you're back

How to Love a Girl

chapter nine


 

Baekhyun lined up along the ticket booth. Today, a special fund-raising event will be held at the school's auditorium. The orchestra Taeyeon wanted Baekhyun to join is going to perform live. Every student from the university was encouraged to watch, along with other ticket buyers.

Baekhyun didn't inform anyone from his friends that he's back at school. He wanted to surprise them, but it seems like they're missing in action. No matter where Baekhyun's eyes looked around, there were no signs of the boys of EXO. Maybe they're just late or something.

Joy and Yeri were the troubled facilitators of the event. They were debating about something beside the closed doors of the auditorium. Spotting them, Baekhyun called their attention.

"Joy, Yeri... what seems to be the problem?" Baekhyun asked them.

"Seohyun-unnie is not yet here! She's supposed to be the pianist and the lead singer of tonight's event, but she called up and said that she couldn't come. Her older cousin went to labor today and she was the only relative with  the said woman. Ugh! We're trying to coordinate with the orchestra right now," Yeri explained, her candle-like fingers jumping on her smartphone.

Joy walked around in circles. Suddenly, she looked at Baekhyun.

"What?" Baekhyun asked her in confusion.

"You're coming with us!" Joy pulled him by the wrist.

The girls led Baekhyun inside the auditorium. They closed the doors behind them.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking, Yeri?" Joy asked.

"I think so," Yeri wiggled her eyebrows.

"Are you perhaps...thinking of...making me... Seohyun's replacement? No thanks," Baekhyun declined.

Joy slapped his arm. "What are you thinking about? This is an emergency! This fund-raising event won't be possible and those children we promised to support would be wailing at the negativity of their lives! For God's sake, Byun Baekhyun, there's a long line of people outside. Please. I know this will mean a lot for you. Your parents will really be proud of seeing their musically-talented son showing his skills for the very first time. Come on, you don't have to be frightened."

"She's right. Plus, you mentioned about arguing with some people. This is the time to show them that you can kick through piano, too. Taeyeon-ssi will even like you more," Yeri added.

Baekhyun buried his face under his palms and groaned.

Later on, the conductor came along and said, "Joy, Yeri... have you heard about Seohyun?"

"She couldn't come due to an emergency," Yeri uttered.

"Well, yes. I've been trying to pick someone out from our group, but none of them will ever play as better as Seohyun. It saddens me. I think we should postpone everything," the conductor said.

"No, no. We got it fixed. Our friend here, Byun Baekhyun, can play as better as Seohyun. We swear," Joy introduced Baekhyun to the conductor.

"But he doesn't know the-"

"Baekhyun, do the honors. Play anything on the grand piano right now," Joy said.

Baekhyun looked really confused, but since he didn't have any other choice, he went onstage and played Beethoven's Fur Elise. The conductor seems satisfied, so he guided Baekhyun on what songs he should play with the orchestra.

Moments later, people flocked the auditorium bit by bit. Baekhyun looked at them, terrified. He had no idea what kind of trouble he got into. He was pretty nervous, since it was his first time to play in front of a huge crowd. He clasped his hands, praying for a miracle.


 

Taeyeon sat down together with Heechul and Yoona. Heechul brought in some snacks, so they shared some chips together. Yoona was busy with her phone. Suddenly, she shrieked in shock.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Taeyeon asked.

"Seohyun informed me she won't be playing for today because her cousin went into labor and no one else is there for her. Oh my gosh. So, who will be performing today?" Yoona asked.

Heechul took a sip of his smoothie, "Relax. They got it all covered. See? The curtains are down and that means they're preparing something big at the back."

"Right," Taeyeon agreed.

"But it's different, guys. It's different when it's Seohyun. I was even excited to see her sing Let It Go," Yoona argued.

"Well, you've got a point too," Heechul agreed.

"Ladies and Gentlemen! This is the moment you've been waiting for. The show's about to start! So please, we request your complete silence. Just a friendly reminder: please turn your phones off or turn it into silent mode so that we can hear the performers well. Applaud at every beginning and end of a song. Now, sit back, relax and enjoy tonight's show!" Yeri announced through the backstage.

"This is it. Let's see who replaced Seohyun," Taeyeon said as she placed a handful of popcorn in .

