Drowning Alone

Drowning Alone

"Hi, miss me?" Kei felt excitement run through his veins as soon as Arisa answered his call.

 

They're a couple who is having a long distance relationship right now. And like the others, only phonecalls and social networking sites are the those that help them keep in touch with each other. They're both busy at school that's why they only talk during night. However, it seems like Arisa is busier than before. She didn't pick up Kei's calls for the past three days. That's why Kei misses her so much.

 

"Of course..." He heard Arisa giggled. "..not!"

 

"You're really a bad girl." He chuckled. "You seem busy this week. Isn't that your exam week is already over?" On the other line, he heard the sound of Arisa's movement. It seemed like she was shifting from her position on her bed. He also heard her whispering something he couldn't understand. "Arisa?" 

 

"Oh, sorry. Yup! I've been busy." 

 

"What have you been doing?" 

 

She didn't answer. Instead, Kei heard lots of muffled sound. Also, he heard another voice. A voice he actually half expected. The voice of a guy he had been hearing for almost a week now. 

 

"A-Arisa?" Kei stuttered. "Are you alone there?" 

 

It seemed like Arisa's breathing stopped for a while. "O-oh! Uhm, of course! You know I'm living alone in a condo right? I'm just a bit busy because I'm working on something." 

 

He frowned but his heartbeat fasten. One of the things he hate about being away from his girl is the thought that there would be times that their trust in each other will be challenged. He knew she's hiding something from him. He was so sure he heard something. Not only that, it wasn't the first time he heard that. 

 

"Are you telling the truth?" he whispered to his phone. 

 

"Of--" 

 

Arisa stopped talking when someone interjected. "Just tell him the truth!" 
 

"Hiro!" She exclaimed. 

 

His heart stopped beating for a while. 'Hiro? Who's that?' 

 

"Who's--"

 

The call ended. 

 

Kei tried contacting her again but she wouldn't pick up. Out of frustration, he threw his on his bed. He stood up and paced inside his room. 'She...she isn't cheating on me, right?' 

 

The voice of the guy had been bothering him but since Arisa wasn't talking about it, he didn't mind. He trusts her. 

 

But his thoughts didn't. 

 

'What is she supposed to tell me? That she has a relationship aside fron ours?' He stopped walking and ruffled his own hair. "That can't be, right? She's.. she's not like that! And she's in love with me, isn't she?" 

 

He sat down his bed. 'But... what if she isn't? She didn't hesistate to leave me here. Am I the only one who fell deep that I'm already drowning? I am the one who had a big crush on her when we were in highschool.' He shook his head and laughed at himself. "Impossible. I'm not drowning alone. I'm just overthinking." 

 

But his thoughts wouldn't stop. He was already drowned in his thoughts. He couldn't sleep. He kept on thinking about it. He's not mad. He's more like afraid that she already replaced him. 

 

As always, in the deep night, he's thinking of her. Only this time, his thoughts about her are killing his own poor heart. 

 

He sighed. 'If ever she's cheating on me, what will I do?' 

 

In the end, he was able to sleep for only few hours. Good thing, the next day was a Saturday. 

 

Since he is living alone too because his family is away from Tokyo, he cooked his own breakfast. After eating, he took his phone and dialed his friend's number. That friend of him is studying at Arisa's school too and living at the same condominium building as Arisa. 

 

After the second ring, his friend answered the call. "Hello, Kei? What's up?" 

 

"I have a question about Arisa," he sighed. 

 

"Hmm? Did you two had a problem, bro?" 

 

"Well, does she have a close friend who's a guy?" He bit his lip and waited for an answer. 

 

"I don't think so," his friend said. 

 

"Is she with a someone when she got home there last night?" He asked again. 

 

"Huh?" There was confusion on his friend's voice. "Didn't you know? She's already in Tokyo. We have a short vacation right now." 

 

His eyes widened. He put down the cup of coffee he was about to drink. "What?!" He exclaimed. "She's here? Since when?!" 

 

'Why didn't she tell me? Is it really possible that she's hiding something... someone?' 

 

"Since Sunday, bro." 

 

"Thanks. Bye." He hung up. 

 

He finished eating his breakfast and took a quick shower. He hastily wear decent clothes and went out of his unit. He knew where to find Arisa. She's probably with her mother and sister. What he didn't know is what will he do if they see her? What will she tell her? But he knew what he's going to do with her. 

 


 

"Kei's not answering my calls!" Arisa sighed while staring at her phone and trying to contact Kei. She looked at the guy sitting beside her at the stairs that lead to their house. "It's all your fault, Rai!" 

 

"What?" The guy raised his brow. "I didn't do anything! I just suggested you to tell him that you're already in Tokyo. And it was Hiro's fault why you ended the call improperly." He looked at the dog seated at his lap. "Right, Hiro?"

 

"Don't you know the meaning of surprise?" She rolled her eyes when Hiro barked. "Argh! It was your fault too, you know. Who told you that you can bring Hiro inside my room? He scattered my reports and I haven't arranged them yet. I was forced too fix everything because of it!" 

 

Rai grinned and shook his head. "Poor you." Suddenly, he looked in front. His jaw dropped. "This is what you call surprise," he muttered. 

 

She followed his gaze. "Oh my goodness!" She stood up and ran toward the guy whose jaw is hanging open at the end of the stairs. "Kei!" 

 

Kei looked at her and then at Rai. She bit her lip. 'Kei doesn't know who Rai is! He might think that Rai's my boyfriend!' 

 

Kei stayed quiet. She didn't know what to say so she just forced a grin. "Surprise!" 

 

Unlike Kei, Arisa is always positive. She hates drama so she fixes things in a cheerful manner especially if the problem is just a misunderstanding.

 

"Yeah, I'm surprised." His voice was as cold as the expression of his eyes.

 

"Kei-kun, you're so cold!" She pouted. "You know I'll never cheat on you! Rai's just my cousin." 

 

"Who's Hiro then?" He raised his brow. 

 

She laughed. "That's him!" She pointed the dog on Rai's lap. 

 

"You got jealous of a dog," Rai said while laughing too. 

 

Kei's expression softened. He shook his head and laughed at himself. "I got jealous of that dog?" 

 

"Yes, Kei-kun." Arisa encircled Kei's waist with her arms. She stopped for a moment and touched something Kei had in his hand that is hidden behind his back. She stepped backward. "What..." 

 

He showed her his hand that is holding a boquet of light pink flowers. "Surprise!" he mimicked the way she told him that earlier and chuckled. 

 

"But I thought you're mad at me!" She raised a brow. 

 

"Hmm." He took her hands and placed the boquet there. "I'm not mad. I  just thought you have someone other than me. So I decided to make you fall in love with me again. But this time, it will be so deep you'll drown with me. You'll leave the other guy and choose me. You'll think of me every night. You'll miss me every night. And you couldn't wait for the morning to come every night. Because it's unfair that you'll leave me drowning alone in my deep love for you."