Final

Papa, Happy Birthday!

1w7dWbt.jpg

 

You rubbed your eyes, letting out a groan as you woke up from the loud notifications from your phone. Who the hell was messaging you this early in the morning?

date: 06.05.2015, received 08:13

baekhyunnie^^: can u PLEASE COME OVER NOW

baekhyunnie^^: AND I MEAN NOW

Barely a few seconds after reading and comprehending the messages, your phone rang immediately after, and obviously knowing who it is from, you picked it up, feeling very irritated.

"Please come over now, I need help. I really need it, I don't know what to do---" and his words were cut off by a loud, wailing sound in the background. "URGH GOD DAMN IT. STOP. CRYING." Baekhyun's very loud voice called out, also successfully waking you up fully. The wailing in the background only got louder and lengthier.

"Right. Give me fifteen minutes, I'll be there. And also, please, don't curse infront of him?" you quietly pleaded with Baekhyun before ending the call, getting up almost immediately to go for a quick shower. You're thankful that his apartment is only a block away; you didn't bother dressing up.

What greeted you was the sight of Baekhyun holding a toy shaker, shaking it to produce the 'sss' sound, trying to appease the baby but the wailing never got better

"STOP CRYING. WHY WOULDN'T YOU STOP CRYING? What the fuc--"

"Baekhyun, please. He's only 2. Don't be rude," you sighed as you walked into the apartment, avoiding the mess of toys that are scattered on the floor.

"He won't stop crying no matter what I do and I've been trying to feed him, change his diapers and play with him for the past half an hour! What am I supposed to do?!" Baekhyun groaned in frustration as he ran his fingers through his brown locks.

Ignoring his rants, you walked over to the crying baby sat on the floor, cleaning his drool and tears with your hands before calmly pulling him up to carry him in your arms.

"Jaehyun-ah, it's okay, it's okay. Hush now, I'm here." you coaxed Jaehyun as you rocked him in your arms, trying to maintain eye contact with the pair of teary, black round orbs.

"Huu, huu. Ma..ma." Jaehyun sniffed as he buried his head in your shoulders, taking in the familiar scent of your clothes; and you, in general. His crying gradually stopped, and you finally looked at Baekhyun, his hard gaze finally softening, but his shoulders still tense from being very frustrated with the baby.

His child.

"Wasn't so difficult now, was it, Mr Byun?" you said cockily as you smirked at Baekhyun as you continued patting Jaehyun on his back lightly, his light breathing sounds telling you that he fell asleep.

"Little guy here been crying so much till he's tired.. Help me put him to bed will you?" you softly said to Baekhyun, eyeing him as he rolled his eyes, walking to the room where the baby crib was.

After tucking Jaehyun into his crib, both you and Baekhyun left the room, though the latter lingered around for a moment, looking at his child with a silent, loving look.

"God bless, that was such a nuisance." Baekhyun cried in exasperation as he plonked onto his leather sofa.

"Yeah, says the smart one that knocked a girl up before he debuted, and left the job of being a stand-in mother to me. Nice." you commented, nodding your head as you took a seat beside him.

"Yah, that was-- Urgh. I have needs too, okay? And I was about to live with like 11 other guys for the rest of my life! And I thought she took birth control!" Baekhyun said, his eyes closed as he grimaced about the past.

"Yeah, but do you regret doing that, after seeing Jaehyun?" you started, looking at Baekhyun with a hopeful look, hoping to get a positive response.

"Yes. Absolutely. He's a disaster. I should have given that girl money to raise him alone. God, I would be so much more in peace now with much much more freedom!" Baekhyun brightened up at his last sentence, but obviously retained his over-enthusiasm after 'returning to reality'.

You pinched his thigh harshly.

"Ow! What was that for? It hurts! I'm gonna get a blueblack on my thigh now..." he silently weeped, pouting as he rubbed the red spot on his thigh.

"I don't know how you are able to say that, Baek. Jaehyun's your kid, your son, even though you don't know who his mother is-"

"I think I do. I think I saw her in that club I went with some of my friends last week and she looked hot but she doesn't seem to remember me." Baekhyun said, his eyes telling the truth.

"Oh okay. Continuing, your SON doesn't know who his mother is. He practically grew up without a mother. And a father, to be honest. And it's technically true, seeing how you only come back to this apartment like what, twice a year ever since he was left in front of your house?" you turned to face Baekhyun, your legs crossed on the sofa as you looked at him. He had his head down, and he was playing with his fingers.

"Baek, you don't know how he feels. Jaehyun.. has no one close to him. He can't even trust people easily, he gets scared easily when he's out in public too. He can't get close to strangers. He's curious, but he's scared. And what do you know? Nothing. You just screamed and screamed at him." you let out a loud sigh.

Baekhyun had stopped playing with his fingers, his gaze fixed on the wooden floor.

"Jaehyun needs more love, Baek. He needs to feel the love from you, too. I can't always be here, showering love for him by myself, can I? Trust and love goes two ways. You need to give him attention, love and care too. Then Jaehyun will warm up to you, knowing that you mean no harm. Afterall, he's just a baby.. He's just two years old, Baek." you said softly, looking at the whole of Baekhyun.

Sighing yet again, you let your hands drop on Baekhyun's back. "I'm not scolding you, I'm just letting you know.. So stop looking like a scolded puppy."

Patting his back, you grinned as you said, "Or do you want me to treat you like one? Baekgu-ya~" you cooed cutely as you moved your head closer to his.

Surely enough, he turned his head back up to face yours - only for you to spot his eyes a little red, and teary.

"I understand. I'll..try my best. No promises, though." Baekhyun croaked out, his eyes automatically looking away almost immediately.

"Great! Now, can I have breakfast? I'm hungry. And I want eggs. Your scrambled eggs." you cutely said, lying backwards as you rubbed your tummy to show Baekhyun.

"Yes yes, my lady. Scrambled eggs coming up!" Baekhyun said, smiling, being a little happier, lifting the gloomy atmosphere of the house.


While eating your delicious, fluffy scrambled eggs cooked by Baekhyun (you wondered how he did it- he wouldn't show you no matter how much you asked), you glanced around his house briefly before settling on his wall calendar, placed near his television.

May 6th.

"Oh," you said out, your mouth literally forming an 'O' shape as you realised.

It was Baekhyun's birthday.

You silently cursed in your head, for forgetting even your best friend's birthday. You must have lost track of time while taking care of Jaehyun all this while. But Baekhyun himself didn't even say anything about it, and you wondered if he probably forgot about it as well.

"Yeah, he probably did." you mumbled to yourself as you nodded your head. He must have been so stressed after waking up from Jaehyun's crying that he forgot his birthday.

As if on cue, Jaehyun's loud crying sounded from the room. Scooping the remains of the scrambled eggs from the plate into your mouth, you rushed into the room, with Baekhyun slowly and unsteadily following behind you.

Carefully bringing Jaehyun into your arms, you coaxed him again by rocking him side to side, telling him that you're here and it's alright.

It amazed Baekhyun so much how you could comfort the kid so easily.. and how angelic and motherly you looked like right now.

He then cleared his throat- as if trying to get your attention before saying, "C-can I?" Baekhyun timidly reached his hands towards Jaehyun, trying to carry him.

But Jaehyun looked like he was about to get into a fit again, so Baekhyun backed out, just in case.

"Give him a little more time." you whispered to Baekhyun before going into the living room, leaving Baekhyun all alone in the little baby room.

"AH!" You screamed out, an idea popping up in your mind. Baekhyun rushed out, thinking something happened, but nope, it was just you...being a little too excited.

"Let's go to the park! Jaehyun, park! Trees, grass, play! Baekhyun, park! Picnic, food, games!" you clapped your hands together excitedly, your eyes twinkling from your brilliant idea.

