Ch. 1

One Year Later

It was 15 minutes before the clock struck midnight. Junmyeon was frantically trying to get himself together before heading out the their dorm.

 

Cellphone? check.

 

Jacket? check.

 

Mask and cap to disguise himself? check and check.

 

Junmyeon quietly made his way out of his shared bedroom with Sehun, making sure that he doesn’t wake the younger one up. It wasn’t every day the group got an early night in and he wanted to make sure the maknae got the rest he needed.

 

Just like the leader that he was, Junmyeon took a moment to check his surrounding, making sure that none of the members were making a ruckus out in the hallway.

 

He managed to get towards their living room when a voice startled him.

 

“Going out tonight, hyung?”

 

Junmyeon jumped, looking around to find Kyungsoo sitting on the couch, a book in one hand and a warm cup of tea in another. The younger male was sporting a knowing look.

 

“I just...needed a breather,” Junmyeon said.

 

Kyungsoo nodded his head in understanding. “Have fun, hyung. Be careful.”

 

“Thanks, Kyungsoo-ah. Make sure to go to bed early, though. We have a full day ahead of us tomorrow.” Junmyeon said.

 

Kyungsoo noded again and Junmyeon took this moment to head towards the door.

 

“Oh, hyung?” Kyungsoo called out.

 

“Yeah?” Junmyeon froze and turned to face the younger man to see him with a bright smile on his face.

 

“Tell him we all said hello, okay?”

 

Junmyeon smiled. “I definitely will.”

 

*~*~*~*

 

The cool summer air hit Junmyeon as he walked along the Han River.

 

It’s been awhile since he’d last been here and all the memories came rushing back to him as he took the steps they used to take together all the time.

 

The day they found out they were debuting…

 

The day they found out they were going to be leaders…

 

The day they they won their first award…

 

The day they first said they loved each other…

 

The day he told Junmyeon he was thinking of leaving…

 

The ringing of his cellphone interrupted Junmyeon’s thoughts and he stopped, rooted in his spot as he looked at the caller ID.

 

‘Yifan <3’ it read. Junmyeon laughed at the memory of Yifan insisting on the stupid heart next to his name.

 

His heart began to speed up as he answered the phone with shaking hands.

 

There was a 3 second silence before Junmyeon heard the deep, smooth voice that he hadn’t heard in over a year.

 

“Jun?”

 

Junmyeon tried to control his emotions.

 

“Yifan,” he whispered, slowly exhaling the breath he didn’t even know he was holding.

 

“Junmyeon, shouldn’t you be resting?” Yifan admonished. Junmyeon scoffed.

 

It was funny how some things remained the same - even the way Yifan lectured him.

 

“I AM resting,” Junmyeon whined.

 

“I can hear the wind blowing. You’re by the Han River, aren’t you, babe?”

 

“You know me too well.”

 

Yifan just laughed.

 

Junmyeon continued walking, just reveling in the fact that he was finally able to talk to Yifan. This was the first time since the said man had left that the two of them had been able to hear each other’s voices. Due to their busy and varying schedules, the two of them barely had time to say hi and goodbye through IMs and texts.

 

So they talked - they talked about anything and everything.

 

“Congratulations on the comeback, by the way,” Yifan said. “You look amazing. Do you know how hard it is to keep calm when everyone keeps gushing about how wonderful your boyfriend looked?”

 

“Oh, please,” Junmyeon retorted, rolling his eyes. “How do you think I felt when I watched you walking down that red carpet in New York. Really, Yifan, you need to stop. Everyone was looking at me like I lost my mind when I was practically fawning over you.”

 

Yifan laughed. “I know, I looked darn good didn’t I?”

 

“Said the guy who still sleeps with stuffed animals.”

 

“Yah! I thought we weren’t going to talk about that anymore?”

 

“How’s our 11th son doing?”

 

“Ace is good. He’s next to me right now, missing his mom.”

 

The two of them laughed together.

 

“Speaking of our sons…” Yifan began.

 

“The guys all want to say hello,” Junmyeon said, interrupting him. “And how’s--”

 

“They’re good. They’re good.”

 

They lapse into a comfortable silence at the thought of the rest of the EXO members.

 

“Please tell Minseok and Jongdae to continue practicing their Mandarin,” Yifan began.

 

“Tell Luhan hyung to take care of himself - Minseok hyung nearly had a heart attack watching him fall while filming his movie,” Junmyeon said gently.

 

“Tell Kyungsoo, Baekhyun, Sehun, and Chanyeol that I’ve been watching their show and it’s weird to see them acting in a drama. But I’m so proud of them.”

 

“Tell Tao that I hope things go well with his treatment in the US.”

 

“Tell Jongin and Yixing to make sure to get regularly checked up. I get worried for those two a lot.”

 

Junmyeon smiled. Even if he weren’t part of the group anymore, it was great to still hear Yifan acting like the duizhang that he was.

 

Yifan continued, “But most of all, tell Kim Junmyeon happy birthday and that I miss him very, very much. Tell him that it’s lonely being here by myself and I wish that he was here with me.”

 

Junmyeon tried to control the tears that were able to spill out of his eyes. “Well then, tell Yifan that I miss him too - with all my heart. Tell him that even though he’s no longer here, I’m always thinking of him.”

 

“Also tell Junnmyeon that thought of him brightens up my day. He’s like an energy pill. Just one look at him and I feel great again,” Yifan said and Junmyeon could practically hear him grinning through the phone.

 

“You are really cheesy. You need to really kiss that that cold guy image goodbye because it is literally down the drain,” Joonmyeon joked. He looked at his watch and sighed . “It’s getting late. I think we better go,” He pauses for a moment and says gently, “Wo ai ni, Yifan.”

 

Yifan responded with a soft, “Saranghaeyo, Junmyeon.”

 

It took Junmyeon all of his willpower to actually hang up the phone, wanting to talk to Yifan more.

 

As soon as he hung up, it was like the spell was broken - the magic was gone and he was back to reality - back to being Suho.

 

Junmyeon slowly walked back to their dorms, wiping away his tears.

 

He didn’t know exactly when he’d be able to talk to Yifan like this again. To see him physically again. To hold him close again.

 

Junmyeon remained hopeful. He knew that one day he was going to be back in Yifan’s arms and once again he’d feel warm, protected, and loved.

 

But this will do for now.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

A/N: OMGOGMGOGMGOGOMG I know it's been a while since I had last posted anything. *bows apologetically* but I promise that I will begin updating my fics more frequently now. Fun Fact: I'm actually a Kris and Suho bias since 2012 and HNNGG they're one of my favorte EXO ships. Once again, I feel like I didn't do my OTP justice. *bawls* But it's okay. I hope you readers enjoy this fic. XD Happy birthday to Junmyeon! *throws confetti everywhere*.