One-Day Stand

One-Day Stand

When was the last time I wrote an entry here? It felt like forever since I updated this. Trust me, a lot of interesting things have been happening since the last update. But most of the times, I was too lazy to even login. So those things were instead stored inside my head and later on, little by little, forgotten as more memories came to pay a visit.

But not today. I decided to tell you strangers my experience with a friend that happened almost a month ago. No matter how much I wanted to stay quiet, I couldn’t. I have to get this out of my system (before I explode or something) and since I’m too embarrassed to have a face-to-face conversation with anyone, I think blogging about it is the best idea.

It was a boring Sunday afternoon. There was nothing to do at home, so I decided to go to the school library to make full use of free internet connection. Students are usually dressed up during school days but I guessed they were too lazy to even wear proper shirts. They looked dead to me. Heck, I looked dead myself.

Anyway, the place was half empty when I got there so it was easy to find a computer to sit down and start surfing the net. There was no way I would do my assignments there on that day since I had already finished everything a few days before. I was free to do anything I wanted as long as it was appropriate and didn’t attract any attention.

I was just listening to music and reading posts on my Facebook home, when all of the sudden, there were soft pats on the shoulder. I took off my earphones and turned to my right to see my friend, smiling down at me. It was Hunnie, that hoobae from my department. Read post “Cute, Little Hunnie” for more information.

With a quiet voice, we started conversing. We just talked about anything and everything that came out of our heads. It was like usual – two close friends having a meaningless and weird but fun conversation – until he asked me if I was free later.

I need to remind you again that it was a boring Sunday afternoon. I didn’t waste any time to say yes to him because seriously, when I say there’s nothing to do at home, there was really nothing to do at home. So I agreed to his offer and went out with him to some area that was pretty far from the university as soon as I realised our location. There was a flash of fear just for a second when I was behind him on his motorbike. But I’ve known him for quite awhile so I held on to this trust that he wouldn’t kidnap me and do something worth reading on the newspapers.

Ugh *knocks on wood*

Our destination was a market, but it was kind of deserted and there weren’t that many visitors. When I confirmed with Hunnie, it hadn’t opened yet since it was actually a night market. And then, it started to rain like crazy. We couldn’t even stay under the trees for cover. So we moved to another place where people were already there before us, so we had to stand close. That was when things turned.

Okay, before I continue, I have to mention something first. I had (yes, had) a little crush on him. I mean, how could I not? He’s very tall and his face is really cute. But that’s it. That’s how little it was. So I was both shocked and ecstatic at the same time when he started doing skinships with me more than before.

He usually just placed his hand on that small part on my back when we’re walking together. That day though, he stood closer than before, tousled and played with my hair, ran his hand up and down my upper arm, whispered instead of talking normally so his face was beside mine whenever he said something, hugged me from behind, gently pinched any area on my face, etc. My heartbeats skyrocketed like there’s no tomorrow that time. It pounded so fast that I was scared that he might hear or feel it. He even went as far as kissing the top of my head and I immediately felt warm inside, despite the cold weather.

People around us would definitely think that we were a couple sharing an intimate moment together on the supposedly romantic weather, whereas the fact was the exact opposite. We weren’t a couple. He didn’t even say he liked me (yes, I’m old-fashioned like that). All he kept asking was, “will someone get angry, noona?”

At first, I didn’t understand the meaning of his question as it wasn’t exactly specific. So my answer was always no, complete with a head shake. But as time passed by, the rain was getting heavier and he was getting more affectionate. The hug was tighter, as though afraid that should he loosen the grip a little, I would disappear into thin air. Or maybe I would turn into droplets of rain and be washed away into the nearby drain.

Then, realisation kicked in: he meant if I had someone; if I had a boyfriend, fiancé or a husband.

At that exact moment, I wanted to scoff at him. If there was someone, I wouldn’t be there with him in the first place. I wouldn’t let him hug and touch me like lovers do.

Even if there really was someone, that someone wouldn’t care what I would do since he was (and still is) too oblivious of my feelings towards him.

