where that sudden burst of courage came from and whether or not that was really him speaking.  The man in question giggles into his hand "Hakyeon, and coffee sounds nice.  And your name cutie?"  he's smiling at him as he picks up a bar rag and wipes down a couple of glasses.  Taekwoon's eyes glimpse at his hands again and he still thinks they're pretty.  

"Taekwoon, the name's Taekwoon."  he tries to give a small smile back to Hakyeon before someone's calling out to the bartender from the back.  "Oh, the bar's closing and I need to start cleaning up.  Have a good night Taekwoon and I guess I'll see you around!"  Hakyeon shoots him another wink and dashes to the back of the bar.  A heavy feeling pings in Taekwoon's chest and he's not sure if it's from the alcohol.  He ultimately brings himself to his feet and begins to crumple up the napkin under his now empty glass.  He's about to throw it out until black writing catches his eye and under inspection, finds a phone number scribbled in neat handwriting with a "~" and a heart attached at the end.  The heavy feeling in Taekwoon's chest lifts up and he's smiling to himself as he flashes a fond look back to where Hakyeon once was before stumbling towards the door, phone in his hand as he makes a memo in his to do list, "coffee date with Hakyeon".