1/1

I'll be there

'Are you working today?'

'Yup.'

'Why can't you take leave?'

'I did that last week.'

'Oh, you did?'

'Yeah.'

'What if you take another leave today?'

'Then Min Yoon Gi would have to bank-in money for me every month.' You smiled at him.

'No problem. Min Yoon Gi has no problem doing that.' Yoon Gi said, smiling at you back.

'Well, I gotta go now. See ya later.' You were about to run off to your workplace which was 10 minutes away when Yoon Gi called out your name to stop.

 

'Ya! Ya! Take this.' He gave you an envelope.

'Money? No thanks.' You said, pushing the envelope back to him.

'Can you look at what's inside this envelope before making assumption?' He pushed the envelope back to your hand. You open up the envelope and a letter was inside.

'What's this?'

'Read.'

'We are pleased to inform you that...No way!' You scream and started hitting Yoon Gi. Yoon Gi tried to avoid the hits but failed.

'Ya! Yoon Gi! I...I manage to... I did it bro!' Yoon Gi just smiled widely at you.

'I told you perseverance is important.' He said, wrapping his hand around your neck but realises that he was 1cm shorter than you.

'But then there's school. I can't skip lessons.' You said while chucking the paper inside your bag.

'There's something called Medical Leave.' He said pushing you to the front.

'Go to work. You're gonna be late. I'll help you.'  Yoon Gi said and walked the opposite direction of yours. He waved goodbye and disappear in the crowd.

You recalled what the paper said. “We’re pleased to inform you that you've passed the private audition. Please come to the audition venue again this Friday to secure your place as a trainee."

'School though... Taking MC would probably help....’ You said to yourself. You finally arrived at your work place and get ready to start work.

It felt like as if you were only working for 4 hours as you were alrdy getting ready to go home. Turns out that you were actually working for 8 hours straight. No breaks at all. Your manager went up to you.

'You didn't had break just now. You better eat something at home.'

'Yea I know.'

'Next time, even if you request not to have break, I'll still give you a break.' Your manager said. He then repeats whatever he said again as you were about to leave.

'Okay I get it alrdy!' You rolled your eyes. Your manager laughs at you and bid goodbye.

You walked towards the traffic light and waited to cross. You looked at your watch.

'11:30 PM. Where could he be?' You wander as Yoon Gi usually picks you up at the traffic light at this timing. The traffic light was already showing the green man. You took out your phone and dialled his number.

'Why isn't he answering?' You re-dialled his number. Still no answer. You gave up and decided to cross the road. You only had 15 seconds to cross. You were about to run when you felt something cold touch your arm.

'What the fu!' You almost wanted to shout out loud when you realised it was Yoon Gi.

‘It’s just me.’ He said with a poker face. You look at him from head to toe. Everything including his shoes were white. Even his face was close to white.

‘Why are you so pale looking? From head to toe.’

‘Because I was sleeping peacefully and then you called me.’

‘You said you’ll pick me up anyways.’

‘Okay fine whatever. Let’s get going.’

As you were crossing the road, there was a couple looking at you weirdly. They weren’t even blinking their eyes. You got irritated and annoyed and decided to just ignore them.

‘Yoon Gi. Did you see the couple? Looking at me like that…’

‘Ignore them. They’re probably those judging type. Don’t give a about them.’

'Wah, always so vulgar.’

'Oh ! Sorry!’ Yoon Gi said sarcastically, putting his hand over his mouth. He then rolled his eyes.

 You pushed him to the front and told him to walk faster.

‘Ya don’t feel insecure, okay. I got your back. Whoever hates on you, I’ll curse them.’

‘HAHAHAAH I would curse you!’

‘Ya! I’m serious! I’ll be there to support you. I’m always here for you.’

‘Aww, I’m so... Touched. You’ve never actually said that before.’

‘I’m your best friend after all. I’ll be there for you. Always, I promise.’

After walking for 15 minutes, you finally reach home. You thank Yoon Gi for sending you back home but only got a cold reply from him.

‘I am your personal assistance after all.’

‘Huh, glad you know.’

‘How did we even be friends? I’m always so cold towards you but you’re so cool about it.’

