Never Regretted Being With You

Never Regretted Being With You (Oneshot)

Kyuhyun nibbled on his lower lip nervously, looking at the small note in his hands. In a neat writing of his manager, it was written:

“Duet with a person that you treasure the most.”

Maknae never thought about things like that: who he liked or hated the most. It didn’t mean much to him until now.

Well, actually, he could choose anyone from his group, because they were like a family to him, but something inside him made him strive for more than just a bandmate.

Setting the note on the table, he took out his phone with a sigh and went through all the names in the address book, looking for something that would catch his eye.

But Kyuhyun wasn’t the type to use his phone a lot, so there weren’t that many numbers in it.

He was disappointed. And he had only one week to choose a partner. Also, there was practice before the actual recording...

Maknae took a deep breath and stopped breathing for a few seconds before letting out a heavy sigh and watching his phone slip from his grip and fall onto the couch.

We wanted to ask someone for advice, but he didn’t know who to ask.

Yesung had participated in a few recordings, but he dropped out just before Immortal Song’s 2 PD thought of doing duets. Yesung wouldn’t be much of a help.

Slowly closing his eyes in frustration, Kyuhyun picked up the note again and stared at it once more.

The words were slowly burning themselves into his mind and he was clueless of what to do.

The late night wasn’t helping much and Kyuhyun decided to rest instead of racking his head helplessly.

 

- -

 

The next day wasn’t any better.

Kyuhyun got up early, but it was simply because the idea from yesterday was bugging him even in his dreams. And when he went into the kitchen to eat breakfast, he suddenly lost his appetite.

Kyuhyun fiercely stared at his bowl, not noticing that he probably looked like he was trying to crack it with his eyes. If he could warm things up with his piercing glare, the milk in the bowl would have turned really hot, maybe to the point it would boil.

Maknae didn’t notice Heechul coming into the kitchen and staring at the concentrated boy.

“Why are you getting angry at your breakfast? Did you lose in a game, or what?” Heechul asked, raising an eyebrow nonchalantly and yawning afterwards.

Kyuhyun lifted his eyes from the bowl and flashed a weak smile.

“I’ve got problems.”

Heechul creased his brows confusedly.

Usually, maknae would never talk about his problems or even mention them to other members except for Leeteuk. He trusted Leeteuk the most and he knew he could always get useful advice. So Heechul was confused whether to be happy that Kyuhyun finally decided to open up or be worried, because it might be something that even Leeteuk couldn’t help with.

“Can you... tell me about it?” Heechul asked carefully, afraid to lose maknae’s trust.

“Yes, actually,” Kyuhyun didn’t bother to notice the other male’s nervousness. “I have to sing a duet for Immortal Song 2 and I don’t know who to choose... My partner has to be a person that I treasure the most, but I don’t know who...”

Clapping his hands in relief, Heechul raised a finger right afterwards.

“Why don’t you try him?” he said happily.

“Who?”

“You know, the one who you lived with in one room for a whole month.”

Kyuhyun leaned back in his chair.

That didn’t sound like a bad idea at all.

Zhou Mi had the looks, the voice and what’s more - he was super friendly. During his solos, he could entertain people like no other idol could, so why not ask him to partner up with Kyuhyun?

Maknae snapped his fingers and stood up.

“Hyung, do you have his number? Because I don’t...”

Heechul took out his phone knowingly and gave Zhou Mi’s number to Kyuhyun.

Although Kyuhyun and Zhou Mi spent a whole month sleeping in the same room, they never got too close. Kyuhyun really wanted to become good friends with Mi, but their busy schedules was the biggest reason to push away the urge.

“Thanks!” the younger male beamed gratefully and Heechul’s soul could rest now. He was able to help his dongsaeng at least once.

 

- -

 

Without anything to do, Zhou Mi rolled on his bed and yawned lazily.

He had really wanted to rest for a couple of weeks, but when he actually got the chance, he lost the wish to do it. So, instead of sleeping through the day, he just lied on his bed, occasionally raising his head to check the time.

A sudden vibration of his phone caused him to bolt up on the bed and grab the phone faster than it managed to vibrate for the second time.

He stared at the screen. It said it was an unknown number.

A fan? Or maybe someone important? Maybe some old friend, who got a new number or something?

Zhou Mi hesitated for a few seconds, but finally decided to pick up the call.

“Hello?” he said in a slightly hoarse voice and cleared his throat quickly, noticing how horrible he sounded.

“Zhou... Mi? Is this Zhou Mi?” the voice said.

Zhou Mi scrunched up his eyebrows. He couldn’t recognize the voice. But it belonged to a boy. A fanboy?

“Are you a fan?” he asked, his voice getting lower than usual.

“What- No! It’s Kyuhyun! Do you remember Kyuhyun?”

Zhou Mi heard nervous chuckling through the phone and he smiled at his fail to recognize the voice. Maybe he should’ve listened to those lullabies more carefully back then.

“Of course I remember you,” he said happily. “We shared a room back then!”

