i.

five sunsets.

Yoongi remembers their first meeting fondly, the episode mostly consisting of the publications team huddling in the meeting room, their superior, Namjoon tapping the table with his prized fountain pen impatiently ( to find it ruined after the session ), and a boy stumbling into the room five minutes late. An hour’s worth of lectures about punctuality and work ethics ensues before the introductions start, and Yoongi tunes out, uninterested in Namjoon’s rambles. He goes on without pausing to breathe, and Yoongi’s dull eyes flicker upwards for a second to meet Jimin’s god-damn-stop-him expression with his slightly twitching eyelids. And its only when Jimin jerks his head lightly in the newcomer’s direction that Yoongi glances at the new boy – and he’s caught, because he’s smiling.

With his brown hair falling lightly over his eyes, the newcomer smiles sheepishly whilst bowing lightly at the appropriate times, which would have been worthy of appraisal if Namjoon wasn’t busy in his sputtering rap.

And everything’s most fascinating for two reasons – Firstly, the boy doesn’t even flinch and continues to watch Namjoon ramble on with an apologetic look plastered across his face and secondly, Yoongi never thought it was possible for someone to smile bright enough for him to get a migraine on a Monday morning, or any morning for that matter.

At the fortieth minute ( Jimin set his timer on ), Namjoon pushes himself out of his seat and stomps out of the room, forgetting his entire introduction set-up. The newcomer takes a step back and bows a little more than usual as Namjoon passes by with the sound of coins tingling from his left pocket. And Yoongi’s eyes linger on the newcomer’s face until he hears Jimin’s tenth cry for attention. He mouths a silent apology before getting up and alas, earns a jab on his side when he approaches the younger boy. They’re almost reaching their own cubicles when Jimin stops in his tracks and turns back.

“Seems like everyone forgot about the newcomer,” Yoongi says before tracing two steps back to stand next to Jimin.

“He looks so lost.”

“None of my business, since the entire introduction portion was ruined by his coming late and,” Yoongi pats Jimin’s shoulder lightly, “and we’ve got reports to rush, not forgetting the fact that a certain young kid doesn’t know how to write his own essays. I’ve got double the work, can’t play with you kid. Catch you later.”

Jimin scowls as Yoongi saunters off in the opposite direction, but approaches the newcomer nonetheless. As Jimin’s high-pitched voice rings out in contrast to the sound of swift fingers against worn-out keyboards and the photocopier machine, Yoongi glances backwards for a second and catches a glimpse of yet another wide grin.

 

 

Its been a week since Hoseok came, and Yoongi hasn’t gotten the chance to talk to him. That goes without saying that the only reason why he knows his name is Jimin being a blabbermouth, speaking incoherently about how bright and genuine the newcomer was. Tapping his pen against his forehead lightly as he squints at the document on the table with his glasses at the edge of his nose, tilting precariously. Sighing, he drops the pen before getting up, pushing his glasses back up before making his way towards the photocopier machine with the drafts for his fifth assignment and Jimin’s long overdue fourth. Scowling at Jimin who flashes him a cheeky grin while sprawled over the table with his phone leaning against the board, Yoongi doesn’t notice that someone’s coming his way.

And of course he only realizes that when they bump into each other and he sees a stack of papers fluttering in a miserable mess on the ground. He gets confused for a moment because his stack is intact in his arms, but the boy standing in front of him lets out a soft groan.

“I just organized those, it’s going to take awhile I guess.”

“I-I’m so sorry,” Yoongi starts before glancing up to meet Hoseok’s slight frown doubled up with a little pout, “really.”

“It’s alright, its my last assignment for today anyway,” He flashes a bright smile again and Yoongi feels like his eyes are burning, “or not.”

Yoongi can only chuckle lightly at the boy standing in front of him with the papers around them, as he watches him blink in the distance, his hands raised with his fingers curled in an attempt to keep track of his assignments, “I’ll help you later, after I get these printed.”

And just like that, Hoseok spends his first experience working overtime in the quiet office with Yoongi, seated in his chair with a gentle smile plastered across his face. They work separately in silence, but the sound of thin fingers against crisp paper keeps them warm and sober through the night, and Yoongi realizes that he hasn’t drunk a sip of his black coffee sitting in the corner of the table when he finishes stapling the last contract at 4AM. As he stands up with the papers organized and ready for submission in his hands, Yoongi flinches at the manner in which Hoseok’s grinning at him.

“Please don’t tell me you’ve been grinning like that for the past five minutes.” Yoongi says as he places the stack of papers on his colleague’s table.

“Ten actually, considering I finished my half quicker than you did. Not bad for a little week-old kid, eh?” He jerks his head forward in a taunting and playful manner, his eyes crinkling at its ends.

“Good lord.”

“Did it bother you?”

“Not exactly, no.” Yoongi settles on his own chair, less than half a metre from Hoseok. Yoongi’s glad that his mental word filter is working perfectly tonight, and they huddle in the quiet office till 5AM with their table lamps the only source of light in the chilly office before leaving the building, the distance between them both a little smaller.