‘Cold? Cool? HAHAHAHAHA!’ You laughed crazily at Yoon Gi. He just shook his head and told you to go home. You wave good bye to him and went inside the lift. When you turned around, Yoon Gi wasn’t there anymore.

‘That lazy lad walks off so fast. Oh whatever.’

You were greeted by your mother, who seemed to be waiting for you. You looked at your mom confusedly when you enter the house as she kept asking if you were okay.

‘Mother, what’s wrong with you?’

‘Are you okay? I was worried sick! I thought you couldn’t handle the news so you would break down or something…’

‘Nah I’m fine. I did hit Yoon Gi a bit just now, but don’t worry he’s good. Haha.’

‘We’ll go tomorrow, okay?’

‘Tomorrow? But the audition is on Friday. I mean not audition but the securing place process.’

‘Wait, no. No that…’

‘Mother, I’m tired. I want to sleep now. Bye.’  You entered your room and lied down on your bed. You then decided to take a shower before going to sleep.

After one hour of showering, you came out of the toilet fresh and smelling nice. Your phone suddenly vibrates and you got shocked as you put it on your study table. It was a message from Yoon Gi.

‘Ya, you better eat something since you had no break just now.’  You rolled your eyes and switch off your phone and get ready to sleep. Then your phone vibrated again.

‘I’m not joking. Better eat something.’ Your eyes widen as you read the message. It’s as if Yoon Gi knew you were going to ignore his reminder and decided to send you a stern one.

You replied him and drag yourself to the kitchen to grab something to eat. You felt a vibration inside your pocket again.

‘Send me a photo of what you’re eating. Then I’ll let you sleep peacefully.’ You sighed loudly and took a photo of the snack bar you were eating.

‘Good job! So proud of you.’ After quickly chewing on the snack bar, you brushed your teeth and went straight to bed.

 

The next day as you were getting ready for school, your mother looked really worried.

‘Mother, really what’s wrong with you?’

‘Yoon Gi’s going pick you up today?’ She asked with her voice that sounded as if she was scared.

‘No, I don’t think so. He didn’t say anything.’ You replied looking weirdly at your mom. Your mom just smiled at you and help you pour a glass of milk. She told you to quickly drink it up as you were already late for school.

When you were walking to school, you took out your phone to ask Yoon Gi if he’s coming school. After walking for about 10 minutes, you finally reach school. You took out your phone hoping that Yoon Gi would reply but sadly he didn’t. You were greeted by a student councillor.

‘Ya, is Yoon Gi in school already?’ You asked as the student councillor took down your name since you were late.

‘Yoon Gi? Never mind, I’ll let you off this time. Quickly go to your class before other student councillor catch you.’ He said cancelling your name off. You looked at him weirdly but thank him and quickly run to class. Thank goodness your homeroom teacher wasn’t there yet. You sat down at your place and looked across your sit, where Yoon Gi sits usually. He wasn’t there. You turned to your right to ask your classmate.

‘Ya. Is Min Yoon Gi here yet?’ Your classmate almost wanted to answer you when your homeroom teacher enters the classroom. He starts the lesson even though your whole class hasn’t greet him yet. He didn’t called you out.

‘Since you have to go for another round of audition, there won’t be school for you tomorrow then.’

It was already coming to Friday.After 6 hours of lesson, it was finally time to go home. You walked slowly back home, drinking your milk when you suddenly felt a vibration in your pocket. It was a message from Yoon Gi.

‘Ya. I’m sorry. I overslept. And I kind of skip school to play basketball. Hahaa don’t tell that to our teacher!’

You looked at your phone time. It was already 6:30 PM. You told Yoon Gi to pick you up. At first he said no countless time but you manage to force him. You wait at a bus stop near your school. Though it looked pretty run down and spooky, you still sat there to wait for your dear best friend. 3 minutes has passed. 5. 10. 25. 35. 60 minutes. You kept on looking at your phone. You texted Yoon Gi.

‘Ya! WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU? IF YOU’RE 30 MINUTES LATE, I’M FINE. BUT IT’S ALREADY BEEN AN HOUR.’  You send it to him and let out a frustrated sigh. After a few seconds later, you got a message.

‘Sorry, I can’t make it. I have plans. Sorry!’  You were annoyed and decided to walk home instead of taking the bus. As you were about to go, you heard someone called your name. You turned around and saw Seok Jin, the pretty boy who was ironically humble.