The curtains went up slowly, with the orchestra playing a cover of Bruno Mars' Grenade.Taeyeon sat there dumbfounded, upon seeing Baekhyun playing the piano. She nearly choked on her popcorn. Heechul handed his smoothie to her to relieve the choking pain.

"He never plays in front of an audience!" Taeyeon said to Heechul and Yoona. People from their row asked her to hush down.

"I have no idea 'bout this," Heechul shrugged.

Taeyeon's eyes were glued at the serious guy playing the piano. Emotions just rushed inside Baekhyun. He didn't care whether there were a lot of people watching. He just wanted to make things right. He wouldn't want Seohyun to worry about the event, either. All he wanted was to do a good job.

He played the songs magnificently. Nothing was stopping him now.

His friends were seated at the balcony and all they could see was Baekhyun's image, playing the piano. At first, Chanyeol and Tao laughed at the sight of him playing the piano seriously. But then, they were amazed at the man Baekhyun has become. He looked totally different to their eyes.

"Who are you and what have you done to Byun Baekhyun?" Kyungsoo leaned on his seat.

After all of the songs he was required to play, Baekhyun did a solo song. He tapped the microphone first, and the spotlight was on him. The rest of the orchestra cannot be seen. All eyes were on Baekhyun this time. He was pretty shocked and nearly cursed the light director, but he controlled himself. His breathing can be heard through the microphone.

"He's nervous," Suho whispered at the stranger beside him.

"Um, I would like to play uhh... my own composition. It's a song called My Answer," Baekhyun said through the microphone.

"I may seem strong, I may be smiling
But there are many times when I’m alone

I may seem like I don’t have any worries
But I have a lot to say"

Taeyeon admired how the lights gleamed on him. Just then, she remembered what Eunhyuk said a few days ago.

"The moment I first saw you, I was so attracted to you
I didn’t weigh out my thoughts and just talked"

Baekhyun felt the song so much. However, his eyes were now at the audience, looking at someone in particular.

"The answer is you
My answer is you
I showed you my everything
You are my everything, because I was so sure"

"Is it me or is he looking somewhere here...?" Heechul asked.

Yoona nudged at Taeyeon, "Hey, he's looking at you."

"What the heck? You know there are girls behind me. I mean, he needs to have eye contact with us sometimes-"

Heechul and Yoona laughed softly.


 

When the show was over, Baekhyun was congratulated by several persons backstage. Yeri and Joy were more than glad to have Baekhyun play for them. Henry, who is part of the orchestra, approached Baekhyun as well.

Henry extended his hand out for Baekhyun to shake, "Man. I'm sorry about last time. And congratulations. You blew it off."

Baekhyun stared at Henry. Seems like he's sincere.

"I'm serious. I'm so sorry," Henry apologized.

Baekhyun smiled and shook his hand, "Thanks."

Henry hugged Baekhyun for awhile, giving him a pat on the back before he left.


 

When the auditorium was cleared out, Baekhyun made his way to the exit. He was worn-out from all the greetings and small-talks. Just then, someone from behind backhugged him.

He froze to his spot and touched the soft hands that enclosed him.

"You're back," Taeyeon said.

Baekhyun breathed heavily. He let go of Taeyeon's hands and faced her. "Of course I am."

"I hate you. You didn't even text me or something. I was worried about you. Because..."

"Because of last time? Don't worry. Henry and I are okay now. But I don't think we're okay. For that, I'm sorry for all the trouble I caused," Baekhyun cut her off and apologized.

"It's okay. It was some kind of incident that would just pass. Anyway, you did really great. You were amazing back there. I knew you could do it," Taeyeon said.

Baekhyun smiled. "I just tried my luck. I wouldn't want Seohyun-ssi to worry, either."

"So, are you ready for the big event?" Taeyeon asked him.

"Not really," Baekhyun replied.

"I have something important to tell you after the Film Fest. I hope you have some time," Taeyeon informed him.

"What would that be?"

"It's something really really important."


 

[A/N]: IT TOOK ME ONE...NO, TWO DAYS TO THINK ABOUT THIS UPDATE. I'LL BE STARTING MY COLLEGE LIFE IN A MONTH OR SO...SO PLEASE EXPECT A GRAND FINALE SOON. T^T I KNOW IT BUT EVERY STORY HAS AN ENDING, WHETHER IT'S HAPPY OR NOT. /SOBS

NOW TELL ME HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT THIS CHAPPIE.