Idiot

Black Rose Confessions

xi. Idiot

 

     Chanyeol had never considered himself to be an idiot.
 
     He had always thought of himself to be more of a happy-go-lucky kind of guy. The type that would waltz their way through life without a single worry or care, who let the past sit quietly in the past and had little regard to the future, never minding the things the world could throw at him next.
 
     Unfortunately for him, other people didn’t exactly share the same sentiment, and his grades didn’t exactly support his theory either. His life mostly consisted of mild teasing, the occasional often distraught sigh, and the popular tagline used by most- if not all- of his classmates, “Chanyeol, you idiot.”
 
     Chanyeol had thought hopefully that maybe moving schools would be a new start for him, a fresh blank page where he could be the cool one for once and others didn’t think of him to be such a screw up. But those dreams were quickly tossed out of the window when his first few hours at Seuta High consisted of him painfully and awkwardly stuttering through his name while introducing himself to his class and tripping over his own two feet while making his way to his desk while everyone silently judged him.
 
     Like always though, his clumsiness seemed to come with a sort of charm, and within his first few hours at his new high school, he already managed to catch himself a small group of friends.
 
     Though he was positive they regretted befriending him, it was far too late to take back their friendship. Fast-forwarding to more than a month later, he was in the library, happily tapping his pencils away on the worktables as if they were drums.
 
     “Chanyeol, you idiot.” He heard again, probably for the fifth or sixth time that day. Chanyeol felt a sharp jab on his cheek. “Concentrate on your work for once. Your barely passing functions as it is. Any lower and you’ll be failing.”
 
     It was a good friend of his, Namjoon, who was trying to coax him, in vain, into studying.
 
     Namjoon was probably the smartest one out of their tiny group of friends. He had an average of ninety six percent, the third highest mark in the entire grade and was the captain of the school’s senior math club as well as the district member of the tech team.
 
     Chanyeol was baffled when he first found out about his intellect though, because despite his genius, the two had met when Namjoon fell down half a flight of stairs, scattered his papers all over the hallway and completely shattered his glasses.
 
     “Hey, be easy on him, okay?” His other friend, Jooheon, interrupted, “I’m sure he’s not doing that badly in math class. I mean, look at my marks.”
 
     Jooheon was another one of his good friends. Chanyeol believed that he was the closest with him because of their similar personalities. Jooheon was everything Chanyeol aspired to be; carefree, fun and undeniably cool. He was surprised he would want to hand around an idiotic nobody like himself.
 
     “Listen, if I don’t hand in my work assignment next class, I’m seriously screwed.” His last friend, Wonshik muttered grumpily. “Can you guys help me with it or not? It’s like, at least three weeks late.”
 
     If there were anyone who was more of an airhead than Chanyeol, it would be Wonshik. While he was actually quite smart, he was just horrendously forgetful and was always more preoccupied with his various sports teams and his slam-poetry club.
 
     “It’s not our fault you forgot to hand in your assignment again.” Namjoon grumbled under his breath after letting out an exasperated sigh, “Why would you even take a course on Korean history if you didn’t like it?”
 
     “Dude, Jihyun’s in that class! Did you really think I was going to pass up an opportunity to be in a class with her?” Wonshik replied back, making exaggerated eyebrow movements.
 
    Namjoon rolled his eyes. “Of course you would do something like that.”
 
     Chanyeol, not paying attention at all to the conversation, continued to tap the desk like a snare drum. He was so preoccupied; in fact, he didn’t see when Namjoon reached over to hit him on the back of the head.
 
     “Ow!” Chanyeol yelled, getting another hit from Namjoon. “What was that for?”
 
     “You’re not paying attention! And hush, your going to get us kicked out.” Namjoon spoke miserably back.
 
     “Great, now look what you did,” Chanyeol grumbled, “I can’t find my other pencil. I think it flew out of my hand somewhere.”
 
     “Well, you better go find it then.” Namjoon said, turning back to his book.
 
     With a scowl, Chanyeol got up from his seat and clumsily went down on all fours. If the pencil was anywhere, it would be on the floor. But, after crawling around the library for ten minutes (and looking extremely stupid, as per usual, while doing so) he tiredly stopped in front of a table with a sigh.
 
