02

Walking on Glass

“How can I stand out in the examination?” she thought to herself, staring at the others.

All the female trainees were cramped in the same studio room, sweat stench filling the air. The repeated audio of ‘The Boys’ sounded from every corner of the room. Everyone was perfecting their dance in precision, staring at the mirror with such intensity that it could crack anytime. She knew most of them were a lot better in dancing as compared to her but she never knew they were this good. It was even more frightening when they were no longer afraid to show off their skills. It was as if they were telling the others to back off with their dance. Soojung shuddered at the thought of being last in the quarter finals. This time, everyone was performing the same song and they were working harder than ever. The CEO had promised the first of the examination gets to release a track. Everyone wanted to be first. Debut was at stake. 

Soojung sighed and left the studio room, feeling defeated. She knew she was pathetic. She had thrown both her hands up even before the battle begun. Sneaking to the rooftop, she inhaled the cold air. It was autumn but why did it felt like winter in heart. Tucking her hands in her pocket, she shivered slightly. She could see those identical looking buildings everywhere from her view. It felt suffocating, just looking at them.

“You should not be out wearing such thin clothing.”

Soojung spun around in surprise, taking a few steps back in response. She felt her back hit the concrete wall and it jerked her back into her senses. Recognising the familiar face, her head dipped into the air immediately. Her fists had curled up into a ball nervously, he noticed.

“Annyeonghaesayo Hoya sunbaenim.”

“I thought I said Hoya oppa would do the other time.” Hoya corrected.

“-am I someone that makes you uncomfortable too?” he mumbled, staring at her.

“No, that’s not the case… Please don’t misunderstand.” Soojung quickly clarified, shaking her head.

“That’s good to hear.” He broke out into an amused laugh.

Soojung felt her cheeks warm as she looked down in embarrassment.

“It’s cold. Get in quickly, Soojung-ssi.” Hoya said before he left.

 

-Flashback-

The boy shifted uncomfortably in the leather seat, playing with his fingers. His actions were making Soojung nervous as well. He wore a simple black hoodie and baggy pants. Soojung stole a quick glance and he was adjusting his cap nervously. From head to toe, he gave off a strong hip hop vibe. She wondered if he was here to sign up as a solo hip hop dance artist. Inhaling deeply, she contemplated whether she should get to know him. Soojung eventually decided she had to be more outgoing if she wanted to choose this path so she tried.

“Hello. My name is Lee Soojung.” Soojung first self-introduced, extending her hand.

Her hand lingered in the air for an awkwardly long period before the boy shifted his gaze to her. She was just about to retract her hand with an awkward smile when he took her hand in his quickly. A quick firm handshake but his sweaty palms gave him away. 

“Lee Howon.” He shook her hand and quickly released it, averting her gaze.

“Nice to meet you, Howon-ssi.” Soojung cracked into a soft laughter at his shy response.  

-

“He remembered my name from back then?” she thought to herself, puzzled.

Soojung had always thought Hoya recognized her as just another Woolliment trainee. It surprised her to no end that he remembered her name. Pushing those thoughts at the back of her mind, Soojung decided to focus on practice. The quarter examinations were nearing and it was her best chance to debut. Just like everyone else, she wanted needed to be first. Pinching the bridge of her nose, she thought hard for new ideas. Then, it struck her. 

“Warm honey is good for the throat.” Soojung stirred her drink and got lost in her thoughts.

Her mother used to tell her that often. She could no longer remember how long it has been since she last called back. She wanted her next phone call with her mum to be a congratulatory one. She had always dreamt of how she would excitedly call and tell her mum, shedding tears of happiness, that she was finally going to debut. She didn’t want the conversation to end up the same way as her last callback. She didn’t want to get scolded once more and be forced to return to Gwangju by her father. She was no longer a kid. She knew what she wanted. Seoul was where her dreams lies and she was going nowhere.

With clenched fist, Soojung continued her practice.

“Go away.” A sharp voice interrupted everyone’s practice.

A girl with a high ponytail tied up stormed out of the studio. Whispers aroused in the room after she left.

“She thinks she is still INFINITE’s little baby sister huh.” One of them sneered.

“She is just a good-for-nothing who can’t sing and dance for .” Another snarled with crossed arms.

“I bet she came in with connections.” The pretty one rolled her eyes.

“She is rude as hell.” One trainee added and the others nodded along.

Soojung bit her lips at their comments that fired as lethal as bullets. It seemed like many were very unhappy with her, she thought. Soojung remembers her name being Yoo Ji Ae. If she had known her better, Soojung thought she would have spoken up for her. But she was in no position, anyways. She remained quiet, just as she has always been. Sometimes, fading in the background can be a blessing in disguise too.

The trainee talents quarter examination was here finally.

Soojung had put on light make up and went along with her baggy pants and simple design crop top. She could tell some of the trainees were judging her from head to toe. They thought she looked like a joke, she knew it. Holding onto her cap nervously, she bit her lips. The others went with y dresses, smokey make up and shimmering outfits. Their attire showed off their endless legs that resembled those of Girls Generation’s. However, in them, Soojung saw shadows of the GG members. That was the last thing she wanted. She looked down at herself and inhaled deeply. It was not time to lose confidence. She had prepared well and she just has to do well. Soojung smiled, looking up with a different light in her eyes. She was ready.

“Lee Soojung.”

“Annyeonghaesayo, Lee Soojung-imnida.” Soojung introduced herself formally.

Then, she noticed someone new sitting in the judges’ panel- Kim Sunggyu.

“You may begin, Soojung-ssi.” He smiled.

The song began and Soojung danced to her best but she could see the judges’ motionless faces. They probably had seen better dances, as she had expected. She waited and the moment the part came, she inhaled deeply. Soojung swiftly turned her cap to the back and unleashed her self-composed rap. She hoped they would accept well.

“You know the girls.” Soojung went down smoothly and posed. 

After a few seconds, she quickly got up and stood still, waiting for the judges’ remarks.

“You have improved, Soojung.” The CEO started, tapping his pen on the table.

“You probably know that some of the other trainees were better in dancing so you went on to include your forte, rapping, didn’t you?” he asked.

She nodded at his comment, meeting his eyes briefly.

“That worked out brilliantly.” He complimented and Soojung thought her silent prayers were well heard.

“You hit the high notes pretty well too.” Another voice cut in.

Soojung met eyes with Sunggyu and he added, “Good job.”

Soojung would be lying if her heart didn’t skip a beat at his words. Walking out of the room, Soojung had never felt so good for a long while. It worked out well, she was so thankful to the heavens for answering her prayers. The staff rounded up all the trainees in the studio room and everyone quickly made their way to the blackboard.  They were checking their names excitedly and Soojung played with her fingers nervously. She was too short to see the list so she stayed at the back but soon, everyone parted. She felt eyes on her.

“Congratulations Soojung-ah!” She felt some of the trainees hugging her.

The person behind the door walked away silently upon seeing joyous tears spill from her eyes. 

 

Author's Note: 

Hello everyone! :D 
Thank you for the overwhelming response and love for this fic T-T
Please keep the comments coming, it will spur me to  update quicker. <33
I will try harder. :')