Chapter I

Paragons of Good

For most of his life he had to follow in the shadow of his own father’s footsteps. Since he was born, everyone had great expectations of him, simply because his father was one of them most renowned scientists in the wold. And for Kim Joonmyun, he had one of the most stressful lifestyles compared to anyone in the world, all because he had to have had the highest grades in school, he was not allowed a social life because he was too busy studying. Friends were overrated and relationships were unneeded distractions in his life.

Of course this was all the information his father had drilled into his head. It got especially worse when Joonmyun’s mother passed away due to cancer. After that, his father was determined to force Joonmyun to follow in his footsteps without accepting failure.

Therefore, here Joonmyun was twenty years old and sitting in a boring office in his father’s company. Day after day he sat at a computer, looking through complex situation to help his father with his cases, feeling his strength fall away at the degrading routine. But there was no way he could say anything to his father. No, he wouldn’t understand.

And this went on for a very long time, until one day Joonmyun’s life changed completely because of one email from a complete stranger.

It was a normal day, he sat at the computer and ran through the documents his father constantly sent his way. However, when he went into his email, there was something there that immediately caught his attention. Almost immediately he knew that it wasn’t his father, and the subject was blank. When he clicked on it, his eyes bulged in excitement.

‘Do not ask me how I got your email. Trust me, I have spent a lot of time and money trying to figure out who to come to with this. And I picked you, Kim Joonmyun. I saw you once, at a conference with your father, and that’s when I knew it was you. You are the one to help me. I saw it in your mind. I’m a telepath. Believe me or not, I hope you do. If you do, meet me at the address attached to this email. I look forward to meeting you.

  • Lu Han’

Joonmyun was more than surprised. The word ‘telepath’ instantly made him sceptical, but the email seemed more personal than it should be if it was simply spam. Every cell in his body and mind was warning him against going.

It could be a trap, some sort of weird sadistic being wanted him for something. But, Joonmyun couldn’t stop himself.

So now, for some reason he himself could not understand, he was standing outside of a house belonging to someone who he did not know. Someone who had contacted him for a reason beyond him, someone who sounded crazy in that misunderstood email that he had read. Joonmyun took a deep breath and walked forward, his hands fidgeting with the edge of his plain t-shirt as he found himself just outside the door.

Gulping hard and nervously, he brought up his shaking hand and knocked slightly on the door. Maybe he wouldn’t have to go through with this if the other didn’t hear him.

But it was no luck.

The door was suddenly opened and the owner stood in the doorway, a gentle smile on his pink lips and his eyes were large with a softness that forced Joonmyun to calm down almost instantly. Both of them stood in silence for a while, just taking each other in to their mind, before Joonmyun began to wonder, once again, if this was some cruel ploy.

“No it is not.” The stranger suddenly said, smiling as he stepped to the side and motioned for the other to come in. Joonmyun did, but he stopped as soon as the front door shut, wondering why the other had said that. That wasn’t the proper way to start a conversation. It was just confusing.

“It is not what?” Joonmyun asked, tilting his head to the side. Chuckling a little to himself, Lu Han smiled.

“It is not a cruel ploy. I am telling the truth about my telepathy. Come, we can sit, have tea and talk more about this.”

Taking the offer, Joonmyun stayed silent and followed.

Soon enough they were both sitting on opposite couches, Joonmyun taking in his surroundings whilst Lu Han poured the tea that was already set up on the table in the middle. After a few minutes of silence, Lu Han cleared his throat a little to gain the other’s attention again, and he began to explain himself.

“What I said, just before you came in, I was replying to your thoughts.” Lu Han explained, smiling as his two hands cradled his cup of tea. Joonmyun bit his lip, knowing that he was thinking exactly that. But, that had to be just a coincidence, right? “It’s not a coincidence Joonmyun, I can read your mind.” The other’s eyes grew wider. “I mentioned I was a telepath in the email, I can read your mind.”

“…Is that all you can do?” Joonmyun asked, deciding not to question it at the moment, his head was spinning too much from Lu Han replying to his own private thoughts.

With a simple nod, Lu Han took another sip of his tea.

“For now.”

“What does that mean?” Joonmyun wondered, curious as to what the other could do.

“I’ve not had a lot of practice, or well, I’ve had no one to train me. I can’t really expand my power that much, for now, I can read other’s minds from across a room.” Lu Han explained, staring at the other with a small smile. “But that’s the extent of my power at the moment.”

All Joonmyun could do was nod. He didn’t really understand, but then again, it was a big thing to take in. The fact that someone could have an ability like that. But that wasn’t what was on his mind at that exact moment, no, what was lingering on his mind was the question of why he was here. Why was it he, that Lu Han had decided to tell in the entire world? Why was he telling him this?

Across the couch, Lu Han’s eyes sparkled as he intently listened onto what Joonmyun was thinking about him. And it was all relevant questions. However, when Joonmyun’s eyes caught his own, he saw the other catch on to what was happening.

“Are you reading my mind right now?” Joonmyun asked, and Lu Han instantly nodded. “What am I thinking then?”

“You want to know why I asked you, specifically, to come here. And why I’m telling you my most precious secret.” Astonished, all Joonmyun could do was nod at the correct information. “I’ll tell you now.”  Putting his tea down, he moved a little closer to Joonmyun and began to explain. “When I saw you at that conference, I took a look into your mind. I saw how bored you were with that entire lifestyle, how you wanted to get away and explore the world. Not only that, I saw that you wanted to be recognised worldwide for something else rather than your father. Then I saw your potential.”