‘Hey. Where you going?’

‘Home. I was waiting for Yoon Gi to pick me up but he didn’t turn up.’

‘Yoon Gi?’

Seok Jin looked at you with his eyes and mouth wide open. He then shook his head and told you to just take the bus. He told you that he’ll accompany you in the bus so you don’t have to worry. You forcefully agree and the two of you waited for the bus to come. The bus arrive after a few minutes and the two of you board the bus. Seok Jin sat beside you and you made the uncomfortable face as you weren’t use to having any guy sitting beside you other than Yoon Gi. Seok Jin just smiled awkwardly.

‘When’s your audition?’

‘Oh, it’s not an audition. Just securing my place as a trainee. It’s tomorrow.’ You smiled awkwardly at Seok Jin.

‘Ooh, is it okay if I…take you to somewhere today..?’

‘Where to? I don’t think I can. I got to wake up early tomorrow. Sorry Seok Jin. How about we go tomorrow instead? Okay? ‘

‘Sure. No problem…’

‘Don’t be sad, I’ll go for sure tomorrow. I promise.’  This time you smiled widely at him, making him feel less awkward and uncomfortable with you. He nodded his head and smiled.

Seok Jin requested to send you back home since it was already late. When you knock on the door, your mom quickly open the door and started shouting at you but stopped as Seok Jin walks behind you.

‘Oh hello there young man. Thank you for sending her back home. I was worried sick you know!’

‘Mother, it’s not my fault okay. It was Yoon Gi who didn’t show up!’  As you were feeling super tired, you thanked Seok Jin and hugged him. You then quickly went in to your room to shower and then sleep.

‘Aunty, I have to tell you something.’

‘I think I know.’

‘I’ll be bringing her there tomorrow. It would be good if you come as well, just in case.’

‘Okay then, I will. Thank you for sending her home.’

‘No problem. If there’s nothing else, then I shall get going. Annyeonghaseyo.’

(THE NEXT MORNING)

‘Mother! Wake up! Quick! We’re gonna be late!!!!’ You knocked on your mom’s room repeatedly. You were surprised as your mother slapped your back.

‘I was awake much earlier than you young lady! Aigooo.’ You and your mom then started walking to the bus stop to the audition venue. The journey took one hour and you spent it by talking to your mother.

‘I have something to tell you.’

‘Gosh, mother. What’s wrong with you nowadays?’

‘I’ll be following you later, together with Seok Jin.’

‘Why? Oh gosh. We are just going somewhere, probably just to eat. Nothings gonna happen, mother.’  Your mother just shook her head and looked out the window.

After one hour, you finally arrived at the venue. Seok Jin was waiting for you at the bus stop. He then followed you to the audition venue. He was strangely carrying basket of flowers. You looked at him weirdly and told him if he was okay.

‘What are those for? To celebrate after I’ve secure my place as a trainee?’ You said jokingly, nudging him. He smiled lightly. Your mother told you to walk faster. You almost forgot to tell Yoon Gi to come. You quickly took out your phone and texted him.

‘Min Yoon Gi, aren’t you gonna meet me after this? Or maybe you should come now? Where you at?’

You then put your phone in your pocket as you were already lining up for your turn. It was already your turn finally after waiting for 30 minutes. As you entered the room, you started feeling nervous. Three judges were looking at you.

‘ (Your name) ssi. It stated here that you audition before but failed. Not once but twice. Why did you decided to audition again?’

You gulped. You were so nervous that you couldn’t talk.

‘Well, if you’ve auditioned three times already, you shouldn’t feel nervous.’ The judge looked at you.

You remembered what Yoon Gi said before. Breathe in and out. They are just normal human beings. They’re aren’t monster whatsoever. Relax. Concentrate.

‘Well, I did feel like giving up the second time, but my very best friend, Yoon Gi told me to try again. He told me that determination was important. So I decided to go and I didn’t regret listening to him.’

‘Wow, seems like he’s a motivation for you. Where is he? Is he here with you?’