     “What the heck,” Chanyeol muttered to himself. “Where could it be?”
 
     “Hey, you elephant ears, is this what you’re looking for?” A somewhat sweet sounding voice called out to him, not matching the words being said whatsoever.
 
    Chanyeol heard, and instinctively lifted his head.
 
     The first thing that caught his eyes was the person’s hand. They were neat and well maintained, each nail filed to perfection. Pretty, Chanyeol thought. He then slowly trailed his eyes up to gaze into a pair of eyes that drooped slightly at the corners. The other student held his pencil out in front of him in a bored manner.
 
     “Uhm, yeah. Thanks.” Chanyeol muttered meekly, not knowing what else to say to the boy in from of him. The aura that surrounded the stranger was a perplexingly oppressing one.
 
     He also noticed that the other student wasn’t following dress code, and instead was sporting a bomber jacket over top of his school uniform. The fingers of the other hand of the student was creating a quick staccato against the study table in an annoyed fashion.
 
     Sitting beside him were two undeniably attractive students dressed in a similar manner, and were examining him curiously. As soon as he lifted his head, he could hear their whispers. Chanyeol had never felt more judged and exposed in his entire life.
 
     “Be more careful with your belongings next time. You wouldn’t want to lose anything.” The boy said, dropping the pencil back into his hand. Even though he smiled, Chanyeol could help but to feel cautious around the other as the feeling emanating from him hinted at being hostile.
 
     Chanyeol quickly crawled his way back to his seat after giving the other boy an awkward smile back. His friends hadn’t even seemed to notice him go missing at all and were still caught up with their bickering.
 
“Hey, hey,” he rapped on Namjoon’s shoulder, pointing in the other students’ direction, “Who’s that kid over there? The one wearing the bomber jacket with the two girls.”
 
     The three boys all lifted their heads and immediately fell silent. It was like a wave of fear was washing over them.
 
     “Keep your finger down. Don’t point in his direction.” Namjoon urgently whispered, smacking Chanyeol’s hand.
 
     “What, why? What are you talking about?” Chanyeol immediately lowered his eyes, leaning in closer to his group of friends. “All I asked was who he was.”
 
     The three boys all looked at each other tentatively, as if deciding whether or not to speak, before Jooheon finally opened his mouth.
 
     “Listen, there’s a lot of ... unsettling rumours about that kid, Byun Baekhyun. In his first year he was new to the neighbourhood. He got popular real quickly, and then, all of a sudde,” Jooheon’s eyebrows knitted slightly before he continued. “People started to get scared of him. They say he can make anyone do anything and everything he wants.”
 
     “I heard from someone that all of his friends call him a rose and that he runs an afterschool club cult or something.” Wonshik added. “And then, some dude told me that one time this kid on the baseball team tried to leave his little clique and ended up with a broken wrist. Couldn’t play for the rest of the season.”
 
     “Listen, we shouldn’t be spreading rumours.” Namjoon interjected firmly, abruptly ending the conversation. “I think I heard the first bell anyways. We should start going.”
 
     The four of them began to pack of quickly, leaving the library in a silent, hurried place. But Chanyeol made sure to take a single look back before he did.
 
     As he turned back, he could see the boy, Baekhyun, staring directly at him.
 
     Even though Chanyeol quickly turned back around, he was sure he could feel Baekhyun’s eyes burning a whole through the back of his head. He could feel see his empty stare.
 
     Somehow, Chanyeol felt intrigued.
 
 
     A week had passed since Chanyeol’s strange encounter in the library and he couldn’t seem to get it out of his head.
 
     Whenever he tried to bring it up with his friends, they ignored him or changed the subject, and since the one time he saw him in the library, Chanyeol hadn’t seen Baekhyun anywhere else in the school other than the cafeteria. It was like they didn’t even go to the same schools.
 
     Was it true he was running a secret afterschool club? Did he really have all of that power everyone was talking about? Was he really such a bad person? All he wanted were answers to his many unanswered questions. He couldn’t see how such an innocent face could be cruel.
 
