final

Making things right
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Italics is english.

Hope I can get some good comments. ^^

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The doctor went to the little girl sitting on her examination table. She checked the bandage wrapped around her head and smiled at the girl, “is it uncomfortable in any way?” the girl shook her head, “You don’t have to keep it in. I need to know the whole truth to make sure you're alright.”

The girl thought for a moment then looked at the beautiful doctor, “it’s itchy.”

The doctor chuckled, “unfortunately I can’t do much for that. I promise it will stop itching after a day. But don’t touch it or scratch it okay?” the girl nodded.

“Dr Jung, what about her school?” the girl’s mother asked.

The affable doctor smiled to quell the parents’ worries, “she can start right away. I’ll write a note so she is excused from sports or physical activities. The sprain in her wrist shouldn’t worsen.” She went back to her table while the nurse took the girl for an MRI, “It doesn’t look like there was much damage, but I want to make sure of that. She was bleeding a lot when she was brought in.” she gave them a prescription, “painkillers, just in case.”

The beautiful doctor excused herself and went on her rounds. She entered the paediatric general ward and was joined by her regular nurse.

“Why did you page me suddenly Su? You know my shift is almost over.” She told the nurse named Junsu.

Junsu looked around the ward. It was 8 in the night and the bedtime for the children there. Knowing that the children were asleep, she turned to the doctor and her best friend, “It’s a critical case Jaejoong, one that needs the head of paediatrics. I called the chief and he’s on his way but he said that you should take the lead. The patient is not in a good condition.”  

The ethereal doctor’s face crumpled in distaste. Dr Jung Jaejoong, knows what she’ll see. For the secrecy and urgency of her friend and the presence of the chief of surgery, it is not as simple as a medical case.

Junsu drew the curtain slowly to reveal a boy, not older than 8 or 9 years sleeping under the covers. Jaejoong’s colleague Donghae watched over him.

“What’s the status?” Jaejoong asked while taking the file from Donghae.

“Kim Jongin, 9 years old. Spiral arm fracture and few broken ribs. Lots of bruises too. He was brought here by his aunt when he saw what her sister was doing to the child.” Donghae informed.

“I kept the mother and father waiting at the reception with some excuse. They’re not even remorseful with their crocodile tears. The aunt is at the chief’s office, talking to the cops. She’s willing to turn her own sister in.” Junsu continued.

“Good.” Jaejoong handed the file back, “make sure Jongin is absolutely well-taken care off. Don’t let anybody near him without a cop supervising or his aunt nearby. Tell the cops, I’m willing to give a medical report if required.” She took her coat off revealing the slight distended belly otherwise covered by her baggy coat. “I’m going home. Don’t hesitate to call me if something comes up with Jongin.”

“Are you sure? You shouldn’t be overworking during the pregnancy.” Donghae said almostly chastising in tone.

“Gosh! You sound like my husband.” Jaejoong grumbled. “I’m fine and it’s 4 months along. I can work all the way till the delivery room.” So saying Jaejoong stomped off like a diva.

Junsu followed her with worried steps. “Jae, are you okay? I mean this child abuse case and…..you….” Junsu flinched when Jaejoong suddenly halted.

Jaejoong’s back still faced her. “I was strong enough to get out of it Su and still am to withstand it. Jongin’s aunt saved him and I can only hope he’ll get past this trauma. But for his criminals, I have no mercy.”

Junsu sighed. She shouldn’t have doubted Jaejoong regarding her past. She has known her for 12 years and knows she has a strong will. Junsu walked to her and put her hand on Jaejoong’s shoulder. That gesture said everything words didn’t. They silently walked to the lockers so they can return home to their husbands.

~~~

A tall man entered the spacious apartment. He contemplated turning on the lights but thought better off it. Certain moody people are in this house and you shouldn’t push their buttons.

So he used his familiarity of staying there for years as he navigated through the living room and put what looked like drawing utensils with his briefcase on the couch before going up the short flight of stairs in the duplex. He was about to walk to the master bedroom, but retraces his steps backwards when he noticed the lights in the work-in-progress room. He opened the slightly ajar door and pretended to have a heart attack.

“Hi Yunnie! I went shopping on the way back.” Jaejoong pointed at the new drapes excitedly to her husband Yunnie, more commonly known as Jung Yunho.

“that….that’s Hello Kitty….” He made a face and leaned on the door as the earth beneath him is shaking.

Jaejoong pouted, “you want that stupid deer.”

“Bambi is not stupid. She is-”

“Bambi is a boy.”

“Not to me!”

“Hello Kitty stays.”

“but we have a boy.”

“oh so now you know the gender of your ‘kid’.”

“you're such a bully when you're pregnant!”

Jaejoong’s eyebrow touched the hairline of her bangs, “it’s my first child. Where do you get a reference?”

Yunho groaned and made some weird sound signalling he was done with this topic. “why are you doing putting up drapes? You're supposed to stay in bed and let me do the decoration of the room.” His arms were crossed and his foot tapped on the carpeted floor.

“because Mr Architect is never home on time I have to do things myself.” Jaejoong said nonchalantly.

“I’d take a holiday if Mrs Doctor would stay at home instead of leaving me alone.” Yunho retorted.

“but I get so bored sitting at home.” Jaejoong whined.

“my point exactly.” Yunho looked at the shopping bags lying on the floor, “want to continue together?”

“I got elephant drapes too.” Jaejoong said cutely.

“elephants are perfect.”

