The Start of Many Seasons

Paper Boats

 

Now

It’s spring. The sun emanates a gentle glow, and the cherry petals flow incessantly like pink confetti. Yonghwa and I are sitting under the very same tree from years ago.

“It’s good to be home, right?” he asks, looking at me.

“Yeah,” I reply, smiling. My eyes are trained on the twins in front of us. They are floating paper boats. The both of them have the same glossy, black hair—the same as their father.

“Ah!” Min Hee, the younger twin, cries in excitement. “It’s going, it’s going!”

“Look at it go!” her older twin, Minho, exclaims. “Min Hee-yah, let’s make another one.”

“Sure,” she says. She grabs two pieces of paper and hands one to her brother.

“While our children are busy playing,” I begin. “Why don’t we prepare the food?”

“Great idea,” Yonghwa agrees, pulling the picnic basket closer to us.

“Minho-yah!” Min Hee whines. “Where are you going now?”

“I’ll be back!” he replies. “I just saw a pretty good pebble over there. I’ll get it and return, hm?”

Yonghwa lets out a scoff. “That kid,” he says. “He takes after you.”

“Just the attitude, not the face,” I reply. “Min Hee’s more mischievous, Yonghwa. What does that say about you?”

“At least our girl’s got spunk,” he returns.

I smile, and hear Minho’s attempts of getting my attention. “Mom! I’ll just go to that side and collect some pebbles!”

“Sure, but take care, Minho-yah.”

“I will,” he replies with a grin.

Min Hee stands up and heads for our direction. “Mommy,” she begins in a sullen tone. “Why does Minho like pebbles so much?”

“Well, why do you love to float paper boats so much?” I return.

“I want to know if it will reach Australia or not,” she replies.

I look at Yonghwa, and mouth out, “Did you teach her?”

He shakes his head no.

“Why Australia?” I ask again.

“Mommy, don’t you know? They have kangaroos and cute koalas there. I want to see those animals soon. Daddy knows it. He went to Australia for a concert back then, right? He told me so!”

I lock her in a tight embrace. “But you’ve seen koalas and kangaroos in zoos, haven’t you?”

“This and that are different!” she hollers.

Yonghwa laughs at Min Hee’s reaction. “All right, kiddo,” he says. “When the right time comes, you’ll be able to go to Australia.”

“Really?” she asks, her face lightening up.

“Really,” he confirms. “Now, go and call your brother. We’re about to eat soon.”

“Okay,” she says, and trudges off to where Minho is.

Soon, I hear a voice calling out our names. Yonghwa and I look up at the bridge and see Donghyun and Mina, walking hand in hand.

“Ah, Donghyun-ah, Mina-yah, you came!” I cry, standing up. “Since when?”

“Just yesterday,” Donghyun replies, grinning. “Where are our godchildren?”

Before replying, Min Hee and Minho run towards their godparents, giddy. Yonghwa and I exchange knowing glances. Donghyun carries the twins as the two make their way down the slope.

“Is London nice?” Min Hee asks.

“Korea is even better,” Donghyun answers. “Because this is our home.”

The twins give their godfather a final hug before squirming free. The four of us look at each other with a sincere smile, talking about the past between us with our eyes. The past…which intertwined us to get together. The events from back then didn’t break us. Instead, it made us stronger. What we have now is an unbreakable bond.

“We’re about to eat lunch,” I say. “Join us, hm?”

“Yeah,” Mina replies. “We’ve a lot to talk about, after all.”

“Huh?” Yonghwa chimes in. “What do you mean?”

“Well…” Donghyun stalls, blushing furiously, reminding me of the fiery red hair he had back then. “We want you to be godparents, as well.”

My eyes widen with realization, and I grab Mina’s hands. “Don’t tell me you’re…?” I trail off.

“I am,” she confirms, blushing like the way Donghyun did earlier.

“Mina-yah,” I say. “I’m happy for you!”

“W-Wait,” Yonghwa begins, pointing at Donghyun, and then at Mina. “So what you’re saying, Donghyun-ah, is that you’re going to be a Dad?”

He nods, and Yonghwa pats his back. “I thought this day will never come. I’m so proud of you, dude.”

The two guys give each other a resounding high-five. The twins are already sitting down, waiting for us adults to join them.

“What took you so long?” Minho asks.

“Oh, Mina and Donghyun just gave us some good news,” I answer.

“You mean we’ll have a new playmate soon?” Min Hee suggests.

Minho grins, and points at Mina’s belly. “Our playmate is still growing inside Aunt Mina’s tummy, right?”

“Right,” she says. “So the two of you should treat the baby with care when she comes out, hm?”

“Sure!” the two cry out, smiling.

After eating lunch, the twins return to the river.

“Those two love to float paper boats, don’t they?” Donghyun remarks. He looks at us. “Who taught them?”

Yonghwa and I raise our hands in surrender. “We didn’t,” we say.

“Oh!” Min Hee suddenly cries. “Daddy, Daddy! Look, look!”

“What is it?” Yonghwa asks, standing up. He turns to us and smiles. “I’ll be back. My child needs me.”

The three of us look at them, and a smile graces my lips upon seeing a bottle in Yonghwa’s hand, glimmering under the sun.

“It’s a message in a bottle!” Minho cries. “I wonder where it’s from.”

“Should we read it?” Yonghwa initiates.

“Yes!” the twins holler at the same time. We all gather around the bottle, and with a careful motion, Yonghwa unseals it.

<:>

Dear Reader,

                You might wonder where this bottle came from. I wrote it here, in my place, under the roof of my house, on a summer day. That’s all you should know. I won’t use my real name at the ending, as well. This is not a suicide note. It’s not a letter of confession, either. Rather, this letter talks about a love story I witnessed—the others witnessed—if they were conscious enough.

                I’m a simple supporter of a band named CN BLUE. Who would’ve thought their leader, Jung Yonghwa, has a story nobody really expected? It all happened in their first concert in Belfast. Back then, he confessed to a “Girl with Autumn Eyes”. It was a touching scene, to be honest. Well, it touched me. Yonghwa chased after her, and the girl jumped to retrieve something from the freezing water of Northern Ireland. He jumped in, too, in order to rescue her. I believe they got hospitalized, and Yonghwa returned to Korea two days later. I hope they’re together again now, and I hope they read this, too.

                Because of them, I took risks. I did things I promised myself to never do. And I didn’t regret. After reading this, I hope you float it again, so that other people can be aware of a story about love, which blossomed between a certain girl with autumn eyes and a leader of an indie band called Jung Yonghwa.

Love,
you

 


 

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."
- 1 Corinthians 13:13

 


 

Thank you for reading
until the end. I hope you
have enjoyed this ride.

To loveternallyou,
you're a creative author!
May God bless you more!

As for you, I hope
you encourage others like
you've encouraged me.

I will not forget
the things you've shared in this fic.
I promise I won't.

I'm here as a friend,
please don't forget that. God bless!
With love, summerchild.


Now, this is the basis of this story. This is the plot line I got from loveternallyou ^^:

CN Blue Challenge o3 ;

They were childhood best friends. A promise was made between them – he would take care of her for the rest of his life. 
But they start to drift apart slowly as they grow up and the distance between them grew further too.
They lost contact until one day, he appears on her television set as a member of one of the most prominent bands in Seoul.
She starts to realise how much she has missed him and wished that they could go back to the way things were.
She still remembers his promise even though he has probably forgotten about it.
They met accidentally one day while he was on a tour with the rest of his band-mates and words weren’t needed to be spoken to know how the two of them felt about each other.
But then, is he willing to risk it all – his fame and career to start anew with her and rekindle back their friendship which had been lost over time?