What made both Baekhyun and you happy was Jaehyun brightening up, excitedly following you in clapping his hands as well, mouthing and croaking out "Play! Play play!" as well.

"Seems like Jaehyun agrees too. Baek, go make food. Like, now. We'll leave soon!"

Baekhyun stared blankly at you before he finally got it.

You are trying to open a place for Baekhyun in Jaehyun's heart.


"Wahhh! Mama, play, play!" Jaehyun excitedly wobbled around, tugging on your sleeve to get you up to play catch around the grassy space.

Smiling at the sight of excited Jaehyun, you stood up slowly, counting, "1...2..3! I'm coming to catch you!" as you pretended to run and catch Jaehyun.

Baekhyun sat on the picnic mat with a basket filled with food beside him as he watched the both of you enjoying yourselves. He unknowingly smiled at the sight; it was so.. heartwarming to see. He secretly wished that he was there, playing catch with Jaehyun and you too.

After a quick 'run', Jaehyun grew tired from being overly active, so you decided to settle him down for some snacks.

"Jaehyun, say ahhh!" you said, holding a chocolate pepero stick to Jaehyun's mouth to feed him, and he happily accepted it. Baekhyun looked at you with envy as he ate his own pepero sticks by himself too.

Noticing the awkward atmosphere between Baekhyun and Jaehyun, you decided to break it by telling Baekhyun that his son didn't like cucumbers as well.

Baekhyun seemed a little too surprised and excited as his eyes perked up as he said, smiling that "Yeah, baby Jae knows what's not good for him too. Just like me." and looked at Jaehyun, who seemed skeptical about having Baekhyun here and even speaking his name.

"Mama..who he?" Jaehyun asked curiously, biting on his pepero stick like a hamster.

"Me, papa." Baekhyun said, pointing to himself, showing his toothy grin to his son.

Jaehyun stared for a while before giggling. That sound was like music to Baekhyun's ears - so nice, so comforting and heartwarming for him to hear, after only hearing Jaehyun cry..

Jaehyun was warming up to Baekhyun.

After their quick snack, Baekhyun had naturally joined in their games, constantly trying to interact and engage with Jaehyun. He finally saw what you meant when you said, "your child".

Seeing his own kid, so happy and enjoying himself, Baekhyun felt contented with everything; as though he was blessed. He was blessed with Jaehyun. And you.

That was when Baekhyun realised: you were right there by his side whenever, always taking care of Jaehyun when he couldn't, giving Jaehyun the love and care he needed.. He couldn't have been more thankful.

Right then, Jaehyun fell with his face down. Almost immediately, he let out a cry; but Baekhyun got there faster than you did. You stood beside Baekhyun who was crouching down, trying to hold Jaehyun up as you watched them both.

Baekhyun looked so worried and even a little scared. "Are you okay? Are you injured? Are you in pain?" he asked urgently to baby Jaehyun as he scanned the kid from head to toe, brushing off the grass that was on his body.

Instead of hearing even more wailing now that a male- that was a stranger in the morning, now carrying him, baby Jaehyun just looked at Baekhyun and touched his face, even poking him and giggling, letting out a cute hiccup.

Baekhyun just stared at the kid, dumbfounded. His fatherly instincts just unconsciously took over, and he didn't even realise until Jaehyun broke him out of his little reverie. "Ah..." Baekhyun slowly said, smiling at the cute puffy face infront of him.

"Ah, what a sight. Wasn't that difficult, right, Baek? Now, hand him over. I need to bring him to the washroom!" you said, a little jealous now that the bond between the two boys have finally grown stronger.

"But I can bring him too!" Baekhyun protested, not wanting to let go of baby Jaehyun that smelled so nice of baby powder and shampoo.

"No. Let me have my time now. And you don't know how to stop his hiccups too." you said, reaching your hands out for Jaehyun who happily and almost jumped into your arms.