“What potential?” Joonmyun was overwhelmed by everything that escaped Lu Han’s mouth, but if he was going to keep his integrity, he had to try and focus on other things.

Not the fact that Lu Han was probably a real telepath.

“The potential to do great things, with people like me.”

“…How can you know that?” Joonmyun asked. There was no way that Lu Han could even put Joonmyun in this position. All of his life he had been sat behind a desk.

And now it sounds like Lu Han wanted him to train him.

At least that’s how it came out.

“I do want that Joonmyun. I want you to help me develop my power.” The boy explained, nodding his head along with Joonmyun’s own thoughts. As the thought of ‘how could I possibly do that’ ran through the other’s head, Lu Han answered it quickly. “Because, as I said, you have potential. You’re smart, dedicated and you’ve been waiting for a chance to prove yourself.”

Joonmyun simply stayed quiet. There was no replying at this moment, not now when he had to try and sort through his thoughts.

“This is that chance, Joonmyun.”

Three weeks had passed since he had met Lu Han. And so much had happened in between – good and bad things. Starting with the good, it took Joonmyun a week to accept Lu Han’s offer, but once he did, and they both began discussing what could be done with Lu Han’s power. There has been no progress yet, but that’s the idea behind this.

 As for the bad, his father didn’t take his extracurricular activities to well. Considering Joonmyun was out of the office for a lot longer than he was supposed to be these last two weeks, his father got angrier and angrier at the slowed down progress of his son’s ‘achievements’. However, Joonmyun couldn’t exactly come out with the honest truth as to what he was doing.

So he worked his way around not saying that he was training a telepath to further his powers even though he had nothing in common with him.

His father gave him quite the shouting when he couldn’t come with a ‘good’ reason. Joonmyun, however, for the first time in his life didn’t care that much about what he thought. Because what he was at least trying to do with Lu Han was so much more exciting than anything he had ever done before.

Like now, he was standing in the back room of Lu Han’s house with the owner himself, trying to get him to read his mind from rather far away. Lu Han was outside in the garden, Joonmyun was inside with the door shut.

Lu Han couldn’t hear someone else’s thoughts unless they were in the room.

And although they had done any practice beforehand, Joonmyun wanted to push the other to his limits at the start, just to see what he could do. Besides, he was having a rather fun time. In his thoughts, it was just constant insults towards the owner of the house, making himself laugh as he stood for minutes on end. After around ten minutes, the door swung open and Lu Han sighed.

“Did you get anything?”

“Nothing.” Lu Han said, biting his lip irritably. It was incredibly annoying. Chuckling, Joonmyun moved over and put his hand on the other’s shoulder, squeezing it for comfort.

“You’ll get it, come on, I have something I want to show you.”

They got to the living room and Joonmyun quickly took out his work laptop from his bag before placing it on the table and starting it up. Lu Han just smiled as he let the boy do what he wanted as he quietly read his thoughts. Joonmyun wasn’t really thinking of what he wanted to show him, just that he was pretty damn excited about it.

Minutes passed and Joonmyun looked up at his new friend and smiled, Lu Han could already tell that Joonmyun had done something a little weird for him.

“What is it Joon?”

“Well… I may have… hacked into my father’s program and created something new entirely which may be of interest to you.” Joonmyun also couldn’t believe that he had basically betrayed his father’s trust, but it was way too good to pass up. As he passed his laptop to Lu Han, he watched for the other’s reaction.

It took only a few seconds for Lu Han to realise what it was.

“…How is this even possible?” He asked, staring over at Joonmyun who looked way too damn proud at his ‘own’ invention. Joonmyun rushed over and took the laptop back, explaining.

“It’s a little complicated but, let’s just say that it’s basically a modified version of the top tracking program in the world.”

Lu Han’s eyes were wide in excitement.

“Meaning that… you could find others.”

“Yes.”

“Other’s like me?”

“Yes.”

“Other’s that have powers?”

“Yes.”

“And… you’d train them to?”

Joonmyun stopped as he said that. For some reason, Lu Han had this manic idea that Joonmyun was the right person and was qualified to teach someone with special powers on how to develop them. Even though he didn’t have any himself. So, it made no sense whatsoever to Joonmyun.

But… the concept was fun. And he’d love to meet others. So as Lu Han waited for an answer, Joonmyun nodded.

And Lu Han rushed into a large hug.

“Let’s do it! Let’s find someone else, right now!” Lu Han was way too damn excited for his own good. But the other had to admit that he was incredibly excited to.

Moving to his laptop, he typed in a few keywords and suddenly the computer beeped loudly.

“Found someone!”

Joonmyun actually couldn’t believe it worked, and so quickly as well. That definitely proved that it was a hell of a tracking program. Instantly removing a notebook from his bag, he jotted down the details on the LED screen and turned over to Lu Han who could barely stand still on his spot as he waited to learn about the new person like him.

“His name is Huang Zitao. Lives in China.”

There was a moment of silence before Lu Han grabbed Joonmyun’s shoulders and grinned.

“Well what are we waiting for? Let’s go get him!”


A/N: I hope you've enjoyed this little prologue ^^