~~~

It was late in the night but neither was sleepy. They remained in their bed, Yunho spooning his wife and they watched some late-night dramas on their bedroom TV.

Yunho could tell Jaejoong’s attention wasn’t on the television with the way she kept fiddling with his fingers. According to Jaejoong, Yunho has the most beautiful hands- all lean and long- because they weren’t chubby and small like hers. Even then, Yunho’s hands become a plaything when she wants to distract herself from something unpleasant. Yunho leaned to the side and picked up the remote to lower the TV volume.

“I can’t hear.” Jaejoong grumbled.

“what’s bothering you Boo?” Yunho asked, his concern reflected in his eyes.

Jaejoong sighed, “a boy came today. He was abused by his parents.”

“Oh Jae!” Yunho put her head under his chin and hugged her tight. That was enough information to know what happened and what’s going on in Jaejoong’s mind.

Jaejoong didn’t say anything after that. Just soaking in the comfort of the man she loves the most, the man who gave her so much happiness and took away the pain of her past.

To Jaejoong, Yunho was her heaven.

     Yunho decided to break the silence after staying like that for 15 minutes, “I don’t want you to take up such a stressful task when you're supposed to be pampered.”

“But Yunho…..”

“let me finish.” Yunho said with a look that made Jaejoong effectively shut up every time. “but I also know that boy needs someone like you. So if you promise to take up fewer cases and focus on him than I’ll let you work.”

“and you?” Jaejoong asked already showing she agrees.

“I’ll cut back too. I’ll drive you around. No more taxis. I want you under my nose if you're not in a hospital.” Yunho wasn’t sure if Jaejoong understood the gravity of the order with the way she was poking his nose.

“I’m under your nose now.” She said like a child who discovered the presents under the Christmas tree on a 25th December morning.

“brat. Go to sleep now.” Yunho put Jaejoong on her back and gave his arm for a pillow. He her pregnant stomach the way she likes.

Before long, Jaejoong was fast asleep and Yunho gazed at her peaceful visage. He always felt that whatever God was there had blessed him abundantly with Jaejoong. He never even thought that he would receive the amount of love that Jaejoong showered on him.

The Yunho who only knew love from the lack of love he received for the majority of his life, never even thought he’d be so fortunate. He had a brief time with his adoring grandparents, but they had lived their time and it was after that he found Jaejoong.

