Chapter One

My Own Shooting Star

I awoke uncomfortably to someone jumping on my bed. I slowly opened my eyes and lazily ran a hand through my messy hair.

“Oh, you’re awake! Hurry up and get dressed.” The voice said… Ten… “Hansol wants us in the practice room in two hours.”

"Okay. I'm up. I'm up" I chuckled. "Stop jumping on the bed, you're giving me a headache.”

He laughed. "I'm sorry. Jaehyun made me do it." He pouted and held the tips of his ears with both hands. I had to look away to avoid any form of embarrassment.

What does he think he's doing?

I quickly got up, walking towards the bathroom.

"I'm gonna kill Jaehyun." I joked. He joined in the fun and replied, "I'll be your partner in crime." I started brushing my teeth as he stood next to me in the bathroom.

What is this? Why isn't he leaving?

"I heard Johnny Hyung and Yuta Hyung talking about a vacation? Do you think we're finally getting one?"

Silence. How does he expect me to talk with a toothpaste filled mouth?

He realized this and gave me a goofy grin. "I'll be downstairs. Meet us in the practice room when you're done."

I nodded as I felt him pat my back and left the bathroom.

Ten minutes later and I was done. I inspected my face in the mirror and did a few facial expressions. I wish I was as confident off-stage as I was on-stage. I feel like a 12 year old girl with her first crush on a boy. I'm thankful that Ten is at least oblivious to most things, even if I slip up accidentally, he won't know a thing.

 Arghhh! What is happening to me?!

I hurried down the stairs but that was bad idea because my head suddenly collided with someone's chest.

"Ah! Taeyong-ah! Who are you running from?!" Ten screamed as he burst out laughing. "Are you okay? Come here." He touched the side of my forehead softly. "Does it hurt?"

"I'm f-fine. It doesn't hurt." I lied. "I'm sorry. I should be more careful. A-are you okay?" I reached out to rub his chest but he grabbed my hand instead.

"I'm fine as long as you are." He smiled. "I made some Thai banana pancakes for you. I know how much you like them."

I nodded. "Thank you. I'll eat and see you when I'm done."

"Don't take too long, you know how angry Hansol gets if we're late for practice."

"I got it. Just go already." I giggled nervously but he wasn’t leaving.

"I'm not leaving until I see you take a bite." He sat on the dining table and stared down at me. I felt like a kid being ordered to eat his veggies.

I took a huge bite of the pancakes he made and it seemed to satisfy him. "Finish all of it." Would you still be this way if you knew.....

“Arraseo.” I mouthed.

* * *

I walked into the practice room and immediately wanted to walk out...

Jaehyun was all over him. They were laughing and talking back and forth. They have been best friends for as long as I can remember. I hoped to one day make Ten laugh as loudly as Jaehyun could.

I want to be the reason for his happiness. I know they are just friends, but I turn into a jealous fool everytime I see them together.

I sighed softly to myself and greeted the other guys. I went to stand in my usual spot as Hansol announced, "Finally, now that everyone's here, we can start."

I concentrated on the dance, trying to perfect my moves. I wanted to get the image of Jaehyun and Ten out of my mind. I shut my eyes tightly for a minute and took a deep breath. You can do this... you can do this... come on Taeyong..

About halfway through the dance.. I decided to be bold and steal a glance at him. Big mistake. He caught me and couldn't stop grinning. I quickly looked away but I could still feel his eyes on me.

Why is he staring at me? His eyes were intense and a little bit frightening. I felt all of a sudden. What is he looking at? I bit my bottom lip nervously and continued with the dance.

I took one more dangerous glance at Ten but this time he wasn't looking at me. I saw him playfully bump into Jaehyun and the two of them laughing about it quietly. I had enough. My mind went blank and the room became claustrophobic. I struggled to keep up and my legs betrayed me as I fell to the floor.

Johnny stopped the music and quickly rushed over to me. "Taeyong! Are you okay?" Everyone had worried looks on their face.

"Do you need a break? I think you should go outside and get some fresh air." Hansol said as he helped me to get up. I pretended to cough and chuckled a little. "I'm so clumsy today. Sorry Hyung. I think I'll go out for a while." I made my way to the door but I felt a hand on my shoulder. It was Ten's. "I think I'll go with him." I heard him say.

My eyes widened.

No...

"You don't have to Ten. I.. I want to be alone." I said softly as he registered the words. He pouted cutely at me and I almost lost it.

"Sorry." I found the elevators and pushed the button for the lobby.

"Arghhh." I let out a loud groan as soon as I was outside. I decided jogging was going to help me clear my head so I took off running towards the Han River Park. Get it together Taeyongie.. you can't afford to have a mental breakdown right now. I told myself as I took a few deep breaths.

Why was he staring at me though? Could I have imagined it? Yes... that must be it.

There's no way he... I shook my head. Why would he...

He doesn't feel the same. I probably looked crazy and he wanted to know if I was alright. Yes, it was probably out of concern for me.

After jogging for some time, I found an old bench and took a seat on it. Why is this happening to me? I covered my face with both hands.

"What are you doing here?" That voice... I looked up at Ten's face and forced a small smile. "Just thinking. Why are you here? How’d you know I’d be here?”

“You always come here when something is bothering you.” He replied as he took one of my hands in his. I tried to pull away from him but he held on tightly.

“Let go.” I quietly demanded. He kept on looking at my eyes but I didn’t want to look at his. I directed my gaze to the green grass below my feet.

“W-what.. why do you think something is bothering me?” I tried to make my voice sound as normal as possible.

“Do you think I’m stupid, Taeyong-ah?” He asked, holding the side of my face and bringing my gaze upon him.

He entwined our fingers together and I fought the tears back. I took a few slow breaths. Ten, please… don’t do this… I can’t… why don’t you understand…?

