001

AU Challenge: Single Parent + Jaeli

Prompt: im on the bus and my 2-year-old won’t stop crying, except you just smiled at them and they did

Jaeseop sighed for the umpteenth time, adjusting the sniffling toddler in his lap. Ethan had been fussy since the day before and Jaeseop suspected he had an ear infection, meaning a trip to the doctor. Ever since he heard the word 'doctor' Ethan had cried nonstop, ranging from the pouty sniffles he was currently displaying to all-out tantrums. Nothing Jaeseop did would make him stop and it was beginning to wear on everyone's nerves. The bus creaked to a stop and in the flow of people getting on and off someone plopped down in the seat next to Jaeseop, jostling both him and Ethan and making the toddler cry again.

"Oh man! Did I do that? I'm so sorry!" The stranger turned to look at the fussing toddler, concerned.

"No no, you're fine. He's been grumpy all day. Poor kiddo's got an earache." Jaeseop explained. The stranger nodded in understanding. Once Ethan had settled back down to quiet sniffles and unhappy cooing in his father's arms the newcomer amused himself with making silly faces at the boy. Ethan cocked his head to one side in confusion, making both men laugh. Instantly Ethan stopped crying, intruiged by the stranger's laugh, so different from Jaeseop's. He let out a happy gurgle, reaching for the stranger.

" 'Jjushi!" He squealed happily, trying to squirm out of his father's grip and into the other man's lap. Jaeseop hastily adjusted his grip on the boy, not wanting him to fall or bother the other.

"Sorry about that, he doesn't usually try to climb on other people." Jaeseop apologized, pulling Ethan back. The stranger grinned, shaking his head.

"Nah, it's fine. Both of my sisters have kids so I'm used to it. I'll hold him if that's alright with you." He said. Jaeseop nodded and the other man held out his arms to Ethan. "Come sit with Eli?" He asked the boy. Ethan happily clambered into Eli's lap and started playing with the man's fingers. It was then that Jaeseop noticed the medical brace on the other's wrist.

"So what'd you do to yourself?" He asked, gesturing towards the brace.

"Hm? Oh, this thing?" Eli brought his arm up for inspection. "I'm a stunt double and choreographer for a film school. Had a bad landing a few weeks ago and sprained it."

"Owie?" Ethan piped up from Eli's lap, brows pulled together adorably. Eli nodded. "Oh." Ethan said sadly. "I make owie go 'way." He carefully pressed a soft kiss to the brace with an emphasized 'mwah' sound. The two men couldn't help but smile at the toddler's cuteness. They started chatting about this and that and before they knew it Jaeseop's stop was coming up.

"Well, this is us," Jaeseop sighed, pressing the button for his stop. He quickly gathered his bag from the floor and took a finally happy Ethan back from Eli.

"Actually I need to get off here too." Eli said as the bus rolled to a stop. "Thanks for letting me play with your kid. He's adorable." Jaeseop laughed at that.

"I should be thanking you. I couldn't get him to stop crying until you showed up." He smiled. The two men filed off the bus and headed to the clinic, where they said their goodbyes. Jaeseop carried a pouting Ethan to the pediatrician's office while Eli climbed the stairs to the sports medicine area. Almost an hour later Jaeseop emerged with a perscription for antibiotics and a sleepy toddler, finally wiped out from all his crying. Surprisingly he saw a familiar figure waiting for the bus just outside the door.

"You're still here?" He asked, catching Eli's attention. The other grinned, waving a now brace-free hand.

"Yeah, the appointment before me ran long. Hope you weren't planning on going home soon because I think we just missed the bus." Jaeseop pulled a face at that. Carrying a sleepy kid around town was not on his list of things to do that day but he supposed it couldn't be helped. Ethan pulled his face out of the crook of Jaeseop's neck, whining that he was hungry. Jaeseop's own stomach growled softly, reminding him that he hadn't eaten that morning. He turned his attention back to Eli.

"Tell you what, why don't we get lunch while we wait for the next one. My treat." He offered. The smile he got in return made his heart skip a beat. After an hour of talking and Ethan messily shoveling rice into his mouth between bites of veggies, Jaeseop and Eli discovered a lot more about each other, and Jaeseop was starting to feel things he hadn't felt in years.

"If you have time you should stop by the school and I'll show you around, we can make a day of it." Eli offered, typing his number into Jaeseop's phone as they boarded the bus. Jaeseop almost missed a step. Was Eli asking him on a date? He looked at the other man questioningly but Eli's face gave nothing away. They sat in comfortable silence for a while until Eli's stop came up.

"Well, it was great meeting you and the little man here," Eli said, ruffling Ethan's hair fondly. "If you're ever on the east side you know where to find me." Jaeseop watched as Eli left, turning back to wink at him as he stepped off the bus. If Jaeseop hadn't been paying attention he would have missed Eli miming a telephone and mouthing 'call me' through the window.

Later that evening when Jaeseop had had enough time to process everything that happened that day, he checked his schedule for the week and realized he had a whole day free.

I have all of thursday free. Maybe you can show me your film school? Jaeseop sent, anxiously waiting for a reply. He jumped when his phone beeped at him with a new message.

Fantastic! I'll see you thursday at the university and we can do lunch. My treat this time.

Jaeseop couldn't wait.