Who would’ve thought that going to buy a notebook at the university’s nearby book store would lead to an encounter with the gorgeous med student. Their relationship blossomed and more so when their best friends got together because of them. The first anniversary they spent together, Yunho confessed about his miserable past and that encourage Jaejoong to share hers too. They have had a strong bond ever since, trying to give each other what was denied to them in the past and ten times more at that.

~~~

Yunho stepped out of the elevator on the 5th floor where his architectural firm was. He was greeted by the receptionist before his assistant Taemin came to him with coffee.

“Sir, your friend is her here to see you.” Taemin informed.

“who….Yoochun?” Taemin nods. “Okay. Can you get me the accounts for the Song account.” Yunho takes the coffee gratefully as he walks to his office. His assistant goes in the opposite direction where the accounts department was.

Yunho entered his office and found his friend sitting on the client’s chairs. “Hey! Aren’t you supposed to be in your restaurant?” Yunho was almost chastising.

“I have people to do that.” Yoochun waved it off. “I was nearby so I dropped in. Haven’t heard from you since forever.” Yunho’s eyebrow quirked as if questioning that. Yoochun admitted defeat. “Yeah okay. Su works with your wife and we saw each other last week, but I get bored. Everyone is busy with their work and I have such reliable people that I don’t have to do anything.” Yoochun was pretty much complaining about his fancy life.

“then drop in tonight. I’m going to pick up Jae, I’ll get Junsu too.” Yunho turned his attention to his work after saying that.

“So no 2U time~?” Yoochun had a cute pout and fluttering eyelashes. His hands were intertwined and under his chin in a show of cuteness.

“I’m not your wife to try that with me.” Yunho deadpanned.

“you're no fun.”

Just then the door opened and Taemin came in the requested file. “I’m sorry to interrupt but Kangin-ssi has asked for you. There’s a client.”

Yunho frowned. Why would he be needed? Yunho only did the design. Dealing with the clients was always Kangin’s job. It has been that way since the college mates decided to open their own firm together. Yunho did the only thing he liked while Kangin used his people skills to handle clients. Why would he ask to accompany him then?

“I guess, I’ll see you in the evening then.” Yoochun bid him goodbye and left. Yunho waited for a few minutes before finally following Taemin to Kangin’s office.

He saw Kangin sitting outside in the lounge where he usually entertained clienteles. There were two more people but he could only see their backs at the moment.

“Ah Yunho! Come here.” Kangin patted the seat next to him. Yunho quietly went over and while he was taking a seat, Kangin whispered an explanation, “sorry for calling you but these people specially requested for you. I told them that you couldn’t come but they insisted.”

Yunho pat Kangin’s thigh to tell it was okay. He did a short bow while seated to greet the young man and woman in front of him. “Nice to meet you. I’m Jung Yunho.”

The two looked up after bowing as well. Yunho finally got a good look at their faces. The male looked quite young and nervous for some reason. The female, oddly bore a striking familiarity with someone Yunho knew but couldn’t place.

“H-Hello. I’m J- I’m Yonghwa and this is my sister Jessica.” The male spoke.

The girl smiled and pointed at herself, “Me…Jessica” She said in broken Hangeul. She pointed at Yonghwa. “Sister.”

“It’s brother.” Yonghwa corrected her and she bit her bottom lip at the mistake. Yonghwa chuckled and turned to the architects before him, “sorry for her broken Hangeul. She’s lived mostly in the States and I lived in Japan until recently.”

“but you speak quite fluently.” Kangin remarked.

“my parents are both from Seoul. My dad’s business is based in japan. So…” Yonghwa looked at Jessica. He was beyond nervous and she was at a loss too.

If Yunho found it weird that these two siblings are Korean but lived in Japan and America separately, he didn’t say. He looked at Jessica with a comforting smile. “why did you ask for me specifically?”

Jessica smiled at his fluent English. She definitely being the bolder of the two, found that she can overcome the language barrier. “we just took over our parents’ business. We’re thinking of opening a new mall in Seoul and want you to be the chief architect.” She said confidently.

“You could’ve just spoken to my partner then.” Yunho remarked. He now suspected that they have some business with him and hence are so fidgety by his presence.

Yonghwa and Jessica shared a glance and then visibly agreed on something silently. Yonghwa turned to Yunho. “You see, we….”

~~~

“are you sore anywhere?” Jaejoong asked Jongin.

The boy, instead of answering looked around. He saw the policeman outside his private ward and then looked at Jaejoong, “where is Umma and Appa?”

“at your home, I believe.” Jaejoong sighed when Jongin looked down. “sweetie, I’m sorry but we can’t let them near you. You're not safe with them. Your aunt will be-”

“You're wrong!” Jongin shrieked, “Umma and Appa are not bad people.” His tears began and flowed endlessly, “they do bad things but Umma and Appa are not bad. They won’t hurt me.”

Jaejoong sat beside him and combed her fingers through her hair. “Jonginnie, I know how feel, trust me. You want to think that this is temporary, a phase and your parents will one day come and tell you how much they love you.” Jongin looked at the older woman who pinpointed his thoughts, “I assure you, there is a chance it may happen. But we don’t know when. What is certain that you or someone very close to you could suffer. Any proclamations of love and forgiveness would be too late. You need to become stronger and save yourself. You deserve better, what your aunt is willing to give. Your parents may come around, but they have to learn a lesson for that. Like they say, you never know what you had until it’s gone.”

Jongin looked at her sincere face. Her words were laced with so much emotion, as if it was from experience.

Jongin doesn’t know how true that is.

Jaejoong had suffered since she was 4 till she was 15. Her mother died giving birth to her and father remarried a year later. All was good till there was a second child. Jaejoong became secondary to Junho. When she was 6, the beatings and the torture started. Her father turned a blind eye to Jaejoong and her step-mother made sure that Jaejoong was reduced to a servant. It was as if the house had only one child and that was Junho. Hers was a life of Cinderella but more laughable. There was no fairy godmother and her prince charming was not coming till another 15 years. There were no glass shoes but there was glass and shoes, ones she got in beatings.

To stave off some abuse, she spent most of her time at her neighbour’s house. The Kims were a nice couple and their daughter was Jaejoong’s best friend. In one way, they were more of a family to Jaejoong. They didn’t speak about her abuse though they knew. Just gently patched her up and sent her to play with Junsu.

Jaejoong bore everything thinking her day will come. She will do something noteworthy and the people who saw her as dirt would be at her feet. However, before that day would come, an event changed her.

Junho did something unthinkable. He forced himself on Junsu and tried to her. he was only 13 and they were 15. Yet he overpowered Junsu. Jaejoong got this unfathomable strength from her will to protect her best friend and sister. She doesn’t know how she pulled him away and threw him across the room. Threatening him with scissors, Jaejoong took Junsu’s hand and ran off to a police station.

The cops first thought Junsu brought Jaejoong seein

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter