003

AU Challenge: Single Parent + Jaeli

Prompt: you asked me to the store with you and your child, and now my distant relative we met thinks im married with a baby 

AJ hummed quietly to himself as he followed Eli through the grocery store, stopping occasionally to grab something from the shelves. In a moment of desperation Eli had called and asked AJ to watch Aiden for an hour or two while he did his weekly grocery run. AJ had taken one look at his friend and just knew that he wasn't going to be able to carry everything on his own, too exhausted from the long work week and caring for a baby by himself. He offered to run to the store and get everything himself but Eli's pride wouldn't allow it, so AJ ended up carrying Aiden while Eli gathered the items on his list. They'd just turned down the baby aisle when AJ heard a voice behind him calling his name. He turned, confused, then groaned inwardly when he saw his great aunt. There's always that one relative that nobody's ever excited to see.

"Jaeseop dear, I haven't seen you in so long!" His aunt called in that over-affectionate voice that all distant relatives seem to use. The woman's eyes lit up when she saw Aiden in his arms. "My, it has been a long time, hasn't it. You weren't even seeing anyone the last time I saw you. Who's this precious little thing?" She asked, playing with Aiden's tiny hands. Startled, Aiden jerked back and began to cry. Immediately Eli whipped around the corner, expression somewhere between panic and rage. AJ quickly reassured him that Aiden was fine, briefly introducing Eli and his aunt to one another.

"Do you want me to take him while you catch up?" Eli asked, reaching for the baby. AJ waved him off with a shake of his head.

"It's fine. He was just a little startled. You know how he gets with strangers." AJ's aunt watched the little interaction curiously, noting the way AJ visibly relaxed around the other man and how Eli's eyes constantly flicked down to the baby in AJ's arms.

"You have an interesting accent, Eli. Are you from overseas?" She inquired. Eli flushed, still a bit self-conscious of his korean. AJ fought the smirk wanting to spread across his face, knowing Eli was embarrased.

"Eli's actually from the US. We met in school and tutored each other in languages so he probably sounds like me." AJ answered, taking pity on his friend. His aunt nodded thoughtfully, her suspicions growing. After waving the boys back to their shopping with a pleasent but distracted goodbye she disappeared down the next aisle over, pretending to do some shopping of her own while she snooped.

Eli and AJ exchanged an amused look, but continued through the store without commenting on the strange situation. Eventually they fell back into the same comfortable rhythm as before, Eli gathering necessities while AJ kept Aiden calm, occasionally reaching up to grab something from the top shelf when Eli couldn't reach. All the while they didn't notice AJ's great aunt watching them from around corners and across checkout lines. She smiled softly to herself seeing them squabble over prices and who would carry what, arguing playfully before compromising each time. It wasn't until hours later that AJ realized what his aunt had assumed at the store, having recieved a call from his very confused mother asking if he had married an american man and adopted a baby without telling her. He and Eli shared a laugh over the mistake, knowing they would never live it down.