"Come back quickly!" Baekhyun shouted to you as you walked away to the washroom.

Seeing that you are far enough, you quickly walked to the nearest bakery you could find.

"Jaehyun ah, do you like Papa?" you asked Jaehyun, as you entered the cozy little bakery.

"Papa fun, papa nice! Me like Papa!" Jaehyun happily answered, bouncing a little in your arms that's followed with another hiccup.

"Jaehyun, today is Papa's birthday. Let's buy him a cake, okay?" you said, turning Jaehyun to face the array of cakes on display. Jaehyun's eyes widened before he briefly yet quickly scanned the cakes, before settling for strawberry souffle cheesecake.

Hurriedly taking the cake, you left quickly to head back as your phone rang: a message from Baekhyun.

date: 06.05.2015, received: 2:43pm

baekhyunnie^^: WHERE ARE YOU

baekhyunnie^^: WHERE DID YOU BRING MY SON TO

baekhyunnie^^: BRING HIM BACK PLS DONT KIDNAP HIM OR I WILL CALL THE POLICE

Chuckling, you kept your phone again, laughing at how clingy Baekhyun was to Jaehyun.

"Papa misses you, so let's go back quickly okay?" you told Jaehyun as you quickened your pace.

Hiding behind a tree near where Baekhyun was sitting at, you unboxed the cake, cutting out a slice and putting it on a piece of cardboard you tore from the cakebox, you handed it over to Jaehyun.

"Jaehyun, bring this over to Papa and tell him Happy Birthday okay?" you said as you pointed to Baekhyun's back.

Jaehyun excitedly nodded his head, holding the piece of cake in his little palms, heading straight for the clueless Baekhyun.

"Papa, happy birthday!" Jaehyun said, smiling widely, showing his two front teeth as he stretched his hands forward to Baekhyun, showing him the cake.

Baekhyun definitely wasn't expecting this. He felt so overwhelmed at the sight of his own kid that he didn't bother about before, now holding out a cake for him to celebrate his forgotten birthday, and the most important thing? Jaehyun called Baekhyun 'Papa'. Jaehyun acknowledged Baekhyun.

"This," Baekhyun croaked out, his voice choked from the disbelief, "is the best birthday present ever. Thank you, Jaehyun-ah. I love you." and brought Jaehyun close for a big, warm hug.

You smiled at the sight of them finally together; it was like a family portrait, just incomplete.. without a mother.

"Thank you.. I love you too, Mama." Baekhyun said, noticing you as you smiled lovingly at him.

"Always my pleasure, Mr Byun. Now can I join this brilliant hug of yours?" you childishly asked for permission.

Chuckling, he turned to ask Jaehyun, "Do you want this woman to join our hug?"

"Yes! Mama, join, with me and Papa!" Jaehyun said, flailing his arms in the air excitedly at the thought.

Laughing, you joined and got squeezed by the two of them. "Family!" called out a very happy Jaehyun.

"Yes, Jaehyun baby. This is a family! Can you wish me a happy birthday again, too?" Baekhyun asked yet again, still overwhelmed.

"Papa, happy birthday!" giggled a baby Jaehyun, hugged between you and Baekhyun.

"This... is definitely my best birthday present, ever."



 

a/n: 

is this actually counted angst (the start) or something bc i can't do tags or whatever hahaha.

do check out my other oneshots/twoshots/threeshots! i've actually like written birthday shots for Luhan and Tao..... and now Baek... hahaha.

that's all!! thank you for reading and pls do leave me comments! im on askfm too: ask.fm/droolydae so if you have any questions, do go ahead and ask me!!

OH AND DISCLAIMER, by any means, this is purely what i thought of; it's not a real, true story thing. (who knows HAHAHA just kidding ok im sure baek doesnt have that. he's way too busy anyway. like, really.)

i hope you enjoyed this!! 

with love,

droolydae.