Perfect Plan

Perfect Plan

“I promise you, it’ll work.”

“I don’t think I can do this. What if she gets mad?”

“Then run as fast as you can.”

“Joy, please, I don’t think this is a good idea.”

“It’s just your nerves speaking for you; again, trust me, it’ll work! Now go!”

With a devilish smirk on her face, Joy pushed her unnie toward the front desk of the library and retreated behind a bookshelf. When Seulgi turned to look back at her best friend, Joy just waved her hand forward, urging her unnie to keep going. Seulgi sighed in defeat and let her legs carry her towards the front desk and the beautiful girl that occupied it.

Seulgi first took notice of the girl—Wendy was her name—the day before her calculus II exam. That evening consisted of internal screaming, light sketching, and sneakily glancing at the blonde—watching her when she checked books out to other students, when she would send people off with a smile, and especially when she laughed at her co-worker’s sarcasm. Every time Wendy laughed, her eyes would form natural crescents, sending Seulgi’s stomach swirling like a washing machine; her lips, from which such laughter erupted, were ones Seulgi longed to capture with her own.

She remembered the evening clearly because even though her plan was to study, Seulgi practically did everything except for that. With her eyes preoccupied by the young blonde, she was academically unproductive and ended up failing her exam that following morning. Regardless, it was something Seulgi didn’t regret.

Presently, Seulgi was a few paces away from the library’s front desk as well as a few paces away from her sure death (by embarrassment). Seulgi’s breath hitched when Wendy lifted her face and caught her eyes, and even more so when the latter slipped in a warm smile.

“How can I help you?” Seulgi felt her ears warm up at the sound of her voice.

Nervously, she started carrying out Joy’s self-proclaimed ‘perfect plan’ to suavely get Wendy’s number, “I, uh, accidentally misplaced my phone. Do you think I could, uh, borrow yours to try and call it? I think it’s—it definitely should be around here somewhere...”

Suddenly, Seulgi’s eyes fluttered to the phone on the front desk and mentally cursed at Joy because she found a hole in her ‘perfect plan.’ Wendy was probably going to offer her the library phone; why would she lend her personal phon—

“Sure, no problem!” Seulgi’s worries were soon replaced by utter shock as the girl across the counter pulled her cellphone from her pocket and motioned for Seulgi to take it. “I hope you find it,” she said with a smile.

“Th-Thanks, just give me a minute.” Seulgi looked back at the bookshelf where her dongsaeng was hiding and saw Joy give her a thumbs-up. She shook her head and started dialing her own phone number, even though she knew it was in her back pocket.

Almost instantly, her phone’s ringtone started playing and Wendy eyed Seulgi with a tinge of suspicion and curiosity evident on her face. Seulgi let out a quiet cough and ended the call with Wendy’s phone. She then retrieved her own from her back pocket and took a deep breath before continuing the plan.

“Thank you,” Seulgi calmly said before handing Wendy her phone.

Interestingly enough, Wendy seemed a little flustered as she mumbled out, “It’s no problem; I’m glad I was able to help you find it.”

Seulgi smiled, finding a little more confidence within herself, “Oh no, not for that.”

“Then… Thanks for what?” Wendy asked with a raised brow.

“For giving me your number,” Seulgi said charmingly, slightly waving her phone in the air.

Wendy flushed a light pink and averted her eyes before she softly replied, “Wh-What..? You didn’t have to—I mean, I would have given it to you anyway if you had asked normally...”

“Oh… Really?” Seulgi let out a nervous laugh and scratched the back of her neck awkwardly. “I didn’t think you’d—uh… So, does this mean, uh, you’re okay with me calling you tonight?”

Wendy laughed behind one of her hands at how cute Seulgi was when she was flustered, and then nodded, a smiling playing across her lips when the latter’s eyes lit up.

“Well, as long as I can have the sketch you drew of me on the last page of your notebook.”

“My notebook…?” Seulgi turned to pull her black notebook from her backpack and flipped to said page, her cheeks growing crimson as she looked over the drawing. “I don’t even remember doing this—how did you…?”

“You fell asleep while studying one night and I took a peek when cleaning the desk near yours. You’re a fantastic artist, you know.”

Seulgi’s elongated silence was enough of a cue for Wendy to continue, “The note at the bottom is pretty cute too.”

“Huh?” Seulgi’s gaze moved to the bottom right corner of the page and mouthed the words scribbled messily, these lips I crave to own. “.”

Wendy chuckled at Seulgi’s embarrassment and gently took the notebook from her, their fingers brushing ever so slightly. She looked to Seulgi for confirmation before tearing the drawing from the notebook and handing the book back to Seulgi.

“For the record,” Wendy beckoned Seulgi closer to her and whispered in her ear, “I’ve imagined your lips on mine before too.”

Seulgi pulled back slightly in shock and stared into Wendy's eyes, trying to figure out if she was being serious or if she was just teasing. What she got in return was a heartfelt smile, making Seulgi wish she was buried fifty feet under. This girl was too much for her.

“Well now that I know that it works,” Joy popped in from behind, startling the two previously lost in their own world, “I’m going to try it on Joohyun-sunbae. Thanks for testing the plan out, unnie.” Joy gave Seulgi a quick peck on the cheek before rushing out the library.

“So… I’ll, uh, call you later!” Seulgi bowed slightly and speed-walked her way out, trailing behind her dongsaeng.

And she did.

 


A/N: Hnnngggg. This didn't flow as well as I hoped, but oh well. *sweats* Getting flirted with is one of the perks as well as downfalls of working at the campus librarythe perk being finding ideas. LOL. It's also pretty funny because my best friend had a similar encounter the following week. I may write another version of this based on her experience because it was a little cuter than mine.