final

Raindrops and a Promise

The soft sound of the guitar strings being plucked filled the room and Seungyoon’s senses as he concentrated on the new piece. It was only ten minutes later when he took off his headphones, that he heard the raindrops. He looked up at the skylight, surprised but not really; it had happened often, especially in the past year without his phone ringing every time it rained. He reached for the water bottle sitting on the table beside him and took a swig, watching the rain beat down upon the skylight at a fast rhythm. He got up to get a better look and found the street below nearly empty, leaves scattered everywhere. A particularly strong gust of wind hit the windows and he found himself wondering for a split second if it could reach him through the glass. Shaking his head, he went back to his seat and picked up the guitar. This time, the sound of the rain could not be driven out and he found himself remembering a certain day years before.

 

 

 

*

Seungyoon clenched the steering-wheel, thanking his boyfriend silently for convincing him to take the car instead of the bike. The windshield kept filling up with moisture and he felt he could understand even by a little bit, Taehyun’s fear of storms. It was light outside now but he knew it could turn dark any second so he drove as fast as he could, taking care not to go over the limit wherein he would lose control of the car. His phone lit up in the passenger seat, unnoticed by him- the first call to get through after he had lost network coverage since an hour ago.

Seungyoon opened the door to the apartment and was met with darkness. ‘Taehyun?’ he called out, trying out the light switch. Blackout.

He peered around the living room, the kitchen and his boyfriend’s study to find them all empty. ‘Taehyun-ah,’ he called out softly, opening the door to their bedroom. Pitch black darkness welcomed him and trickles of worry started to settle in until he saw the jacket and the shoes lying hazardously on the floor. Eyebrows furrowing in confusion, he made his way to the only room he had not checked. Surely, Taehyun wouldn’t be in his studio- he never stepped a foot in there. On opening the door,  he saw it was dimly lit- candles, he knew immediately and the smell of pine invaded his nostrils.

‘Taehyun-ah?’ he called out, closing the door behind him. Maybe it was his voice or the click of the lock but a disheveled-looking Taehyun popped up from behind the armchair.

‘Seungyoon?’

‘Yeah.’

‘Oh thank God.’

The relief in the other’s voice was hard to not notice and Seungyoon felt himself smile. ‘I’m home baby.’

He bent over the back of the armchair to press a kiss on the younger man’s forehead. ‘Sorry, I got stuck in the studio.’

‘You didn’t pick up any of my calls.’

‘The network disappeared and I was driving and..’

‘It’s okay, Seungyoonie. You’re safe and that’s all that matters.’

Seungyoon found himself kissing away the smile. ‘Why are you in my studio, of all places?’

‘The sound is more muffled here. And..’

‘And?’

Taehyun winced when the wind howled louder. ‘Can we stay here?’

Maybe it was the pleading look in his boyfriend’s eyes or the maybe it was because he was afraid too or maybe it was simply because of Taehyun  but a minute later, Seungyoon found himself seated on the armchair, holding Taehyun close.

‘It’s okay Taehyun-ah. It’s safe.’

Taehyun buried his nose between the crook of his head and shoulders. ‘I stayed here because I missed you and I wanted to surround myself with your presence,’ he whispered softly.

Seungyoon tightened his hold on the younger, heart fluttering at the words. Taehyun wasn’t the type to say his feelings out loud; he would let his actions say all there was to be said but the rare times he did use words, Seungyoon treasured.

‘I’m not going anywhere,’ he murmured.

‘Promise?’

‘Promise.’

*

 

 

Seungyoon opened his eyes. It had been a long time ago, five years back. The memory had always stayed with him and kept coming back on rainy days. He could not forget how delicate Taehyun had seemed, how vulnerable he had been and how he had turned to Seungyoon for comfort. Years of loving Taehyun had made Seungyoon know his traits and weaknesses and he knew Taehyun didn’t just warm up to people easily or ask for their help. But he had always approached Seungyoon, mindless of the pride he often had with others. And that day had been one of those days where Taehyun had showed his fear and his trust, his belief in Seungyoon. Whispering that one word had made Seungyoon realize how much he loved Taehyun, that their relationship, no matter how tough it could be, wasn’t a mistake and how he could see the two of them in the same position, in the years to come. He had meant the promise at that time, not one trace of doubt in his heart.

All good things came to an end however and their relationship didn’t withstand the path of time. Seven years of dating and five years of living together, of sharing laughter and tears and experiencing all that love had to offer- all down the drain.

The seventh year had been full of hardships, the hardest yet in their relationship. It was the stage where they were both debating internally if they were still together because of love or because of familiarity. Seungyoon had come to conclude that it was the former but Taehyun had remained undecided and it showed in his actions. Coming home late, going out often with friends, keeping up a much colder front than what Seungyoon was used to and suddenly not having time to spend with him. Not all days were bad, there were days when hope would grow in Seungyoon’s heart again but the winds easily blew it away.Seungyoon had, in his opnion, done everything he could and he had given Taehyun time and patience but there was only so much a person could withstand. By winter, Seungyoon had had enough and decided a cold winter by himself was better than with a person colder than the weather. He had walked out, taking along his broken heart.

 

 

 

Seungyoon the strings of his guitar. It had been a year and more since he started afresh in the apartment he was currently in, the whole place devoid of Taehyun’s artistic touches. Seungyoon wondered if Taehyun was safe and happy in someone else’s arms, if he had found someone else to protect him from the storm. As the rain continued to fall, he knew that maybe he would find another person to protect and that even if he didn’t, the memory of protecting Taehyun would last him a lifetime.