*coughs* Okay, anyway, moving on…

It was almost an hour later when finally the rain stopped pouring. But his previous actions didn’t. He was still holding me close as we decided to walk back to his bike and grab a bite somewhere else since we were both hungry. The ride was spent quietly but it was different from the earlier one. With one hand off the handle, he took my hand to hold it on his lap. It was dangerous, I told him, but he just laughed and pulled the other hand so both of them were encircled around his waist as he said that he was feeling cold from the wind. I wanted to say that backhugging him wouldn’t make a big difference because I wasn’t blocking the breeze from the front, but I swallowed the words. He wouldn’t listen, anyway.

After the late lunch was safely consumed and paid by him (he insisted), he took me home. It was still kind of awkward for me to initiate skinship, so once again he had to pull my hands around his waist. I knew that I must have looked weird in public, judging by the way I uncomfortably clung behind him, but there’s nothing I could do. I had/have never sat behind someone on a motorbike or even a bike ever before. And there’s the helmet as well; it’s heavy and I didn’t want to rest my head on his back.

Once landed, he took off my helmet and tidied up my hair. There was a serene smile plastered on his handsome face as he brushed his fingers through the strands. If I had the courage, I might have kissed him. But alas, I didn’t so I just looked elsewhere because I was too shy to do anything else. With a promise that we would hang out again soon, he continued his journey to his own place.

To be honest, I couldn’t sleep well that night. My mind kept replaying the date (?) over and over, like a broken record. I even remembered some of our conversation. And none of it involved him confessing his feelings for me. I was slightly disappointed actually. I wanted to know if he was serious with me. Because there was this rumour going around school that he’s going out with this girl (whose name is really hard to remember), but it wasn’t confirmed yet.

For the next few days, I didn’t see Hunnie because I was busy with classes and whatnot. I assumed the same thing for him since we didn’t even pass by each other. I waited for his call or messages but none came. I knew I should be the one who started but I always chickened out in the end, erasing the numbers even before I pressed the Call button on my phone.

Then one day, I saw him at lunch with my friends. My heart beat like it did when we went out that day. His name was on the tip of my tongue when suddenly this girl (the one I’ve mentioned before) came running towards him and kissed him on the mouth like they hadn’t seen each other in years. Out there somewhere, I heard a mirror breaking to the ground but I was sure it was just my imagination. My heart pounded three times faster than usual but not because he was near; it was anger. I was close to standing up and giving him a piece of my mind but I reminded myself that everyone was there to witness. So I just directed my attention back to my food that had turned tasteless all of the sudden and finished it in lightning speed. I couldn’t bear to be in the same vicinity as he.

So the rumour was true after all, based on my own eyes and confirmation I accidentally heard from people. I avoided him like the plague. I never talked to him or even spared him a glance. I should have confronted him (and punched him to death) or something but I didn’t. It hurt like sh*t but maybe I deserved this. When we hung out that day, I should have asked him upfront about his intentions. I shouldn’t have let him do those things and play with my feelings.

But as always, regret comes much later after everything is done. Now I’ll have to concentrate on my studies and forget about that jerk and stupid Hunnie. Or maybe I should just disclose who this guy really is.

Oh, about the title One-Day Stand. It’s just words I made up. As you guys know, one-night stand is when two people do it with no strings attached and forget about it on the next day. I know I didn’t do it with him (oh God, if I did, I would have shot myself) – heck, we didn’t even kiss, thankfully – but it did feel like a one-night stand. Except I had a tiny – like a speck of a speck of dust – feeling for him and I don’t think he did me. It’s like he totally forgot about it. Like it didn’t actually happen. Anyway, since it happened on an afternoon, it’s therefore a one-day stand.

Well –

 

“What’s a One-Day Stand?”

“OH MY GOD!”

I hurriedly stand up from my seat in an attempt to hide the display of my monitor where my blog is out in full display. My heart beats fast like some drummer is playing an upbeat song inside my ribcage. Clutching my chest, I look back to where the voice of the new speaker is and see that it’s my neighbour. And he even has the guts to smirk, causing that dimple on his right cheek to appear.