“But never had the chance to get close,” Kyuhyun finished and sighed into the phone. “But hey. Are you busy this week?”

Zhou Mi blinked a few times.

“No... Not really. I’ve already finished everything I had to do.”

“That’s good. Could you come to Korea for a week or more?”

Zhou Mi laughed into the phone and fell onto his bed.

“Just to see you?” he asked, looking at the ceiling and drawing clouds on it with his eyes.

“That’s one of the reasons. Actually, I have to perform for Immortal Song 2 and I have to partner up with someone,” Kyuhyun’s voice got serious all of sudden and Zhou Mi stopped daydreaming.

“Do you mean... me?”

“Yeah, I want you- I mean, I want to sing a song with you...” maknae trailed off awkwardly and cleared his throat. “Of course if you don’t mind.”

“No, no,” Zhou Mi instantly replied. “I don’t mind! I’m just wondering... Why did you choose me?”

There was silence for a few minutes. And when Zhou Mi wanted to break it, Kyuhyun finally spoke up.

“I’ll tell you when you come to Korea.”

“Do I have to come today?”

Kyuhyun made some thinking sounds and Zhou Mi stifled a laugh.

“Not necessarily. You can come tomorrow,” the younger male finally said.

“Okay then. I’ll call you when I arrive.”

“Sure, bye.”

“Bye~”

Then Zhou Mi ended the call and put the phone next to himself, eyeing the new number. He had to add it to his address book, but all the numbers in the list had such cute names, he just didn’t know how to call this one...

In the end he decided to name it ‘baby Kyu’ and smiled at his wonderful creation.

 

- -

 

Zhou Mi sighed and closed his eyes, unable to wait any longer. He showed up at the airport an hour ago and Kyuhyun was still nowhere to be seen. The thought itself was getting on Mi’s nerves.

He was about to turn around and leave, when he heard Kyuhyun’s voice.

“Mi! I’m sorry I’m late!” the boy panted, as he held onto Zhou Mi’s jacket. “I was in such a hurry that I bumped into an old granny and... She tried to sue me.”

With those words, Zhou Mi couldn’t even be mad anymore. He simply started laughing like there was no tomorrow.

Kyuhyun looked at him confusedly, blinking cutely.

“What?”

“No, nothing. It’s so funny, though...” Mi stopped laughing and merely chuckled for the last time. “Let’s go now?”

“Yeah...” Kyuhyun shrugged and grabbed Zhou Mi’s hand, earning a surprised yelp from the taller male, but maknae didn’t care too much about it.

To break the awkward silence, Mi decided to speak up.

“Um... Did you choose a song yet?” he asked curiously.

Kyuhyun nodded enthusiastically and turned his head at the other male.

“The title’s ‘It Has To Be You’. You should know it.”

“What’s so special about that song?” Zhou Mi asked as he stopped walking, dragging Kyuhyun to a halt together with him. “You sang it with Yesung.”

Maknae looked at the ground and bit his lip nervously.

“I can’t think of anything else...” he whispered, not daring to look up at Mi.

Zhou Mi took a deep breath and squeezed the younger male’s shoulders, in attempt to shake some strength into him.

“You just played games all night long, didn’t think about anything and now you’re saying the first song that just comes to your head, because you don’t want me to be disappointed. Right?” he said in a sweet voice, careful not to hurt the other male.

After a few minutes of silence, Kyuhyun finally nodded his head guiltily. His eyes were unable to meet Mi’s.

Zhou Mi released Kyuhyun’s shoulders and scratched the back of his head.

“Well... What about “Together With You”? It’s a pretty good song, anyway...” he suggested randomly and Kyuhyun pouted his lips, obviously thinking about it.

“It should be okay,” he finally said.

“Don’t agree just because you don’t want to think too much,” Zhou Mi warned, but maknae instantly shook his head and waved his hand in the front.

“You’re really good at choosing songs, hyung.”

“Oh, don’t call me that. It sounds weird,” Mi rolled his eyes and grabbed Kyuhyun’s hand again. “Come on, let’s move. We need to practice.”

 

- -

 

“Okay, this sounds good enough,” Kyuhyun released a sigh of relief and sat down on his chair after finished the song for the n-th time.

Zhou Mi shook his head and took Kyu’s hand, pulling him up again.

“We have to practice more. I don’t want to mess up at the recording,” he said, flashing a cute smile. “Just because we succeeded once, doesn’t mean the recording will be a success, Kyu.”

Kyuhyun creased his eyebrows in a lazy manner, closing his eyes for a few minutes.

“Mi. I’m tired.”

“Did you say that to your hyungs when you were practising the dance for a new song? What was it? Mr. Simple, A-CHA?” Zhou Mi raised his voice a bit, trying to sound impatient.

“Both. And I didn’t— Our comeback was important!” Kyuhyun opened his eyes and pouted like a baby.

“What about this? Isn’t this recording important to you?”

Mi’s words made Kyuhyun think a little about it.

A few days before he was panicking because he didn’t have a partner. And now he was disappointing Zhou Mi, because when he finally found his partner, he thought everything else would be easy. Which was wrong.

