Living at the End - Kyungsoo

The Tragedy of Enemies

The following work is a transcription of a cellphone video found abandoned on the beach. The video never focused on the speaker(s) and sometimes their words overlapped making their message unclear. Side comments are written in [brackets]. They may be from the speaker himself or another person nearby. If you stumble upon this and know exactly what they mean - do something. We want our heroes back in this world.

If you are listening to this, it was a big mistake. An enormous ing mistake. We are only college students, well not only, but I think you get that drift. I saw it all play out, yet in the end... in' plot twist y'know?

So I need your help. I really, really need your help. Go to his studio and get the keys - you know what keys I'm talking about, but be quick! We are short on time and lastly, do not be suspicious. I know you're thinking something like "how the hell am I not supposed to look suspicious!? I am literally walking into unknown territory and taking things," but please. Go in, grab them, and get out. It doesn't matter where you put them for now, just hide them so they won't be able to find them.

The most important thing: Be prepared because your life is about to change.

[ you (su)'ho'(e), stop ing reaching over. It's my turn to speak.] Anyway, My name is Do, Kyungsoo and I was abducted from my universe.

Before you start thinking that I have more than one loose screw in my head, if our plan actually worked and this phone ended up at home... You may know me better as Aftershock. I know, I know - I am a "supervillain" and "destroyed" some parts of the world, but trust me. I am different and I need to be back. In other words, whoever created the multiverse theory or whatever, they are so right and I hate it. I am stuck in a universe where 1+1=2, the gravitational field strength is weaker than my own farts, and nobody is super. Nobody except me... and the rest of my villainry team. That fact may make it a million times harder for you to want to help us, but trust us - we want to help. [For once in my life, hell yeah. / Please shush, I am trying to speak.]

You're probably wondering how we all got here if no one publicly knows about alternate universes. To answer that, it's easier just to start from the beginning.


I guess it started the day after the first day of second semester. They both transferred to Superhuman Studies as their major cause if you're going to be undercover, why not learn about yourself? Makes me think about all the other students... if they were superhuman too.

[Alright, alright! OKAY - I will get back to the story].

He was a dinky freshman still adjusting to college life, the other "he" was also a dinky freshman still adjusting to college life, and dinky freshman just attract each other like magnets. Haha, opposites do attract. [(to someone present at recording time) I am repelled by you so hard right now, so will you just- thank you.]

Well, one of the transfers named Chanyeol walked into the class all jittery and moody. Blame it on testosterone, the gloomy weather, his badly dyed hair - I don't care. He anxiously walked in like a socially inept five-year old in the body of a giant. I should mention that I knew Chanyeol already, not his secret identity, but we were on the same super team, so yeah I technically knew him. I attribute the fact that I didn't recognise him to his odd behaviour. He was normally still awkward, yes, but exuded confidence in all his lanky "being." On that day, he behaved like he was not even there.

Most of the class knew each other, more or less, because we spent the entire first semester together and because I knew them, I could feel the spite they had for Chanyeol because he was able to skip the dreadful class of "Introduction to Supers: A look into the history of" who the cares. I, being ultra sensitive to his awkwardness and familiarity, approached him with less spite.

"Hey!" I called when he started to show his difficulty with picking a seat. "You are...?"

A hint of recognition showed on his face. "Chanyeol." He replied as he walked in my direction.

As I looked into his eyes and heard his voice, that's when it clicked. [I am not going to say "No homo." You never know what might've happened if he didn't get with Hyun.] That was the moment I connected Chanyeol to Scorch, the super villain that I knew so well. If he recognised me too, I have no idea. He can be dense, but he also is incredibly smart. To keep the conversation going before the professor walked in, I asked why he chose to change his major to one so "weird." His reason proved to be believable. He was a novelist and he was not one of the first to get a deeper look at the functions of a super.

Then the professor walked in followed by another transfer. In contrast to Chanyeol, he seemed too confident and already got acquainted with the professor. "Good Morning, Class." The professor said while quickly setting up her computer. She turned to the transfer and introduced him. "This is Byun, Baekhyun. One of the two transfer students we are going to meet today. The other is..." She seemed to glance out the door before she glanced around the room as if she expected Chanyeol to be late. "Ah! There he is." She pointed at Chanyeol. "Park, Chanyeol." She motioned for Baekhyun to find a seat. "Because this is a relatively small class, I expect you to treat each other well."

Typical of her - the great Professor Amber Liu, awarded for her teaching skills for 7 consecutive years. Whatever.

Professor Liu stepped forward, "Welcome to 'Generations of Supers' where we will examine the different 'eras' of super humans." She pressed the projector clicker for her presentation. "As most of you probably know, there are two main eras - the Marvel and the Detective. Within each of the eras, there are sub-eras that overlap in a confusing way." She clicked next. "For example, the Marvel era has the Avengers, the Big, the Fantastic, the Guardians, Midnight, and the X-men as sub-'eras.' The Detective era has four subcategories that branch off into more: the Justice, Legion, Family and Titan. We will go more in-depth later." She placed her clicker down on her desk. "Another aspect of this course is looking at the underdogs, the superhumans who fail to make it to the big league or just do not want to have a life of fighting, and lastly, looking at modern heroes and villains alike. Who can tell me some popular supers from recent times?"