     At lunch, Chanyeol was alone for the first time in a long time. Namjoon had a math tournament and was away all day, Wonshik had to finish one of his many assignments and Jooheon had, in his words, a “hot date” with a girl in his Chemistry class.
 
     He spent his lunchtime mostly wandering through the school, exploring all of the places he hadn’t been yet and trying avoiding awkward encounters. He eventually stopped his adventure to take a small treat from the vending machine. But, as usual, life decided to be cruel.
 
     “C’mon you stupid thing!” Chanyeol kicked the machine. “Give me my drink! I used the last of my change! All I want is my yogurt drink, I swear I’ll …”
 
     Chanyeol slowly let his sentence trail off as he heard the slow steps of another person stop right in front of him. He turned around to see Baekhyun, standing in another bomber jacket and looking up at him with another blank stare.
 
     “U-Uhm ... ” Chanyeol stuttered nervously. “The machine isn’t working. T-technology, you know. Not always reliable, ha ha.”
 
     He gave out a very awkward sounding laugh. Despite convincing himself he wasn’t afraid, Chanyeol couldn’t help to feel just a tinge of fear.
 
     Baekhyun stood idly for a few moments, as if waiting for Chanyeol to do something. After a few minutes of staring in silence, Baekhyun let out a smile that looked more displeased than happy.
 
     “You’re kind of in my way,” he said with a sharp movement of his hands to the side.
 
     Chanyeol quickly scrambled to the side as Baekhyun moved forward.
 
     “U-Uhm, actually,” Chanyeol began stuttering again. “It kind of ate my money. I don’t think it’s really working or anything.”
 
     Baekhyun, with the same unimpressed look on his face, press of number sequence on the keypad, and in the matter of a couple seconds, two drinks fell out into the tray.
 
     Baekhyun quickly snatched both of them off and began to walk away before abruptly Chanyeol interrupted his escape.
 
     “H-Hey, I think one of those drinks are mine? I mean the machine did eat my money, so I would think … “ Chanyeol let his voice trail off again as Baekhyun quickly whipped his head around, giving him the same blank stare from before.
 
      For a moment, in a strange way, he looked shocked.
 
     “Listen, Chanyeol is it?” Baekhyun said to him in his normal sweet tone. “Sorry, I must have forgotten or something.”
 
     Baekhyun stuck it out towards Chanyeol, offering it to him.
 
     Chanyeol stood for a couple of seconds, as if trying to process what was happening, before finally taking the drink that he was being given. “Yeah. Thanks.”
 
     “No problem. You know what, actually … ” He stopped and placed his finger on his chin in a child-like matter to think. “I can treat you afterschool today. Because I feel bad.”
 
     Chanyeol began one of his stuttering sentences again, “R-Really? B-But, I – ”
 
     “You have band, right? That’s fine. Just meet me here afterschool. Okay?” Baekhyun said with he signature smile, and just like that, he turned around and left, leaving Chanyeol to think about what had just happened.
 
 
     Chanyeol thought that speaking with Baekhyun would help him understand more about him, but their encounter that afternoon had left him even more confused than before. He had so many more questions. Like how did Baekhyun know his name? And know that he had band afterschool?
 
     And why had he even listened to him in the first place? Chanyeol had come back to the vending machine after school like he had been told, and had almost been waiting fifteen minutes for a boy he had literally just spoken to that afternoon.
 
     He wanted to tell his friends everything, but after their all of their warnings, he didn’t want to be scolded for doing something so silly, and really, what was the worse that could happen at this point?
 
     So, like an obedient puppy, he stood and stayed.
 
     He waited for another five minutes and was about to leave when he heard pair of feet walking down the vacant hallway.
 
     He instinctively lifted his head up but only saw two tall boys walking down in his direction. He could tell there were students because of the distinctive Seuta High crest over top of their school uniform, but quickly noticed that one of them had on jeans instead of the usual uniform slacks and noted that they must have been one of Baekhyun’s friends, the one in his “clique.”
 
     The atmosphere became heavy, almost stifling, as Chanyeol saw them make their way towards him. They should have just looked like regular any day students, but with the dim lightning and uneasy ambience, they looked terrifying.
 