“Try harder, we’re not even close yet. You’re a singer and a pretty talented one, how can you fail to notice that?”

“Fine,” Kyuhyun finally gave up and turned around to turn on the record once again.

“I’m so going to get my revenge,” he mumbled just before it was his turn to sing.

 

- -

 

Kyuhyun was staring blankly at the wall, with his eyebrows creased and teeth bitting his upper lip.

There were a few minutes left before the recording and Zhou Mi was gone to the bathroom. He left Kyuhyun, knowing perfectly that the younger male would feel discouraged when he was alone.

“I can’t do this,” he mumbled silently, reclining his head and blinking a few times. “It feels like everything we have done until now... was wrong.”

“Hey, dongsaeng. It’s time to go,” a familiar voice called out and Kyuhyun turned around to see Jay Park waving at him.

Kyuhyun instantly stood up and bowed a little, not daring to meet his hyung’s eyes.

“Zhou Mi’s still hasn’t returned,” he said, looking at his feet.

“Oh, he’s already waiting for you!” Jay Park exclaimed and grabbed Kyu’s hand, dragging him out of the dressing room and into the studio.

And Zhou Mi was indeed waiting for him there. He could’ve at least told Kyuhyun that he would wait here...

But that didn’t matter anymore, because once Kyuhyun’s reached the chair he was supposed to sit on, a red light flashed on the camera and MC started introducing the cast.

Kyuhyun was nervous all the time when other idols performed and Zhou Mi noticed that earlier than anyone could. He took the younger male’s hand and gave it a light squeeze, smiling when Kyuhyun turned to face him for a few seconds.

“It’s gonna be okay,” Zhou Mi said inaudibly.

But he was shivering inside just as much as Kyuhyun. This was his first and probably last recording for this show and he wanted to do his best. Even though Kyuhyun had already participated in a few episodes, he didn’t give any strength to the older male sitting beside him and it was a bit upsetting.

However, Zhou Mi was satisfied with what he had. Because standing on the same stage with Kyuhyun again meant more than anything ever could.

“Kyu, it’s our turn,” he whispered to the younger male’s ear before MC could announce it and Kyuhyun nodded.

“Let’s do our best,” maknae said, smiling at Zhou Mi.

Zhou Mi knew that smile was fake enough to wash away the nervousness, but it was okay to smile like that right now.

“Okay! Next is Kyuhyun’s and Zhou Mi’s duet!” MC announced and both of them stood up, walking out of the room and onto the stage.

Everything was dark around them and they only had their hands, connecting them together.

Kyuhyun held up his microphone and swallowed all of his bad thoughts, releasing Mi’s hand just when the lights went on and music started.

Zhou Mi smiled at Kyuhyun’s sudden determination and looked at the crowd, who were looking at them in anticipation. Maknae’s voice embraced them softly and for the last time, Zhou Mi thought he could fail to cope with that godly voice.

And for the last time, he was wrong.

Both of them sang in such unison that you could say their voices were created to be blended together. They sang out all of their worries and problems, briefly forgetting what was troubling them.

When the song ended, lights went out again and the first thing Zhou Mi felt was Kyuhyun’s hand in his. That was enough to make him completely happy. He knew he wouldn’t regret this performance. Not now, not ever.

Without thinking much, Zhou Mi pulled Kyuhyun’s hand towards himself, embracing the younger boy. That was all he needed at the moment. To share the happiness they both created.

 

- -

 

“We... won,” Kyuhyun mumbled almost inaudibly and Zhou Mi nodded his head.

They were going back to Super Junior’s dorm and Kyuhyun with Zhou Mi were sitting in the backseat while Kyuhyun’s manager was driving the car.

“I didn’t expect us to win, actually,” Kyuhyun finally lifted his head to look at the other male and smiled a little. “However, it made me happy.”

“Me too,” Zhou Mi blinked innocently, holding out his hand for Kyuhyun to take.

Maknae took his hand and squeezed it, failing to hide a honestly happy smile.

“I’m so glad I chose you,” he whispered.

“You didn’t tell me the reason yet,” Zhou Mi reminded him and leaned back in his seat, ready to hear it now.

“Oh, c’mon. You’re going to spend the night in my room, since there’s one extra bed. I’ll tell you before you fall asleep,” Kyuhyun laughed silently and looked through the window.

But Zhou Mi pouted and touched maknae’s jaw with his fingers, seducing the other male to look at him into the eye.

“Tell me now.”

Kyuhyun hesitated before voicing out the reason for his decision, but he knew he couldn’t keep it inside any longer.

“I realized I had been in love with you since that time.”


I know that spending the night in Kyu's room gave you suggestive ideas and it's not absolutely absurd, because there's gonna be a sequel for this story. A ty one, of course. I just tried to finish this without any just in case there would be people who wouldn't want to read about their pairing getting all and stuff. So yeah. And those people can forget about reading the sequel! Sequel will be for those, who, of course, are addicts just like me.... (: Enjoy the story.