Chapter 24: Mist

A Writer Of Fiction

 

You decide to do this just before I need to leave for Japan?”

 

This long droned out lecture was not helping the splitting headache I was having. I vaguely remember going out on impulse last night, and now I'm pretty sure I am never trusting my impulse ever again. Byunghee looked just as hung over as I was, although I was pretty sure I was the only one drunk last night. Neither of us said a word, and that only had Jihoon-sshi angered even more. Maybe in a wicked sense, he deserved this.

 

Jihoon-sshi started pacing again, and I looked anywhere else but at him. Not that he was painful to look at, I think it is well established by now that, yes, he is very pleasant to look at. It was his walking around in circles, back and forth, back and forth that sent dizzying waves of stars and other polygons spiraling on front of my eyes.

 

You two, you should have been more responsible. You're not teenagers, you're both adults, and you,” he stopped walking and turned to Byunghee, “You should have stopped her. And you,” was it my turn now? “What in the world possessed you into getting drunk?!”

 

I was so dead.

 

It was my fault.”

 

What?

 

Sorry hyung, Ami said she was feeling under the weather about not being able to write so I thought I'd help her loosen up a bit. Sorry, I didn't think thing would go so out of hand.”

 

Byunghee was taking the blame for my impulsive behavior. I opened my mouth to speak, but Jihoon-sshi beat me to it. “Fine, then as it is, you're vacation days are cut down. I don't want you anywhere else but the dorm and the studio, understood?”

 

Byunghee just nodded, and the guilt was piling up. He looked at me, and smiled, “Sorry,” It wasn't just a sorry, because his eyes said so much more. He wanted to take the blame, and I could only wonder why. Now I regret ever picking up that bottle. Perhaps had I been conscious, I would actually have prevented this in the first place. That, and I would very much like to know what happened last night.

 

Jihoon-sshi dismissed Byunghee, and the younger one left with his head hung low. The Sajangnim took the seat next to me and I just knew I had a special lecture all for me. “If you were having trouble you should have gone to me.”

 

You were out last night.”

 

You should have brought your phone with you. I was worried about you.”

 

How was Hyori-sshi?”

 

Sprained ankle. You're avoiding the issue. Next time go to me, okay?”

 

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes.

 

I need to leave for Japan for the new drama, are you sure you're going to be okay?”

 

Let's wait for the headache to clear, and we'll see how things will go.

 

 

As soon as I was dismissed I searched Byunghee out in the practice rooms. He was lazing around with the rest of MBLAQ, and I came in just in time to have all five of them in a rather good mood. Even he who had just been scolded.

 

Noona, we don't see you for a long time, and we get news about you being scolded by appa?” That was Mir, I choose to call him Mir because I burst out laughing every time I say Cheolyong.

 

I rolled my eyes, “I can't have my own fun?”

 

Joon smiled at me, his face contrite, and I smiled back. I didn't hate him, if anything, I was thankful, and I realized I haven't expressed my gratitude just yet. “Joon, I didn't get to thank you for the other time...”

 

It's nothing, I should be the one who's sorry,”

 

No, it's understandable...” It was awkward after that, if not for the cheering and teasing that followed.

 

We're all made up now, yes?” Seungho commented, stretching his legs in front of him. He tried to reach for his toes, but failed.

 

Hyung, you need to get rid of the belly fat to reach your toes.” Mir teased.

 

Did Jihoonie-hyung really ground Byunghee-hyung?” Sam asked, and I nodded in reply. This elicited more laughter and teasing, and Byunghee literally swatted the catcalls away.

 

Aish hyung, next time you're going out with noona take us along. You're so selfish. We want to go out too.” Mir whined.

 

It was when the rest of them found a way to wrestle each other that I finally got Byunghee by himself. I pulled him to the corner of the room and asked the question I've been dying to ask. “Why did you take the blame?”

 

I didn't want you to get into trouble.”

 

I didn't believe him, and I knew there was something I had said last night that brought this on. “What did I say last night?”

 

It was the smile that gave him away, and I slapped his arm. Hard. “Yah Jung Byunghee, what did I do?!”

 

Do is right.” There was no mistaking the teasing in his voice and I cringed. “I didn't know you had the choreography to Y memorized.”

 

I wanted to die. But since that really wasn't an option, I opted for chasing Byunghee around the practice room, and beating him with a rolled up magazine I picked up along the way.

 

 

On the first night that Jihoon-sshi was away, the house felt empty, both literally and figuratively, and I lay on my bed not really wanting to fall asleep just yet. I never realized how scary it could actually get once you were alone in such a house. Of course my old house looked more like a haunted house than this, but the knowing that Jihoon-sshi was not in the other room left me feeling so small and vulnerable.

 

Since when did I have this dependence on him? I don't even know anymore. Still, the feelings of, well, feeling for him did not escape me. I had a feeling that I had vaguely alluded to Jihoon-sshi that night I was drunk with Byunghee, and that was the reason why he took the blame. How could I ever begin to explain that the reason I turned to alcohol as a coping mechanism was because I found other way but that to ease the whirlwind of emotions that I was going through all because of the events of the last week. Things came in waves I knew, and so perhaps this was probably just one wave of trouble I had to go over, and it was peaceful days ahead. At least, in theory, that was how it was supposed to go.

 

Perhaps this alone time would permit me to write, but what do I write about? What is it I want to say to the world? Or...maybe, Jihoon-sshi was right. Maybe I should just stop thinking and let my imagination run wild.

 

I was about to drift off into my own dreamland when my phone started ringing. Without even looking at the caller ID, I answered.

 

Did I wake you?”

 

I bolted straight up at the sound of Jihoon-sshi's voice, “No.” I answered, perhaps to quickly because he started laughing at the other end.

 

I couldn't sleep.”

 

Oh, are-are you feeling okay? How was the press-con?”

 

It was as usual. Are you okay? Did you double check the locks on the doors?”

 

I nodded, until I remembered he wouldn't see me over the phone, “I did.”

 

Mmm.”

 

We both were silent after that, the static that cracked in between the cellphones the only thing that broke the silence. I had nothing to say to him, but knowing he was on the other line was comforting. “You should sleep.” I said.

 

Can't.”

 

Hmm...are you in bed?”

 

Yes, why?”

 

Repeat after me. Yah yah yah yah yah yah.” I can't believe he actually did. “Then Neh neh neh neh neh.”

 

Yah yah yah yah, neh neh neh neh.”

 

I'll say yah, then you'll say neh.”

 

Yah yah yah yah...”

 

Neh neh neh neh...”

 

yah yah yah yah...

 

neh neh neh neh...

 

 




 

[A/N]: Try it lets see if you'll fall asleep XDD okay I said 6 more after the preceding chapter, but its looking like 5 more instead >.> ah well. Static is literally coming off my hands, my fingers are burning, and my wrist is complaining, yet I couldn't stop writing >.<