     “Are you … Park Chanyeol?” One of them, the taller one, asked. They gave him a look that sent shivers down his spine.
 
     After swallowing the growing lump in his throat, he meekly responded with a lopsided smile.
 
     “Yeah, Park Chanyeol. It’s a pleasure.” He croaked out, offering a hand to shake.
 
     Without warning, the second student grabbed a hold of Chanyeol hands and pinned his forearms onto his back. Chanyeol felt a wave of panic wash over him.
 
     “Hey, what are you doing? I-I don’t have any money. I swear, I used the last of it on the vending machine.” Chanyeol said in alarm, trying to fight back against his restraints, but the other boy had a strong grip.
 
     “This isn’t about money.” The boy keeping his arms pinned to his back.
 
      Chanyeol didn’t even have time to reply before he felt the first hit to his stomach. He was taken aback by the punch, the air leaving his lungs almost immediately.
 
     Before he could even gasp, a following blow landed itself on his chest. Plain exploded from the two areas, and Chanyeol was still reeling from shock. He attempted to push his assailants away, but one of the boys grabbed his collar and brought him even closer.
 
     The other boy put a hand on his friend’s shoulder, “Remember what he said, no visible marks.”
Brushing his partners hand off and sending a malevolent smirk to Chanyeol, he spat onto his face. Before he could even express his outrage, the other boy threw him forcefully onto the ground. The taller of the two attackers pinned Chanyeol down and grabbing his hair, banged his head onto the roadside concrete. A wave of nausea and pain washed through Chanyeol, but they weren’t done with him yet, delivering several kicks to his stomach.
 
     As he lay pinned to the floor, he heard someone stooping down in front of him.
 
     Chanyeol managed to push his head up far enough to see the supposedly sweet smile of Baekhyun. He was holding another yogurt drink in his hand and staring down at Chanyeol with a look didn’t look as blank as before. He looked excited.
 
     “Park Chanyeol.” Baekhyun said casually despite the circumstances, “I don’t think you know how things work around here at Seuta, so I’ll cut you some slack, but...” He leaned down a little further before continuing. “A tip for the future? Try to be a little smarter next time, Park Chanyeol. You should know who you’re talking too. Maybe listen to yours friends a bit more. ”
 
     Chanyeol couldn’t respond. He could feel his whole body shaking as he wheezed out. The whole room looked like it was spinning. His stomach began to turn. He could taste copper in his mouth as a trickle of blood rolling down the side of his jaw.
 
    Baekhyun huffed a little seeing Chanyeol was unable to respond and stood back up fully, brushing off his jeans. He just barely turned, profile surrounded by darkness, to leave one last message.
 
     “Park Chanyeol, never speak to me again.”
 
     And with that, he was off, and Chanyeol was left on the ground.
 
     Chanyeol had never felt so completely alone before in his entire life.
 
 
     It was hard to not get stares in the hallways.
 
     In the morning Chanyeol knew what pain was, his body was screaming at him. Soreness and pain made it difficult for him to even get out of bed. He sported countless bruises that littered his chest and stomach. His entire body ached with pain.
 
     Convincing his parents that he was okay had been an easy feat, but he knew that convincing everyone at school would not be so easy. He wanted to tell someone, anyone what had happened, but he knew that he couldn’t. He would be asking for more.
 
     But, as he made his way down the hallway, it was as if everybody knew already where the bruises had come from. No one commented on them. Everyone pretended that they hadn’t existed. And well, the teachers couldn’t see them, not that Chanyeol wanted them to. The atmosphere suddenly felt a lot heavier than normal.
 
     At lunch, he was alone again. Because he had already learned his lesson wandering the school hallways, he instead decided to sit in the lunchroom. He was at a table in the corner, far from everyone else. They all seemed to avoid him like the plague.
 
     Right in the middle of the cafeteria was Baekhyun’s table. He sat right in the middle of the table, surrounded by popular members of sports teams, the rich children and other pretty faces like himself. Chanyeol could see him laughing with one of the girls from yesterday and another muscular jock. He kind of looked like the one that had beat him up yesterday.
 
