Prologue

Who Are You?

"yah, look, to your left," my best friend GaEun slightly tilted her head in the direction. "What do you think. 1-10?"

Chewing a piece of spicy rice cake, I peered over. A fashionable man in his early 20s sat in a corner alone on his phone.

"Meh. His clothes are alright but his face is only 6," I replied. Anyone can look nice with the right clothes. 

"That's why you're still single, Sia. You've gotta lower your standards a little." She sighed. I shrugged and stabbed another piece of ddukbokki. I don't think its my standards though....

Well, I think he's 7 or an 8. What do you think? Should I go ask for his number?" GaEun said with a flip of her hair. Yup, she always have been that way. Flirting with every decent boy she saw, but quite successfully thanks to her visuals.

"Come on, you can do better! You're Kim GaEun!" I said with my mouth full.

She flipped her hair and patted her face. 

"That's true," she said, batting her eyelashes.

Ding!

I glanced at my phone. A message from Lee JinRi, it said. I swiped to the right to see the mesage.

 

JinRi: Hey, any plans tonite?

Sia: well, im eating with GaEun right now...

JinRi: i have an extra ticket to a fashion show, interested?

 

Wait. Fashion show? My eyes widened and I imagined all the trendy clothes and shoes I'll see, all the beautiful models, all the important people that'll be there...I shook out of it and immediately replied.

 

Sia: Call! I meet u at home in 30!

Jinri: see u

 

I smiled, my first fashion show! Jinri is my cousin and next door neighbor. Since we grew up together, we're naturally very close. But since she's a couple years older there's still a small so rather than a best friend relationship, it's more of a unni/dongsaeng one. She's always taking me to interesting places from my first concert to now my first fashion show.

"Yah, are you even listening? Who are you texting?" GaEun asked, pointing her chopsticks at me.

I put my phone down and said, "Jinri just texted me, asked me if I wanted to go to a fashion show with her..."

"No way, you're leaving me alone again?" She scowled. I gathered my stuff and stood up.

"Sorry! But hey, maybe you talk to that cutie over there," I nodded in the direction of the guy she waa checking out.


I glanced at the mirror. Perfect! I admired my perfectly drawn eyeliner. I had to rush to get ready in 15 minutes but still managed to look fine.

Ding-dong!

Ah! Must be Jinri! I grabbed by handbag and rushed to get the door.When I opened it, a slim woman in her mid-twenties stood before me. She wore a chic black dress with simple black pumps.

"Ready?" She said. 

"Just a minute!" I slipped on my oxfords and walked out to meet her. 

When we were in the car, I learned that her friend will be hosting the show tonight and we might go backstage to see her.

"..which reminds me, Sia, why don't I have her introduce you to a modeling agent there? It hurts me to see your good looks go to waste." Jinri sighed. People have always told me how pretty I am and I should be a model but I figured if I really were that pretty, I would have been scouted ages ago. Besides, I have a fear of tripping in front of a large audience.

"...I don't know, I want to see how a real fashion show is like first." I replied.