Names were shouted here and there. "B.A.P." for "best. absolute. perfect." Incredibly cocky, but they win their fights, so I accept it. "BTS," a recent break-out group that hovers between heroics and villainous activity. "SNSD" for a team that is amongst a few other groups who are being considered for being named as a sub-era. Nobody was calling out any villains cause apparently villains are not super (which is totally a lie), so I shouted "XK" for "ex-Kingz" a.k.a. the best villain group of the century since it is mine. Everyone stopped and looked at me, including Chanyeol. "I saw them on the news recently... they are some sadistic people." I was not lying. We are- or were.

"Great job, Kyungsoo." Professor Liu jumped in. "Many of us forget that the villains are supers too. 'Super' does not refer to how good they are, but the powers they have."

I still felt Chanyeol's eyes on me, so I turned around. Sure enough, he was looking and his face was clear with recognition. We both smiled before looking back at Baekhyun. I don't know why we did it, or how it ended up being simultaneous, but we looked, he smiled a really cute smile, and we casually turned back to the lesson.

"It is important to note that with developing technology, the ability to keep secrets secret is harder and the boundary between normal and super is thinner." Professor Liu continued. "With this clicker," She picked up her clicker. "I controlled the presentation, yes?" A few yes' were heard from the class. "Did you know that I also hacked into each one of your cellphones and laptops?" She opened the battery slot on the clicker and took out a small SD card. "In this card, I have everything about you that was available on your devices. If you are a super, I could know in a second. In fact, there probably is a super in this class." The class broke out into whispers. Professor Liu took the SD card and destroyed it. "This type of technology is dangerous, but it is becoming a reality."

It dawned on me that if Professor Liu kept that card or looked at it, Chanyeol and I would've been jailed or killed within minutes.

"That brings us to our last course aim. Ethics with supers because as generations pass, life changes. Rules change. People in charge think supers should have different rules concerning privacy and secrecy - whether it be to log your identity with the government like it was in the past or something else that I do not know." The bell signalling the end of the class rang. "We will continue this discussion tomorrow."

Baekhyun and his smile appeared in our vision again. “Hi, My name is Baekhyun if you forgot and I was wondering if I could hang out with you guys?” He seemed nervous, cute. “Because I’m a transfer too and you seem nice.”

Now that was ironic. Me, super villain, nice? I guess it reflects my true mushy heart.

“Of course! My name is Kyungsoo. It’s great that you approaches us!” After I said that, I realised why he thought I was nice. We quickly arranged to go to the commons to chill, so we picked our bags up and headed to leave.

“Baekyun.” Professor Liu called. “May I speak with you for a second?”

Baekhyun nodded and told us he’d meet us at the commons soon. I wanted to stay and eavesdrop (unashamedly), but Chanyeol was too caught up in my identity. “Who knew that the hard-hitting Aftershock was such a sweetheart?” Chanyeol laughed like the hyena he was while unconsciously fiddling with a vial full of sand that hung on a chain.

I recognised it. It was a present from an old team member who left. Chanyeol got the vial, I got a glass earring. Others got other stuff. Surprisingly, my glass earring is still 100% intact which shows how great I am in combat.

“Wait, where’s Baekhyun?” Chanyeol asked. Was he even listening to what I was saying? This is the kind of that I have to deal with. “Let’s go.” I assumed we were headed towards the commons since that is where we were supposed to meet Baekhyun, but Chanyeol immediately turned around. “I want to eavesdrop.”

Like I said. This .

We crept up to the class hall and caught the end of Baekhyun’s sentence. “-postpone for sometime.” They were literally a couple steps away from the door.

“No,” said Professor Liu. “You are not ready and the Society is coming for you.”

Chanyeol and I exchanged glances. We had no idea what she was talking about.

“These are my prime years.” Baekhyun replied. “It’s my only time to-"

“What if they are your last?” Professor Liu said. “What are you going to do then?”

“At least they would be free.” Baekhyun mumbled. “Please.”

“I cannot, Baekhyun. You know that.”

“Even though I am your student, I can fight you.” The smiling boy’s voice turned deadly. I was about to whisper to Chanyeol, but before I could even open my mouth he knocked on the door. I quickly stood up and acted natural.

Professor Liu opened the door, “This isn’t a good time.”

Chanyeol went to action. “I’m sorry, it’s just that the commons was pretty busy, so we wanted to let Baekhyun know we are headed to the cafeteria instead.”

“Actually,” Professor Liu looked back at Baekhyun. “Just take him. I have another meeting to get to as well.”

The tension in the air did not leave until the two lost sight of each other. Baekhyun sighed, “So are we going to the cafeteria or not?”

“First off” Chanyeol started, “What’s the Society?” Typical Chanyeol or at least typical Scorch.

Baekhyun scanned us, as if he was calculating how much of their conversation we heard. “I-it’s nothing.” He forcibly grinned. “Just some stupid program that some of my professors want me to join. Let’s go.” Baekhyun made it clear that it was the end of that conversation. I respect that. Baekhyun and Chanyeol hit off like a home run and I was stuck third-wheeling in the back, walking alone like the ing loner I apparently am.

 

There was an explosion. I didn’t see it, but I felt the vibrations from the Earth run through my bones and the sound of it made my heart-beat rise. The school’s alarm went of and the automated voice echoed through the halls. “We are under attack. This is not a drill. Avoid the commons and surrounding buildings.” Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and I made momentary eye-contact then took off running.

“Guys” Baekhyun called as he slowed down. “I have a roommate who is sick. I’m going to make sure he is okay.” Without a pause, he was off running and called out a lame “Stay safe!”

 

Now that Chanyeol and I were alone, the sadists in us came out.

Looking back on it now... I only wish we called Baekhyun back and resisted the villainous side of me. Instead, I went to wreak havoc.