     Chanyeol sat with his ear buds placed loosely into his ears, giving others the illusion he was listening to music. He was instead trying to hear drifting conversations from other tables. The gossip had been heavy recently, and he wanted to know what was going on. And he wanted to know more about Baekhyun.
 
     As he continued to listen, he could only hear topics he didn’t care about. One guy was raving loudly about how pretty he thought one girl was to his group of friends, two girls were talking about a kid who went missing, the two teacher supervisors were quietly chattering about an almost fatal incident that happened at a near-by school. Nothing was about Baekhyun.
 
     Or at least that’s what he thought until he heard the almost silent whisper of two guys sitting behind him.
 
     “He owes Baekhyun a lot. Five, no, six hundred this time? I think he’s going to get into a lot of trouble this round. He doesn’t like to wait. ”
 
     “You think? I mean, he’s let people off the hook before. Remember that one kid, what’s was his name …”
 
     “Hey, he didn’t beat up that tall kid as half as badly as he could’ve. Maybe, he’ll have a change of heart?”
 
     The two snickered at his statement, and went back to talking about video games and homework that was due.
 
     It was like everyone was scared of Baekhyun. People couldn’t even say his name out loud without whispering it. But Chanyeol couldn’t see him that way. For some strange reason, Chanyeol felt like there was a better side to him, like he wasn’t all he said he was.
 
     He wanted to be the one to change him.
 
 
     Chanyeol stood patiently by the hallway. The only illumination was the flickering glow of the vending machine and the only sounds were his heavy breathing.
 
     It was probably his third or fourth time this week there. From their encounter at the vending machine, Chanyeol had managed to make it become one thing after another. Smiling at him in the hallways, talking to him in the library, buying him yogurt drinks. All things that only made Baekhyun angrier at him.
 
     It was much later than last couple time. He had just stood, leaning against the wall, for what felt like hours on end. Part of him wanted to leave, but the threat from Baekhyun had been engraved into his mind.
 
     And the other part of him was interested. He wanted to know what would happen.
 
     As the hours past, Chanyeol stood frozen in place. He watched as people passed him in the halls, all people who didn’t speak a single word. He could tell that they knew why he was there.
 
     It was until half an hour more Chanyeol could hear another person pass by. Hearing their footsteps were soft, he didn’t think anything of it. It was definitely not the heavy footsteps of the two that had beat him up, so he wasn’t bothered.
 
     “Park Chanyeol.” A familiar voice called him to attention.
 
     Chanyeol looked up to face Baekhyun.
 
     He looked highly unamused by Chanyeol’s presence, “You did stay this time.”
 
     “You didn’t bring the other two today? Does that mean I’m not going to get beat up? The last time I got a few good ones. You can probably tell though.” Chanyeol said casually, giving him a lopsided smile.
 
     Baekhyun suddenly grabbed the taller student by the collar of his uniform. “Listen to me, Park Chanyeol. I don’t think you understand how things work around here. We are not friends. You don’t just walk up and speak to me. Aren’t you getting sick of this?”
 
     “Hey, has anyone ever told you you’re not very intimidating by yourself?” Chanyeol interrupted. “In fact, actually look kind of friendly if you stare long enough. You also really tiny.”
 
     Baekhyun almost immediately let go of his collar, his face showing surprise. It was clear he wasn’t used to being talked back to; it caught him off guard.
 
     “I don’t think you’re as scary as everyone says, Byun Baekhyun.” Chanyeol added.
 
     Baekhyun stood with his eyebrows furrowed for a few moments. “There’s a reason people say what they say.” A grin filled with venom and danger played upon his lips, and Chanyeol felt a chill run down his spine.
 
     Then, with a glare, he turned his back to the taller student and stormed off, not saying another word.
 
 
     A week past without any word from Baekhyun.
 
     School went on as it normally did. Baekhyun still refused to wear his uniform and glared at him every time he entered a room, and everyone was still afraid. But Chanyeol still couldn’t see why.
 
      He hadn’t had the guts to tell any of his friends what had happened yet. Chanyeol thought that maybe, Baekhyun had forgotten all about their little encounters afterschool. That was, until, he heard a voice call out to him in the cafeteria.
 
