fin

Fading Memories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Hey, why are you crying alone here? I always see you crying. Don't cry. Tell me what's wrong?" A guy suddenly decided to approached her. She looked up only to see the boy pulling out his handkerchief.

"N-nothing..." She said as she wiped the tears strained off her face using his handkerchief.

"It's okay if you're not ready to tell me. But here, take my hand. I'll take you away from this misery." The guy smiled innocently while holding his hand out.

"Why..." Dami stared at his hand before looking up to see his face.

"I don't know. I think I love you..." He said while covering his smile-ripping face with the back of his hand.

"What?" Dami couldn't help but chuckled at his cute reaction.

"Wasn't it love when your heart was beating like it was going to jump out of it place just by seeing someone you like?"

"Wasn't it love when you feel like dying just by seeing the sight of the girl crying helplessly?" The boys said making her blushed.

"Who are you..." She mumbled, fiddling her fingers.

"Hi, my name is Kim Jongin. I've loved you from the first day we met. So is it okay for me take care of you?" He said as he took a seat beside her, looking at her eagerly.

"You don't even know me." She said with a forced chuckle.

"You're Ahn Dami. And you stole something from me..." He said, sounded so serious. Dami blinked in confusion.

"What?"

"Ahn Dami, you stole my heart. So, will you let me fill the empty space in your heart?" He smiled and that was how their relationship started. They moved in a small apartment and Dami started to accept Jongin's existance in her life. 

She was glad that Jongin was there whenever she was sad and need someone. She always loved the loving side of Jongin.

But she started to notice, as months passed, Jongin started to changed. Their relationship was already one years and six months. Why now? She don't know the answer. She don't even want to know the andswer.

Jongin no longer give her forehead kisses like he used to do. There was no loving smile painted on his lips everytime Dami greeted him a good morning. He smiled. But the smile seemed forced.

Did he fall out of love with her?

 

 

 

She dialed for his number for the umpteenth times but still, there was no response from Jongin. She sighed and placed her phone on the table before going to the kitchen, preparing food for lunch. 

 

 

"Oh? Guess I forgot to buy the cooking oil, huh?" She chuckled and went to change her clothes before going to the market.

She took all the things that she needed and went to the counter. She waited for her groceries while looking around, not realizing the weird stares from others because she was wearing a different pairs of shoes.

She took her plastic bags that contained her groceries and was about to go when the cashier yelled.

"Hey! You should pay for it! Nothing's free!" He spoke, annoyed. Dami looked at the cashier. She was clueless. What was he talking about? 

"What.... are you talking about?" Dami asked him with a questioning look. She looked down at her hand that was holding the plastic bags then back to the cashier.

"Are you sick? You need to pay!"

"Here, let me pay for her." She heard a voice behind him. She turned to the voice and smiled.

"Suho. Thank you! I don't know what was he talking about. Why should I pay? Hmph!" She pouted childishly. Suho sighed. He knew it was another sympthom of her illness. 

"Dami... you should pay when you buy something from the market." He said slowly, not wanting to make her sad. Suho knew, Dami was sad because of his illness. 

"I-I should p-pay?" 

"Yeah. And.. you wore the wrong pair of shoes. Look." Suho chuckled slowly. Dami looked down on her feet and bite her lower lips in shame.

"I forgot it again, huh?" Her voice trembled and as if a cue, Suho quickly hugged her. Tears slipped on her cheeks and her sobs turned to be muffle because she was biting her knuckle to prevent the awful sobs from escaping her lips.

"Shh. Don't cry. It's okay. I'm here. Don't cry. It's normal okay?" Suho said as he rubbed her back in a comforting manner.

"It's not normal, Suho... I keep on forgetting things. What if Jongin find out about this? I'm scared." She cried again.

"You need to tell Jongin, Dami. You shouldn't keep it to yourself. It's dangerous!" Suho said frustratedly. 

Yes. Suho knew about her illness. Ahn Dami, an alzheimer patient, second stage. In fact, Suho was the first person who got to know about her illness. Dami decided to keep it away from Jongin. Not that she never try to tell Jongin, she tried before. But Jongin doesn't seemed to care.

 

 

 

"I'm home." Jongin shouted as he closed the door behind him. Dami walked towards the love of her life with a beautiful smile on her lip. She stood in front of him and tip toed. She was about to greet him with a kiss on his lips but Jongin turned away. Dami awkwardly leaned away and cleared .

"Are you tired?" She asked as she took his suitcase from his hand. 

"Of course." He replied in monotone before walking to the dining table. Dami hung her head low as she wiped the tear that escaped her eyes quietly. 

She followed Jongin and sat in front of him. Jongin took his eating utensil and started eating. She smiled, adoring how he looked like whenever he chewed on his food slowly. But her smiled faded as she noticed Jongin was taking a deep breath and slammed the eating utensil harshly, making her flinched in shock.

"Did you taste the food before you serve this to me?" Jongin asked as he glared at her. 

