Wish

Wish
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Lying on the soft green grass under the dark shade of a big oak tree, hugging your book, you felt a cool breeze and took a deep long breath. Slowly opening your eyes, you saw the afternoon sun glittering among the fluttering green leaves of the tree. It felt good to rest in the quietude of the orchards by the river after years of suffocating city life. The only sounds being the chirping of the birds and the soft sweet rumbling of the flowing river nearby. This peace seemed surreal and gave you a dreamy, magical feeling.

 

A flash of brown in the branches caught your eye and interrupted your daydreaming. You focussed on it and saw two squirrels playing. They ran down along the tree trunk and slowed down near you, cocking their heads and looking at you in curiosity. You tried to hold out a hand towards them, but they got startled and ran away.

 

You sat up and looked up at the leaves. Another cool breeze blew. You closed your eyes in answer and felt it caress you. Somehow, you felt the need to sit somewhere higher. So you collected your book, climbed up the tree and found a strong branch to settle yourself in.

 

You didn’t often get the chance to climb up trees, being a girl. But you always seemed to feel this need to sit somewhere high somehow...The breeze in the roofs always felt better than the one coming in from the windows...

 

It was the same that day too...

 

There used to be a well a little way from the big tree. A “Wishing Well” people called it. You had never made wishes on it, because you didn’t believe in such things. You wondered if it still existed after all these years and looked in the direction from your vantage spot.

 

You had half expected it to be gone, but was surprised to see it still standing, just how you had seen it there in your childhood. Just as you watched, a little child walked up to the old well, tossed in a coin and stood there with clasped hands and eyes closed...Wishing...

 

“It comes true, you know, the wishes made on that well...” You were startled by a soft manly voice coming from somewhere under the tree. The surreal quietude being suddenly broken by a low voice, made you feel goos

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter