Chapter Three

Street Rat

Unfortunately, Suho was home too, and the first thing Sehun hears is a sermon from the elder; the usual comments about his stealing, his safety, the scratches on his arms and legs, why he should not do it, and how one day, Sehun is going to get caught and land himself in jail, and he will become an old man filled with regret. Sehun was so used to his brother’s speech that he found himself mouthing the words as Suho said them. 

Suho must have realized, because he stopped with a loud sigh.

“Sehun, I’m serious,” he said. “Can’t you stop?”

Sehun laid the apple and loaf of bread on the table, choosing to ignore the question thrown at him by his brother.

“Dinner is served,” he said, a hint of sarcasm in his voice. “Or we could always keep the bread for tomorrow’s lunch.”

“Sehun…” Suho started to say again, only to be cut off.

“Look, you currently don’t have a job, we have little to no money at all, and all I want to do is help, bro,” Sehun gestured to the food on the table. “This is the only thing I’m good at, and it’s the only thing I can do, so just… let me do it.”

A moment of silence passed between them, before Suho shook his head, “just don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

"You should have heard the guards earlier though, man," Sehun laughed a little, trying to lighten up the mood. "They come up with new insults every time. They called me street rat today."

Suho allowed himself a little smile, "well, we can't blame them. And... I suppose it's okay."

"What is?"

"Stealing food," Suho said, unwillingly. He sighed again, "we do need food to eat. I'll find a job soon, though. As long as food is the only thing you've been getting."

Sehun coughed a little, but it didn't go unnoticed by Suho, who immediately faced him with a steely glare.

"Sehun, what else do you have?"

Sheepishly, Sehun began to take out a small brown pouch from his pocket. Earlier that day, before he was caught up in the street chase, he was merely strolling along the road when the pouch caught his eye; immediately, he bent down to take it and fled the scene before anybody could catch him, and before he could check the contents. He wasn't sure what was inside it. It was rather heavy for a small pouch; he hoped it was money.

Suho, however, eyed the pouch with unmasked distate, a scowl on his features.

"What's inside?"

Sehun shrugged, shaking the contents of the pouch out on the table. 

A single tiger figurine fell out, hitting the table with soft clunk. Sehun picked it up and held it against what little sunlight managed to enter the area, since the sun was almost setting. It was green in colour, roughly the size of his palm, and cool to touch. He rolled it over his hand a few times, trying to see if the warmth of his hand will transfer to the figurine, but every time it comes contact with his skin, it remained cold. A wide grin appeared on Sehun's face.

"Sehun," Suho said again to get his attention. His eyes were wide and followed the movement of the tiger figurine in his brother's hand.

"I wouldn't know," Sehun said, grin widening, "but it feels like real jade, Suho."


Short update ehehe. Because this is technically the second update of the day. 
Update: in case any of you are curious, real jade is always cold, no matter what. 

Did anybody catch the small Inception reference? Sorry, I love that movie.

The next chapter will be the usual length (which is double the length of this one) for sure! 
(Hopefully done by tomorrow.)