He sat beside me. "Listen Taeyong, I know you've been out of it for the last few weeks. I don't know what's going on with you but if you need someone to talk to-"

I burst out laughing as he looked at me incredulously. "I'm being serious." He poked my right side playfully. "Aigoooo..." I joked and pinched one of his cheeks. "Thank you for worrying about me but I'm fine. I'm just stressed I guess. With everything that’s being going on with EXO sunbaenims...." I'm such a good liar.

The sun was beginning to set and the sky had turned into a nice red-orangey color. Ten rested his head on my shoulder and nodded. "Me too... I wish we could help them." I could hear sirens go off in my head. PLEASE STOP TEASING ME! I cleared my throat and tried to distract myself from what was happening. I held my breath for a few seconds and pushed his head away softly.

"Whyyyy...??" He whined like a little kid. "It's comfortable" This boy is impossible... He went too far when I felt his arms wrap around my waist and he struggled to get closer to me.

"What are you doing? “Filming a teddy bear commercial?" I asked coldly. I was annoyed at this point because he wasn't saying anything and his actions were puzzling.

"Yes, a teddy bear named Taeyongie." He grinned. I shook my head.. this flirt... "Let's go back. I bet they're wondering where we went." I got up but he grabbed a hold of my hand. “Do you want to grab something to eat first? I’m starving.” He tried the pouting game again… I sighed. “Alright but we have to get back by 6:00pm.” I looked at my watch and it read 4:45pm.

All it takes is one soft look from him, one small gesture and my heartbeat speeds up.. my cheeks turn the color of a dozen red roses.. my knees feel like jelly.. my thoughts scatter and have a wild party in my head.

I get so nervous.

How is it that a single person can make you feel like this?

When we met two years ago, I just knew instantly that he was going to be my weakness. His smile, the way he talked... I didn't know it was going to be this bad.

It drives me crazy. I don't know know what to do with these feelings anymore. It's wrong. I'm suprised I've kept them hidden for so long. He's making it extremely hard to do so these days. Everytime I hear his voice, there's a fluttering feeling in my stomach and it won’t go away. No matter how hard I try, my heart just screams his name so loud. It always wants to see his smile and hear sweet words from his mouth. It always wants to feel his touch. His warmth.

I silently thanked the heavens when his cellphone started ringing.

He sighed and let go of my hand, reaching into his pocket to take the phone out. “Hello?!” He answered a bit too harshly.

“Yeah I know, I’m with him right now, Johnny. We’re at Hangang Park.” He was looking straight as he talked on the phone. I felt so around him. “I’m not sure, we’ll be there in 20 minutes.”

I directed my gaze to the ice cream truck in the distance and to my surprise I saw Ten walking towards it. I opened my mouth to stop him but he was already out of reach.

I could feel the nervousness settle in and my palms getting sweaty. I sat down again. He was getting us ice-creams cones.

I looked to my right and was surprised to see Yuta jogging towards me. What is he doing here…? I quickly sat up straight and greeted him.

“Are you alright, Taeyong-hyung? We were all worried.”

I forced a huge smile. “Yeah, Yuta. I’m fine now. I just wanted to get some fresh air and clear my head.”

He nodded. “As long as you’re okay.” He saw Ten in the distance and smiled. “Ten’s here too?”

Ten saw us and came running with two ice cream cones in his hand.

“Yuta, what’s up? Why are you here?” Ten sat down and handed me a cone.”

“I came straight here when I heard Johnny talking on the phone with you. I wanted to make sure Taeyong was okay. The other guys were pretty worried. But he’s all fine now so that’s what matters.”

Ten gave me a look but I avoided it.

I cleared my throat. “I think we should head back now guys. It’s already almost 6:00pm. Here.. Yuta, you can have this.” I handed him the ice cream cone.”

“No, you eat it. I got it for you. Yuta can have mines.” Ten interrupted as he took the cone from Yuta’s hand and place it in mines.”

I bit my bottom lip and took it helplessly. I took one small because it was starting to melt. He smiled satisfyingly as I begun to take more . Yuta looked at us weirdly and laughed. “Gosh, you’re so embarrassing Ten, stop acting like his boyfriend.”

I nearly choked. B-b-boyfriend…?

Ten’s eyed widened. “Are you crazy? I’m concerned for him. That’s all. Stop being weird.”

My eyes dropped to the floor. Of course…

We slowly began to walk to the dorm. It took around 15-20 minutes.

“See you guys in the practice room.” Yuta waved at the two of us who were just standing there in the living room. There was an awkward tension in the air. I felt him moving closer to me

I tried to follow Yuta but my hand was violently grabbed by Ten. “Where do you think you’re going?!” He demanded a bit harshly. “Did you think our conversation from earlier was finished? I know you’re not okay so you don’t have to pretend around me.”

“Ten… please.. stop it.” My voice was weak when it comes to him. Why is he making this so hard…?

“I just want you to be okay, Taeyong. How can I help you if you don’t tell me what’s wrong?”

“I told you I’m fine, Ten. Why don’t you just let it go already.” I whispered.

I tried to break free from his grip but he almost had me pinned against the wall. I swallowed hard. “I have a lot on my mind. That’s all, Ten. P-please let me go… I.. We have practice…”

He finally let go after a few seconds.

He stood looking at the floor, as I walked away and proceeded to head down to the basement practice room.

Hansol was furious as usual. “Where have you guys been?! We can’t afford any mistakes at the showcase. I’m going to have to be responsible for your sorry asses if you mess up! So please, can we all just get back to practicing?!” Johnny and Jaehyun tried to calm him down.

We all got into our spots and positions for Shinhwa’s “Wild Eyes.”

 

****

Chapter End.

 

Omo… what do you guys think? *hides*