“Yixing! Can’t you knock?” I ask as I save the post and will finish writing it later once he’s out of my room. Without looking at him, I can hear him taking a seat on my bed. Judging by the creak, he’s now lying down like it’s his house. “What if I wasn’t wearing anything?”

“It would be the best day of my life so far.”

I’ve been friends with this guy for so many years that there’s not one conversation that embarrasses either of us. We can be talking about disgusting stuff but I will only roll my eyes at his choice of topic and he will laugh like an idiot.

But I’m in love with this beautiful idiot.

“What were you writing about this time?”

Once the blog is closed, I turn around on my seat and face him. He’s now lying horizontally on his side, his legs outstretched and his head propped on his elbow. The smirk has vanished and is replaced with a soft smile that brings the dimple out. I gulp to resist myself from standing up and poking his cheek.

“I’m never telling you, even if you bribe me with food.”

A pout comes into view and now I have to sit on my hands. “You’re so mean, Joonhee-ya. We know each other’s secrets, why can’t you just tell me this one? It’s unfair.”

Because then, you will know about my feelings for you. “It’s an anonymous blog. Nobody knows who I am and I would like to keep it that way.”

“Fine, then tell me what’s a one-day stand?” He gets up from his position and in turn sits cross-legged. “You could at least tell me that, right?”

I tilt my head to the side, contemplating his words inside my head. “If I do, will you stop bugging me about it?”

“Yupp, cross my heart.” He then proceeds to make an X in front of his chest and sticks out his little finger towards me. “There, a pinky swear.” So I walk to him and seal the promise with our thumbs sticking to each other. “So, what is it? I’m not going to tell anyone.”

I sigh as I get comfortable beside him on the bed. “It’s like a one-night stand but it happened on a day.” Then, I stare at him and can see wheels turning inside his head.

“YA, KIM JOONHEE! Did you have with someone and not tell me?!”

“ZHANG YIXING!” I clasp two hands in front of his mouth. We must have the same expression on both of our faces but for a different reason. “You didn’t have to yell like that! You think we’re living on the mountain?”

He mumbles something incoherent so I carefully and slowly put down my grip. With a silent threat, I urge him to continue and thankfully he understands that he has to turn down the volume of his voice. “Sorry. But did you really have –?”

“No!” I interrupt and stop him in mid-question. “I didn’t do anything that huge with someone. Even if I did, I wouldn’t have shared it for everyone to read. That would be private and only he and I would know.”

“That’s a relief.” He unexpectedly releases a sigh and his shoulders visibly sag down a few inches. “Then, if you didn’t do it, what happened?”

I shake my head vigorously. “You promised that you would only ask what it was, not what happened to me.”

The adorable pout makes another appearance on his mouth. Stop that, Yixing. “Okay, so you had a one-day stand with some guy. Who was it? So I could beat the heck out of him.”

“Thank you, but you have to get in line.” I smile as I feel my heartbeats soaring up into the sky at his consolation. “And I’m not going to tell you who the guy was because I know you would literally beat him up.”

“Of course. I can’t let anyone get away with hurting you,” he says, ruffling my hair lovingly. “But you know I’ll find out soon, right? I’ll just have to figure out your password, which I think is easy.”

My eyes grow wide in surprise. “You wouldn’t.”

“Try me.” He leans his head nearer to me, a confident and naughty smirk evident on his face. His brow rises as he got closer and closer, one hand reaching out towards my waist to take a rest there and the other to my face. He gets up from his seat to a kneeling position and starts straddling me before pushing me slightly by the waist to lie on the bed with him on top of me. The hand on my face makes its way to the side of my head to hold himself up.

Oh. My. God.

While all of that is happening, my heart is pounding hard on my ears. I can’t hear anything but the beats. I might not be breathing by now or maybe even dead because my attention is fully on Zhang Yixing who is still sporting that delicious smile. I didn’t notice that my hands are up on his chest until he asks me a question, the distance between our heads getting dangerously smaller.

“You’re still not telling me anything?”

“Never,” I whisper, looking up at him with my heart on my throat.

“I guess you prefer the hard way.”

That was the easy way? Before I can think of anything else, his hand moves its fingers lightly and he starts tickling me from my waist up to my armpit before going back down. The act is repeated several times and it immediately draws out a loud and weird laugh from me. The jumping jacks my heart is doing are now because of his tickling.

A laugh. “Yixing, st –” Another laugh. “Stop, STOP IT!” An even longer laugh. No matter how hard I try to push him off me, I can’t. He doesn’t even budge; he just stays there and tortures me, laughing (with and at me) like a maniac.

Then, an imaginary light bulb inside my head automatically switches on. I remember he’s ticklish too. With a determination that I can beat him at his own game, I take a fistful of his shirt around his collar and instead of pushing, I pull him down towards me. If it wasn’t for my hand holding him up, he would have toppled over. There’s a flash of fear washing over his face, causing me to smile a little. Once his neck is just right in front of my eyes, I whisper, “Payback time, Yixing,” and start blowing air out through my mouth.

I feel him squirm above me and his fingers suddenly stop moving against my side. Instead, he’s grabbing my waist tightly. This time, it’s his turn to beg for mercy and mine to laugh like a maniac. The grip on my hip disappears and his hand travels to mine on his collar to try to free himself. But I hold on and refuse to back down until I deem it enough.

Then, I realise our current position. It’s a compromising one. Should someone enter my room, they would have thought that we were making out, if you omit the laughter and change it to something else.

Not that I have never thought of that in the past.

So I stop everything and let him go. When we both look at each other, we’re slightly out of breath from laughing too much. His hand moves from my wrist to entwine our fingers together and puts them beside my head on the bed, while my other hand is still up on his chest. To my surprise (or maybe, not really), his heart is thumping erratically. Is it because of my tickling or our position? Or if I could be so bold, is it because of me?

“I know my plan backfired,” he begins with a soft voice, “but don’t you think I deserved more information after I tolerated your torment? Miss Kim Joonhee.”

The reason why we’re tickling each other in the first place is completely forgotten. That’s what would usually happen whenever he’s nearby.

“I wouldn’t call it torment,” I reply. “You looked like you were having fun, by all the laughing I heard. Mr Zhang Yixing.”

He narrows his eyes at me. “You were the one having fun, whereas I was shouting for you to stop.” He pauses. The hand tangled with mine leaves and goes to my face to start my cheek. “How could that jerk hurt you like that? You’re beautiful.”

Despite the tingling feeling inside my stomach, I find his sentences to be both amusing and unreasonable. “Maybe he doesn’t like ‘beautiful’.”

Yixing shakes his head softly. “That’s ridiculous and it doesn’t make any sense. If he didn’t think you were, why did he hook up with you?”

I groan in frustration at his choice of words. “We didn’t hook up. We just went out together and that’s it.” My mouth wasn’t cooperating well with my brain. As soon as I notice what I just told him, I gasp and look anywhere but him. But it’s not successful since he still has his hand on my face.

“So you did go on a date,” he says. “Look at me. When was this? Where was I?”

Another groan is uttered. “I doubt it was a date. It was just two friends hanging out.”

“Just like you and me.”

“Yeah, but …” I stop mid-sentence because by now, he already knows more than I first intended it to be. It was the most embarrassing thing to have happened to me so far.

“But what?” he prompts but I just shake my head. Nobody is supposed to know about my bad experience with that guy. “What is it, Joonhee?” His hand my cheek once again. “What did he do to you?”

The caress is so sweet, I can’t help but tell him. “Nothing, I swear. We just – we just held hands and hugged. That’s all.” I sigh and tell him the password of my blog. “Just read it yourself. I’m trying to forget about it.”

He runs his thumb across my cheekbone one last time before he makes his way to my computer. This might sound exaggerated but I actually missed the feeling of him on top of me already. I sigh at my absurd thought and sit upright, watching him logging in to and reading my blog from the back.

For a while, my room is filled with silence. The only thing heard is the scroll of my mouse as Yixing reads the entry. And my heartbeats as well, because I think they sound very loud to me. This is the first time someone I’m familiar with knows about and reads my blog. I don’t know if I should be glad or the antonym that it’s Yixing. He’s the number one topic in there.

Oh my God! Maybe I shouldn’t have let him read it. Maybe I should have just recounted the experience myself, instead of him finding out like that.

“Joonhee-ya.”

He knows.

“Kim Joonhee.”

Oh no.

“Ya, Kim Joonhee.”

I can feel Yixing standing in front of me, his fingers cupping my chin making me look up at him. My eyes are shut tightly as I’m too scared to see his reaction. But what he says next surprises me to the point of opening them up like a pair of saucers.

“Go out on a date with me. Oh, wait. No, go out on dates with me.” Those said fingers stray dangerously close to my bottom lip. “I’ll make you feel beautiful every day, every hour, every minute, and every second.”

My heart is pounding really hard right now, even harder than usual. It scares me so much that I might have to visit the hospital now. But once again, my brain can’t stop my mouth from saying, “Even at night?”

Especially at night.” He pauses to wait for my response and smiles when he sees that the diameter of my eyes is much wider now. “What? I could just call you by the phone. Though, I don’t mind coming here every night.”

I quickly shake my head in disagreement.

“No? Why not?”

“I wouldn’t be able to sleep.”

“Then, don’t,” he replies calmly. And that earns him a smack on his arm, which he only laughs it off. “What? We could just talk all night long.” Without another word, he pulls on my hand to make me stand up in front of him and continues to give me a hug, his arms encircling my neck and mine around his waist. “Yiyi will make you forget about him and think more of Yiyi.”

I whimper in embarrassment at that peculiar name. What I have feared not too long ago is true: he did read the other entries. “Don’t use that nickname. It’s embarrassing.” I pause as I snuggle closer and more comfortably into him. “What are we now, Yixing? You have to spell it out for me. I’m not a mind reader. I don’t –”

All of the sudden, he pulls me back and kisses me right on the mouth. It takes me quite awhile to understand what’s going on before I kiss him back. It’s soft. It’s sweet. It’s everything I have dreamed and imagined about. I feel like jumping off a cliff and waiting for whatever down there with my eyes securely shut. And that is saying something since I’m afraid of height. Both my heart and stomach feel like they’re going to burst out due to an overdrive.

“Still need more words?” he mumbles as he draws back but is still close enough that I can feel his lips hovering above mine. A mere nod is all I can do at the moment but it seems sufficient for him as he adds, “I love you, so much that no explanations are needed. I’m sorry it took so long to do this.” There’s a peck on my lips. “But since I’m allowed to do this,” he gives me another peck, “I’ll do it whenever and wherever.”

“Really?” This is a confirmation for his confession, not his kisses. But who would actually refuse to kiss Yixing over and over again? So I guess it’s both.

“Yes, really.” He then pushes me gently back to the bed, our lips sticking to each other like our lives depend on it. “I’ll make you forget that you had a one-day stand with that bastard.”

I laugh into his mouth. “So, Sehun is a bastard now?” Oh no. How could I betray my mind like this?

“Sehun?” he echoes and leans back to look at me. “You went out with him? He’s our junior, right?”

“Yeah,” I sigh in annoyance because of my big mouth. I should have just shut up. Yixing might really go to him to fight. “Don’t do anything to him.”

“Why not? How dare he hurt my Joonhee?” he says as he runs his fingers across my face.

I can’t help but smile at his words. “I love you, Zhang Yixing.”

“And I you,” he whispers as he kisses me again and again until I lose count.

Regret always comes later but as Yixing steals my breath away over and over, maybe it’s a good thing that I hung out with Sehun and wrote about it in my blog. Otherwise, maybe Yixing and I would need more time to confess our feelings. And today will never have happened until much later.

THE END

--

A/N: A small part of this was based on a true story (definitely not the ending). I'll let you readers guess which :) Anyway, thank you for reading. Please don't forget to comment ^^