Feels Like Insomnia

Alarm Clock

It felt so nice to lie down with Hakyeon in their bed, night after night, so warm, so peaceful. As though time and space meant nothing. It was just the two of them. Entangling their limbs and being so close, it made Taekwoon’s heart skip. He adored how lovely and sweet Hakyeon’s face looked as he grew drowsier, finally closing his eyes completely, soft snores and little puffs of hot air ghosting onto Taekwoon’s lips.

But lately, these nights, Taekwoon had more trouble sleeping than ever. He would wait until he was sure Hakyeon was completely asleep, moving just a little to reach for the newspaper or a book or his phone to look at. If he wasn’t going to be able to sleep, he needed something to occupy his restless mind, and with something quiet enough to not wake the sleeping man snuggled next to him.

On one particular night, their bedroom door creaked open. Taekwoon gasped, surprised because it was only once in a blue moon one of the others or their managers would be up at this hour, let alone come into their room. Wonsik’s head poked through the opening, silently beckoning Taekwoon to follow him. Why did wonsik ask for him? Taekwoon thought to himself. But he tried not to think of that too much at this instant, just making sure he slid out of bed as daintily as possible, planting a kiss into Hakyeon’s hair before walking out of the room to see just what Wonsik wanted of him.

Taekwoon padded into the kitchen, finding Wonsik leaning against the counter, a mug in his hand, and another beside him on the granite surface. Taekwoon then joined him, leaning his broad frame heavily on the younger, slouching a little to rest his head on his shoulder. “You’re not at the studio tonight?” Taekwoon questioned sleepily. Most nights and through to the wee hour of the morning, Wonsik would stay in the recording studio across town, taking short naps on the little cot installed for him there. Wonsik handed Taekwoon the untouched mug. 

 “Nah, not tonight. I thought it’d be nice to be home with everyone at night for a change. Besides, Hakyeon has been messaging me that you haven’t been sleeping too well lately. And, you know, he’s concerned and so am I.” Taekwoon sipped the hot tea, taking in its bouquet and aroma. Ah, it must be that nighttime tea Hakyeon drinkss before bed. The taste is so nice, so comforting. Chamomile and mint.. and honey. Taekwoon smiled at the flavor, remembering it how he could always taste what remained of the tea on Hakyeon’s lips and tongue before going to sleep. 

 “But tell me, hyungie.. do you know why you haven’t been able to sleep? You always talked about how sleeping with Hakyeon made you.. what were the words you used to describe it?” Wonsik knew exactly the answer, but perhaps if Taekwoon would say it out loud, it would remind him, put him at ease. Taekwoon sighed. 

 “Hakyeon is.. a warm sunny spring day? Mm.. like when you’ve been abroad and you come back and its so nice.. he’s.. he’s home to me.” Wonsik beamed at Taekwoon’s drowsy face, blushing with content on his thoughts about what he had just said. “But.. I do miss you, Wonsikkie.. and I’m pretty sure Hakyeonnie does, too.”

 Wonsik could see the tiredness setting in on him. Wonsik set their empty mugs down, cupping the side of Taekwoon’s face, leaning over to press their lips together languidly. “You must be so stressed lately, hyungie. I’m sorry. Would you feel better if I came to sleep with the two of you? Hmm?” Taekwoon nodded, pecking light kisses all over Wonsik’s face, intertwining their fingers. Taekwoon’s wordless way of saying ‘yes, thank you’, making their way back to Hakyeon and Taekwoon’s bedroom. This time Taekwoon was not so careful about making motion in the bed, he wanted Hakyeon to stir, just enough to know that Wonsik was there with them, to see his half-asleep face light up. The three of them fell asleep like that, nestled unter the comforter. Hakyeon’s face buried in Taekwoon’s neck, their frontsides flush so warm and so close together, legs tangled, Taekwoon’s arms s around Hakyeon’s waist securely, and Wonsik pressed behind Taekwoon, wrapping his arms against the elder’s shoulders. Wonsik’s voice was low, so smooth and comforting. He whispered over Taekwoon’s neck, hoping both of his hyungs could hear, “Goodnight.”