Chapter 03

The Difference

Every day was hectic for her. She works all day and all night long. She needs money for herself. Making money was hard, that’s why she gives everything to her work. Work is really hard but it is even harder because of her mad boss. Her boss was a unmarried woman who talks a lot when there is no customer. She bickers the same thing over and over again.

“Hey. Go to this place. Deliver this!” Her boss hollered and she quickly put on her helmet and made her way to the exit. She read the address and blinked. “Oh. The billiard floor. I wonder if she made friends again.” She smiled and set her scooter on start.

She placed her scooter on the corner and made her way to the entrance. She noticed a boy behind her while she’s taking the stairs. “Do you want help?” The boy with big eyes asked her, referring to the bags of the delivery. “Uh. No. I can manage. Thank you.” She smiled and bowed. “Okay. Good night.” The boy smiled and walked further from her leaving her in shock. Do I look really miserable? She thought.

She stepped on the billiard floor and looked around. She saw the big-eyed guy from earlier. “Oh it’s you! Is Mr. Park Chanyeol here?” She looked at him and he gave her a nod. “Hello! You ordered 1 garlic and 1 honey chicken with 4 up-sized drinks.” She checked the paper and smiled. She put the bags on the table and put down the bill. The tall man gave her the payment.  “Thank you Sir! Enjoy your meal!” She bowed and walked towards the exit. With one last glance on the hole on the ceiling she walked towards the stairs.

 

Monday came. It means school. She has classes to attend. In class, it’s just like the same with work, hard work is the key. She’s not that smart. She’s just average. She knows when to review and not. She’s not really studying at school. She studies at home because it is convenient there. No noises. No bickering. Just, silence.

After her classes, she walked to the shop for her night duty. Her classmates know what her job is. They always when they are eating at the resto. She just walks with her eyes on the ground and hopes that someone will order for delivery.

It’s already 8 in the evening when someone walked to the shop. She heard the bells rang and she quickly sat up straight on her place. A boy sat on the corner reading the menu placed on the table. She saw her boss staring at her. “What are you doing there? Assist the customer!” She shouted in low volume. She quickly stand up and walked to the corner to see the boy.

It may look weird but the boy is kinda familiar. Is he my classmate? She thought. She hung her head low and approached the boy. “May I take your order sir?” She said. “Hhm. Give me one bulgogi and two orders of kimbap. For takeout.” The boy said, his voice is so familiar so she looked up a bit.

“Oh! You’re also a helper here? I thought you’re a delivery girl. You must be working hard.” The boy said with a big smile on his face. It’s the boy from the stairs. “By the way, my name is Kyungsoo.” The big-eyed boy offered his hand and she gladly shook it. She smiled at him. When he’s about to ask something she quickly removed her hand from his. “I’m going to give your order to my boss. Just wait for a moment!” She walked away leaving the boy in disappointment. He wants her name in exchange.

She gave the order to her boss. “Boss. It’s for takeout.” Her boss began to make the order. “Go clean the tables. We’re going to close soon. I’m going to give this to the customer so don’t bother. Go.” Her boss said. She made her way to the tables and began wiping it. She also wiped the mirrors and windows. While she is moping the floor she heard a ‘psst’ behind her. She looked around just to see the big-eyed guy smiling at her. She gave him a questionable look and he beckon asking her to come closer to him. She walked slowly to him and stare at him. “Do you need help with something?” She asked.

“Yes. I need help with something.” He smiled. “What is it?” She replied while clenching her hands on the mop handle. “I need help to know your name.” The big-eyed guy said. “I already gave you my name without any hesitation, my name is Kyungsoo. How about you?” Kyungsoo said, give her a slight frown.

“Uh. My name?” She slowly said. “Yes. Your name. Do I need to sing SHINee’s song Your Name? Or to dance 4Minute’s What’s Your Name?” Kyungsoo smiled. She doesn’t know what she’s going to do in this kind of situation. It’s the first time someone asked for her name. She bit her lip. She likes to give her name but he is a complete stranger. She’s an average but she knows that giving your name to strangers is quite complicated. But, that Kyungsoo boy looks great and fine. When she’s about to open to give Kyungsoo her name, her boss snapped.

“Sir. This is your order. Enjoy!” Her boss said, handling the bag to Kyungsoo. “Hey. Clean the kitchen, we’re about to close.” Her boss commanded. She bowed to her boss and to Kyungsoo who looked so cute back there. She walked quickly to kitchen and closed the door. Kyungsoo looked at her disappearing presence, hearing the kitchen door closed. He gave the money to her boss.

He walked away from the resto and scratch his head in frustration. “I looked so desperate back there. I just really want to know her name. Just, her name.” He sighed while walking down the street. I’m sure, I’m going to visit that restaurant, frequently. He smiled.