‘Well I did text him but he didn’t reply. Hopefully he won’t blue tick me.’ Making all the judges laugh. They told you to dance on the spot once again. You started dancing, full of confidence as you didn’t want to let Yoon Gi down. After a few hours of judging, the judges called out the names of people who passed and has their name secured as trainees in the company. Sadly some had to re audition. You were scared as only 30 people are selected. They were already calling the 29th name. You closed your eyes and held your mother’s hand.

‘(Your name), congratulations you’ve passed and would be our trainee.’ You were so happy that you started shaking your mother’s hand. You also kept beating Seok Jin’s shoulder repeatedly. You texted Yoon Gi telling him about the good news.

‘MIN YOON GI. I FREAKING MADE IT! THANKS TO YOUR ADVICE! LET’S GET SOME ICE CREAM LATER! MY TREAT J ‘

Sadly, he didn’t reply even though you’ve already finish eating lunch with your mother and Seok Jin. As you got out of the restaurant, your mother called for taxi. You looked at her weirdly and asked where you were going. As soon as the taxi arrive, all three of you went in. Your mother was at the front sit while you and Seok Jin sat behind. Seok Jin was still holding the basket of flowers. You kept on asking him what they were for but he didn’t reply you. You got annoyed and looked out the window. The scenery quickly change from tall buildings to shop houses and then finally a field of flowers. Soon you started seeing people around the field. You carefully looked. It was the cemetery.

‘Mother, Dad’s death anniversary hasn’t come yet. Are we too fast?’ You asked your mother who was sitting at the front. She didn’t reply you.

After a few minutes, the three of you started walking in the cemetery. You went inside again where all the ashes of the dead were place in a glass case and their family member would come and visit them, putting flowers, food or drinks there. You searched for your father’s one.

‘Mother, we’re at the wrong place. Father’s ash are not here.’ You looked at your mother confusedly. Seok Jin and your mother lead you the way to someone else’s. Your mother turned to look at you and pulled you slowly to the front. You looked at both Seok Jin and her confusedly. You look at what’s in front of you.

“Min Yoon Gi | 09 March 1993 – 30th May 2015 “

You looked at your watch. Today was the 30th May. You looked at your mother and Seok Jin and then back to the front.

‘Why didn’t any of you told me about this?’

 You broke down. Your mother rubbed your back and hugged you. Tears were falling down. You couldn’t stop crying. Your best friend died and you didn’t know about it. After crying for a few minutes, you stood up slowly. Inside the glass case was filled with Yoon Gi’s snap back, bandana, and even the pen you bought for him. Inside was also his phone. You opened the glass case and took out his phone. As you clicked the button, it was filled of text message from you. You opened them one by one. You cried even more, realising that he didn’t reply any of them. As you scroll to the older messages, you saw a message from him. The date was the day he sent you off to work.

‘Ya you didn’t have to worry so much. I’ll talk to Mr Hwang for sure. Now all you got to do is believe in yourself and have confidents, okay!? J I know my best friend can do it! ‘

You cried loudly and you dropped on the floor again. Your phone vibrated and you got the message. You also received your mother’s message, telling you that Yoon Gi was involved in a hit and run accident and that she was visiting him. The second message from your mother made you even sad. ‘Yoon Gi is in a better place now. Stay strong my daughter.’

It was as if Yoon Gi wanted to spend his days with you before he leaves. You only got those messages after his body was finally burned. You remembered what he said on the day he send you home.

‘Yoon Gi. Thank you for always believing in me. For always helping me to pick myself up when I fall.’

You touched his photo in the glass case. You slowly put it back and close the glass case. Now, you successfully debuted as a member of a famous girl group. You smiled looking at his photo. You slowly walked away and reminisce those hard days where he was always there to help you. You smiled at yourself and looked up at the sky.

‘Yoon Gi ah. I’m doing well now. Please watch over me.’ You smiled widely. You suddenly heard someone scream your name. You turned around and Seok Jin was running towards you.

‘Ya, mind you. This is a cemetery. Don’t you have any respect?’

‘Sorry but I had to do that to catch your attention.’

‘Where you’re going?’

‘Going out with my girlfriend.’

‘Where is she?’

‘Well, I can hear her, so maybe she’s around here, somewhere.’ He pointed to you and smiled widely. You held his hand and laughed. Seok Jin then looked up at the sky also.

‘She’s happy now Yoon Gi. Don’t worry, I’ll take good care of her.’

THE END