Prologue

Chasing a Starlight

A/N: Meep here! First of all, thank you for deciding to give this story a chance. ^_^

I would like to mention that the POV will frequently switch between the main characters. The choice is based on two criteria. First, depending on the relevance or emotional depth of their insight. Second, relying on the importance of their experiences for unraveling the plot.

That's all. Carry on! =D

I only had one boyfriend in my whole life, during high school. Just seeing a guy occasionally checking me out makes me feel increasingly nervous, until I steer clear of men in general. It makes me wonder, what did he do so differently? Why did I end up dating that specific boy? I couldn’t find any answer and lately the questions kept flooding my mind. I should mention now, I leave no problems unsolved. Even if it takes days, I always find the solution. It’s part of the reason I got where I am now. But this is not just rocket science! It’s so much more complicated!

“Lee Young!”                       

Hearing my name being called out snapped me out of my daydreaming and I got up, straightening my shirt and skirt. I haven’t been dressed this presentable since my interview to get into college, last year. I thought the scholarship would be enough to cover my expenses, but it soon turned out I was mistaken, so here I was, applying for a job as a secretary. Beats me why funding a rocket science enthusiast through college doesn’t seem important enough for them. At least as a secretary people won’t try to cop a feel while giving me a tip in a shady restaurant. And I’d be decently dressed.

As I walked ahead, I thought I was going to faint along the way. It was as if I was being dragged into an interrogation room. I had to keep from screaming “I’m innocent!”. The interview seemed to drag on forever and the woman in front of me made me gulp so many times my throat was starting to hurt. I was never quite good at human interaction, mostly because of having social anxiety since I can remember. Think of happy things, Young-ah. Calming, relaxing things. And don’t forget to look in this woman’s eyes, because apparently you’re not going to ever get a job otherwise. All’s good if she doesn’t turn you into a stone statue by the end. I was slowly starting to hallucinate snakes flowing down from her hair and trying to poison me.

The happiest I ever felt was during the summer I was 8, when I saw the first rocket launch in my life. It fascinated me and it changed my life forever. The next day I went to the library first thing in the morning. By the end of the year I had read everything I could find about rockets in there, from magazines and specialty books to fiction. I’m one of those lucky people who know what they want to do early in their lives. Picturing sending this woman off into the sun was calming enough to make the rest of the interview bearable. When we both got up I could finally notice that she was pregnant and part of me felt bad for imagining her dead. I decided to keep those thoughts in store for after she gave birth. The next thing I noticed was that she had no wedding ring.

“Please stop staring,” she almost growled, glaring at me. I hadn’t realized I was until she mentioned it and hearing her displeased tone made me blush to the tips of my ears in embarrassment.

“I’m sorry, I just... love children,” I tried to pull off my cutest smile and brush my impoliteness off as admiration.

“Well I don’t.”

At this point there was nothing in the world this woman could say or do to make me stop hating her guts.

“We will contact you. You can go now.”

I took the invitation as my Get Out of Jail Free card, bowed respectfully and left. My knees were still weak from all the anxiety I had felt and I hated myself for choosing heels instead of flats today. After closing the door I leaned against a wall, closed my eyes and took deep breaths. I could still hear the noise, the phones ringing on and on, the voices in the background, and I realized I needed to get out of there as quickly as I could. My body felt heavy, but I headed for the elevator trying to look composed and mature. Just put one foot in front of the other, Young-ah. No one is watching you. There’s no one here. If I could convince myself of that, my mission was halfway accomplished. I hit the button and was now waiting for the doors to open and take me away from this place.

Right when the elevator finally arrived, I heard a familiar voice and froze. I went against my first instinct and looked in that direction. The voice came from a man standing with his back towards me. I thought of him again, for the second time today... and it was slowly coming back to me. The way he made me feel... That was it! He never looked at me like I was his conquest, his girlfriend or his love interest. He always had warm eyes that made me feel safe, as if his sole purpose was to become the reason I was smiling. That was the answer! I felt so relieved upon finally solving the mystery I could as well do a happy dance, but all the excitement was out of me as soon as the man standing in front of me turned around. The shock numbed my whole body and as I was standing there, staring dumbly, the elevator closed and cruelly abandoned me, as if saying “solve your own issues, girl, not just problems and mysteries”. I wanted to turn and shout at it, punch the button again, open the doors with my bare hands and run away, but I couldn’t do anything other than look in Kim Jongin’s eyes.

A/N:

Love it? Hate it? Leave an opinion!

Want to see what comes next? Subscribe!

Want to be friends? PM me! \(^o^)/