Did It Hurt? (1/1)

Did It Hurt?

It’s in the early hours of the morning, close to 3am, when he brings it up. They’re lying in bed, a comfortable silence in the room that for once Jongdae isn’t filling with his rambles about anything and everything. Not that Yixing minds either way; he likes listening to his human talk, likes just being with him in general. But now Jongdae’s deep in thought, not quite sure how to go about asking. In the end he resolves to just go for it, so lifts his head from the other’s chest and leans on his elbows as he stares into Yixing’s eyes. “Did it hurt?”

“Pardon?” The other furrows his eyebrows, and Jongdae thinks he looks even more adorable when he’s confused.

“Did it hurt?” He repeats. “Y'know, when you fell from heaven.” The clichéd phrase was unable to leave his lips without a little giggle, and he knows Yixing won’t get the joke. More often than not his references have gone misunderstood, but he enjoys educating his angel on these things, and in return he enjoys learning about angelic culture. They’ve spent many nights talking and sharing stories.

“Not really, I-I told you that I don’t remember much of the fall. But I imagine that, had I been awake and able to remember, it wouldn’t have been very pleasant, no.” Yixing answers the question to the best of his ability, not understanding why Jongdae’s laughing. The sound is music to the angel’s ears, though, and the smaller’s smile is gorgeous as it curls up at the edges. Said human sighs contentedly and picks up one of Yixing’s hands with his own, pressing their fingertips together and running his own down the other’s arm and all over his bare chest until he gets to the brilliantly white wings unfurled on either side of his shoulders. He the velvety feathers lightly, revelling in the pleased shudder it evokes.

“I love you.” It’s barely a whisper, but Jongdae knows it was heard in the otherwise silent room. Yixing grins at him equally as lovingly. “Y'know I’ve been waiting my whole life for someone to come pick me up and steal my heart… This year has been…”

“I know, Jongdae. I was watching you for a long time before I fell, I saw what you went through and I knew I wanted to help.” He guides Jongdae’s head back down to his chest, directly over his heart, and begins running his fingers through his soft curly brown hair.

“Did that hurt?”

“Watching on while you were down here suffering and waiting for it to get better? Of course. I was given the job as your guardian to watch over you, and I knew I’d developed feelings way more than that long before the fall.” He sighs, scratching at the other’s scalp. “When I first saw you, in person, I couldn’t believe it. I had to reach out and touch you, confirm I wasn’t imagining things as an after-effect of the fall.”

“Did you know then?”

“You sure are curious tonight, love.” Yixing chuckles. “Did I know what?”

“Did you know it was love, from the first time we touched?”

“Yeah, I did. Though I’m sorry I scared you off like that.”

“Well, when the angelic guy literally from your dreams shows up, your face and confesses his love for you in the space of twenty seconds, it’s a little much to take in all at once.” Jongdae snorts. “But I’m glad you didn’t give up on me.” Yixing’s arm tightens around his waist, his wings curling around their bodies protectively.

“Never.” He says firmly, and it starts a whole swarm of butterflies in Jongdae’s heart. He lifts his head up to meet his angel’s eyes.

“Thank you, I love you.” The blinding smile on his face is back, and Yixing takes pride in knowing he’s the one responsible.

“I love you too, now you should get some rest.” He brings Jongdae’s chin closer and seals their lips in a brief but sincere kiss and watches the smaller fall asleep against him. Seeing as he can’t, watching the other sleep is one of Yixing’s favourite things to do. He looks so peaceful and breathtakingly beautiful. He grins down at him and presses a featherlight kiss to his hair. “I’ve been waiting my whole life for you too.”