"N-no....." She shook her head. She cooked it well. What was wrong with her food.

"It tasted awful!" He yelled in frustration.

"I'm sorry..." 

"Try this." Jongin pushed his food towards her. She took the bowl hesitantly and took a bite of it.

Oh

"Did you forget to add seasoning? I feel like I just ate grasses." He scoffed. Again, Dami hung her head low as she wiped her tears off her face. 

"I'm sorry, Jongin. I forgot to add seasoning." She mumbled slowly.

"Are you dumb? How can you forget things like that?" Jongin groaned as he stood up.

"I'm going to sleep. Wake me up early at 7 tomorrow. I have a meeting." He said before leaving her alone at the dining table, crying silently.

"That's okay.... Maybe he had a bad day at the office." She mumbled, trying to comfort herself.

She quickly clean the unfinished dishes and went to the living room. She took her diary that was kept in the drawer and add a new note.

 

Things that I shouldn't forget;

1) I forgot my phone number- I almost lost once at the market, luckily Suho found me and send me home.

2) I forgot my parents' name. How did they look like?

3) I forgot where I put my phone. But I found it yesterday on the kitchen counter.

4) I should pay whener I buy something from the market.

5) Suho said I wore the wrong pairs of shoes.

6) A girl said she's my best friend. Her name is Ari. Is it true?

7) I can't put make up on my face. I don't even know how to hold the brush properly anymore.

8) I forgot to add seasoning in my cook. Jongin was mad at me.....

 

She laid on the couch and fell asleep because she was tired of doing chores. She fell asleep after crying about what had happened earlier. She cried herself to sleep.

 

 

 

She woke up as the clock strikes 8.50 a.m. She brushed her teeth and started preparing breakfast for the both of them. She cooked pancakes and bacons. She even baked some chocolate muffins to make it up with Jongin. She smiled in satisfication as she finished serving the breakfast on the table.

"Why didn't you wake me? I'm late now! Damn it, Ahn Dami! You're useless!" Jongin yelled furiously while fixing his tie.

"I was about to wake you up... It's not that late. You always go to work at 10. It's just 9.20." Dami replied innocently which only made him mad even more.

"Are you stupid?! I told you to wake me up at 7! What is wrong with you!" He shouted as he grabbed her by the shoulder roughly making Dami winced in pain.

"I-I forgot... I'm s-sorry." That was the only words that escaped her lips. 

"Forgot?! That's it?!" He yelled furiously but Dami was too scared to looked up to see his face. Jongin never yelled at her. Jongin never hurt her physically.

Jongin let go of her shoulder and walked to the door before slamming it real hard.

"Ottokaji......." She said as she squatted, letting her tears fell like there's no tomorrow. She was broken. She could clearly hear the cracking sound that was coming from her already broken heart.

She stared at the food on the dining table and sighed. She sat on the chair and picked the muffin. She lost the appetite to eat and again, she sighed.

 

 

 

Days passed and Jongin still didn't come home after the incident, leaving Dami in a deppressed state. Her health got worsened but she don't even care a bit. All she think about was Jongin. 

Did he eat well?

Where did he stay?

What is he doing right now?

Did he eat his lunch?

Dami couldn't stop herself from getting worry. She skipped her meals and would wait for Jongin on the couch. She would constantly glance at the door as if the door will burst open and Jongin will pop out saying how sorry he was for shouting at her. For hurting her. But no. There was no sight of Jongin. She sighed and decided to go for a walk at the mall. 

She changed into a simple outfit, grabbing her phone and purse before heading out of the apartment to hail a cab. Good thing was that she still remember about paying stuff.

She paid to the driver with a small smile and was about to stepped out of the cab when the driver called her.

"Miss, you forgot your change." The driver chuckled. Well, he wouldn't be chuckling right now if he know why she forgot about that.

"Ah... Thank you." She smiled before stepping out, walking to the mall.

She walked around the mall and decided to buy herseld some shirts and her eyes caught a shop that sells snapbacks. She walked to the shop with a smile on her lips.

"Jongin will look nice with this snapback." She giggled while checking out the snapback. She ended up buying that snapback while happily walking around the mall with a smile.

She unconsciously forgot about her fought with Jongin. 

As she was walking around, she felt hungry so she decided to eat at her favorite cafe with Jongin. But as soon as she entered the cafe, she felt regret for even walking around the mall. She saw a sight that made her heart shattered into pieces. 

A couple who was laughing happily, sitting at the corner of the cafe. The guy which Dami could recognize right away. Kim Jongin.

"J-Jongin...." She mumbled as tears rolled on her cheeks. But he doesn't seemed to notice her present yet. 

Dami saw how the love of her life was feeding another girl while smiling happily. She used to be the one who was fed by him. 

The paperbag  that contained her gift for Jongin that she was holding fell on the floor, making a thud. That was when Jongin and that girl turned to face her. 

Dami quickly wiped her tears off her face and smiled. She was about to say

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter