Into Your World

Into Your World

To the Guardians, the human world had always seemed messy. Guided by irrational emotions, humans have somehow evolved in this impractical direction where self preservation of the individual and the species didn't come first. It is a job, much like babysitting an overly curious and energetic toddler is a job (in this regard the human Guardians had a lot of understanding for cat Guardians), and a job many of them didn't particularly enjoy. The link to their human is emotional which means they don't necessarily need to keep an eye on their charge constantly, and most Guardians spend as little of their time as they have to, looking into the messy world of humans. 

But Lay was never like the most. The young Guardian had only existed for 9 years, but he still couldn't understand how most of his family cared so little about their human. "You get used to their pain and their fear in time, it will pass.", is the answer he got every time he wondered why he was the only one crying when his human was crying. "All you need to do is make sure they are safe.".

Lay was often scolded for wasting too much time observing his human, but he couldn't help it. When Luhan played his first football match, Lay could feel the excitement and the happiness. It was normal. But when Luhan scored his first goal, he felt pride. Pride that his human did well. Pride and joy that all the effort his human put in paid off.

He was there for Luhan's first singing competition too, even though the risk of injury was minimal, and he didn't have to be present, but he was there. And when Luhan sang, something happened to Lay. The job was no longer a job, it became his fulfillment. Maybe other Guardians' humans were simply boring! He tried talking about Luhan to others, and they humored him occasionally, but his attachment started looking more like an anomaly than a cute quirk as time went by.

When they had existed for 12 years, Lay made a mistake. Injuries were not a rare occurrence in Luhan's eventful life. He was sporty, adventurous and often clumsy, and while most Guardians would despair to have to take care of such a human, Lay didn't mind. His human's passion was something he enjoyed thoroughly and as long as he could keep him safe, it was fine.

But one day during football practice, an overly enthusiastic Luhan clashed with another player and his leg got caught between the other boy's legs as he fell forward. The bone would have been broken, but Lay was there and his instant reaction prevented the break, leaving Luhan with a fracture. There was nothing more he would be able to do for him, until Luhan was fast asleep. "Sleep heals the body", humans would say, and they were partially right.

The pain Luhan felt resonated through Lay's being, but what frightened him more was the anxiety. The fear. "When will I be able to play again?", Luhan asked his human doctor, face wet with tears. He didn't like the answer he got. He would have to miss most of the season, and his dream of becoming a professional player hung by a thread. Lay felt personally responsible for this and he wanted to make it right. He needed to make it right. He needed his human to smile again. 

One of the rules of the trade was that humans weren't supposed to know that Guardians existed. They were still intellectually incapable of comprehending such beings as well as their place in the universe. After all, humans still perceived the world around them in painfully few dimensions and relied mostly on their 5 senses to get them though life. No wonder they needed so much handholding through most of it. But rather than scoff at them for it, Lay always felt that there was a certain charm to the messiness, impulsiveness and irrationality of the human world.

Despite this, on the night of the injury, Lay decided to descend. Guardians did this from time to time as actual physical contact was the most potent cure for the humans, but few risked it for such minor injuries. Once the others find out he did this over a schoolboy's fractured leg, he will be in a lot of trouble. But it's fine, if he can make the most of it, if he can make his human smile again, it will be worth it.

The human form of Guardians usually resembles those of their humans in general appearance so when he materialised in Luhan's room, he looked like a Chinese boy Luhan's age. This was his first time descending, and he immediately regretted not practicing beforehand. The impact of all his new senses was immense. The gravity affecting his body made him stagger forward and he bumped into Luhan's table. Petrified he looked towards the bed to see Luhan shifting, although still asleep, his injured leg propped on a pillow. The heat of the room made Lay's head spin and the various scents made his mind woozy. He stood there, holding onto the table, until he composed himself again. Slowly he walked to the bed. To him it sounded like every step he took was deafening, but it didn't seem like his human heard them.

As he approached the sleeping boy another wave of emotion hit him. Seeing his face so close, if he reached his hand, he could touch it, but the mere thought of it made Lay lose his breath. And when he identified the scent that belonged to his human all he could think was, how could other Guardians be so cold.

When Luhan mumbled something in his sleep, Lay was shaken out of his thoughts and reminded that he was here to do his job and get out unnoticed. He moved to the bottom of the bed and leaned over the fractured leg. It didn't feel good. After all, it should have been a full break. But he will try his best. He will give it his all, for Luhan and for his smile.

Lay took a deep breath and slowly moved his hands to rest on the leg. After 12 years of being there for him, through all his ups and downs, tears of laughter and joy, of sadness and fear, he finally touched his human. His hurting human. The affection filled all his being and all he wanted was to make him whole again. He was a Guardian, not a miracle maker, but being here in person like this gave him the power to speed up the healing process significantly. He focused as best as he could. He knew that if he made it too quick, Luhan would be able to feel it, but he didn't have much time and he might not have another chance. He willed all his being to heal the leg, cell by cell. He felt it too, the pain slowly abiding, but the bone was thick, all he can do is help it heal faster. It might be enough to not cost Luhan his future.

No one told him that doing this would be so exhausting. He's only been channeling for a minute and already his focus is faltering. His body was sweating and his hands started shaking. He was going at it too aggressively, trying to heal as much as he could. He had to stop, take a break at least. He took another deep breath and straightened himself. "I hope I didn't wake him.", Lay suddenly thought, and turned toward the head of the bed. It took him a few moments to register that his human sat propped on his elbows, eyes wide and jaw slack. Almost instinctively, Lay jumped back, but tripped on the trash bin and fell to the ground.

They regarded each other for a few seconds that felt like eons. Lay needed to leave, he needed to leave right now, but he was too weak, his mind started racing. He was caught, he made a mistake. This was bad. On top of it, he was giving off a slight glow due to the use of his power, so he must be scaring Luhan.

"A-are you a ghost?", the boy asked, barely stammering out the words from his dry mouth.

But Lay didn't know how to speak. He never used a mouth. He knew the words he should say, but he didn't know how to say them. His eyes got watery and the image of his human became blurry.

"I-it's ok if you are. I am not afraid.", Luhan said again, fear palpable in his voice, but his determination to overcome it seemed stronger.

The Guardian shook his head trying to get the water out of his eyes, and looked at Luhan again. So many times he has seen that curious look in his eyes, but to know that now it was intended for him scared him. He isn't supposed to be seen. This isn't supposed to happen!

"What is your name?", Luhan asked and pulled himself up into a sitting position, but grimaced at the pain in his leg. Lay wanted to tell him not to move, to give the leg some more time, but he couldn't, he couldn't say anything, and it was time to go. He shut his eyes and started fading away.

"Wait!", but it was just an echo to Lay who already left that world.