We all have faults in our stars

The fault in our stars

 

“They’re beautiful.” I glanced over at him when he said that; he had his eyes glued to the night sky, watching it, as if he was waiting for it to change. I opened my mouth to speak, only to in a breath and close my mouth again a moment later. I closed my eyes and turned my head back to face the sky.

“They are pretty…” I sighed out. I shifted my hands into my pockets before opening my eyes again.

 Jonghyun and I were currently on top of our dorm’s roof. Management finally left us change the rooftop into a patio-like area. We sat on one of the two couches we had out – sitting in the center, leaning our shoulders together.

I lifted my head again and sat up a bit straighter to look around for the rest of the group. Taemin was passed out on the couch across from us, with Jinki sitting on the floor by his legs, resting his head on the seat cushion – also asleep. I strained my head a bit more to look for Minho, who I found sitting on the edge of the roof, off in the corner by our telescope, sipping his hot cocoa.

I pushed myself up to sit properly, pulling my legs up onto the couch before I reached out to grab my tea cup off the coffee table. Jonghyun sat up then too, reaching out to get his own drink. We sat there, drinking quietly, before Jonghyun spoke up.

 “Stars are perfect, huh?” he said into his mug. I turned to look at him, watching as he took another sip of his cocoa, not bothering to elaborate.

“Not really.” I whispered, “I think we all have different stars – that the sky looks different to everyone.” I took another sip, “We’re all stars in someone’s sky, and when someone is happy their star shines brighter – like when the look in someone’s eye is just so happy they gleam, and it makes your day a little brighter too. I mean, stars look really close together, but really they’re thousands or millions of miles apart; they must get lonely too. Maybe that’s why, when people are sad, their star dims and they look even farther away from the rest. Stars may be big and bright, but nothing shines forever.” I took a breath before downing the last of my tea and setting the empty cup back on the table, “We all feel bad sometimes Jjong. We all have faults in our stars.”

At this point, Jjong had finished his cocoa, had turned to face me, the sudden attention made my cheeks flush so I turned away. I sat back against the couch before pulling my knees to my chest. I stuffed my hands back into my pockets and leaned my head back to look up at the sky again.

“They can’t be perfect.” I mumbled. Jonghyun stayed silent, but I felt him move back to his previous position next to me. I looked at him out of the corner of my eye; he was still looking up as if the stars were going to spell something out to him. I let out a small sigh, watching my breath fog up in front of me before getting blown away by the breeze. He pulled my hand out of my pocket and held in it his own, our fingers interlocking almost automatically.

“Your eyes are like stars…” I whispered, looking down at our hands. I was trying to say, that even though not everyone is perfect, some can be damn close.

“You are my star – the only one in my sky.” He said suddenly. I looked up at him then, my eyes going a little wider.

“I know you think that nothing can be perfect, but, I think someone’s imperfection can make them perfect to someone else. Like that saying; beauty is in the eyes of the beholder – something like that.” He looked away from me then to look back up at the sky.

“Your stars may have faults,” he began again, “but mine are beautiful in every way, they’re perfect to me… because you are my star.”

I squeezed his hand and leaned forwards. He turned his head towards me again with a small smile playing on his lips.

“I love you Jonghyun.” I whispered, he moved closer until our noses touched.

“I love you too Kibum.” He said, before closing the small gap left between our lips.