     “Park Chanyeol!” Baekhyun called out to him from across the lunchroom at his usual seat in the center of the room.
 
     The room suddenly grew quiet. It was like all the eyes in the entire school were on him.
 
     He swallowed the lump in his throat, looking back once at his group of friends that looked as shocked as he did. He slowly made his way to the center table, all of the people from Baekhyun’s table’s eyes slowly trailing him as he did.
 
     “Park, sit.” Baekhyun demanded, referencing to the seat beside him.
 
     “Where?” Chanyeol asked, confused. Beside him sat the pretty girl that was usually there and another tall male student. Both were both looking up at Chanyeol with cold eyes.
 
     Baekhyun whipped his head over to the male student beside him and he almost immediately stood up.
 
     “Here. Take the seat.” The student muttered. “I was just leaving.”
 
     Baekhyun grabbed Chanyeol by the end of his uniform jacket and pulled him down roughly into the seat just as the other student made his way to the end of the table.
 
     “Listen, Park. I was thinking the other day.” Baekhyun’s face fell a little as he spoke, “And I really think we started off on the wrong foot. And maybe I was being a little bit too harsh on you.”
 
     Chanyeol blinked twice. “You … Y-You do?”
 
     “Yeah, I do. Which is why I want to make it up to you.” Baekhyun said with confidence and a smile. “From now on, you sit with me. You know, so you’re not so much of a loser. I can see potential in you.”
 
      “What?” Chanyeol asked. His question seemed to portray the confusion of all of the others sitting at the table, which also turned their heads towards him.
 
     “Yeah, and you can even bring one of your … friends. Like that one freak kid Namjoon?“ Baekhyun seemed to be forcing the words out of his mouth.
 
     Chanyeol’s face seemed to brighten up just a little, but he had a horrible premonition that he couldn’t shake off. “Really? Are you sure this, because I-”
 
     “I’m absolutely sure.” Baekhyun said in a more serious tone, cutting him off mid-sentence. “Listen, sit with me from now on. You can become one of the family, Park. We could use someone as positive and stupid as you over here.”
 
     Chanyeol tried to speak again. “Baekhyun, that’s nice but I have other friends waiting for me and I’m not sure I exactly … “
 
     “Other friends? Oh, that’s fine. I can take care of that for you. So sit.” Baekhyun reassured him in tone that sounded dead and empty.
 
     After their conversation, Baekhyun quickly turned his head to someone else to talk. Chanyeol looked back at his group of friends, none of who were paying attention expect for Namjoon who had a strange expression on his face.
 
     He looked scared.
 
 
     Chanyeol and Namjoon quietly walked down the pathway to their houses. It was gloomy and dark outside and the rain was coming down heavily. Chanyeol held a sleek navy umbrella above his head. Baekhyun had given it to him right before he left.
 
     It had been only a couple of days since Baekhyun had invited him to sit with his group, but he felt like it had been years on end.
 
     Baekhyun was nice to him. Way too nice and a little too protective. If Chanyeol mentioned that he wanted something, he would buy it for him. If he needed something done, he would send someone to do it for him. It was like he being treated like royalty.
 
     And even though it might not be true, in some way, Chanyeol hoped that Baekhyun had changed. He wanted to know, but his eyes were always so blank and desolate of emotion, he could never tell what he was feeling. Was he even happy?
 
     Even all the others in the school treated him nicely, popular or not, and many of Baekhyun’s friends suddenly became his too. Kids that hadn’t even looked in his direction before now talked to him all the time. It felt weird.
 
     Ever since that day, he hadn’t seen Wonshik or Jooheon either. They didn’t sit in the lunchroom, and whenever he texted or called them, neither of them responded. The only person who was left was Namjoon, who sat at the end of the table during lunch.
 
      Namjoon finally broke the silence during their walk home, “Listen, Chanyeol. I want to talk to you about Baekhyun. I think I should tell you something about him.”
 
      Chanyeol lifted his head in notice.
 
      “But listen to me.” Namjoon glanced behind him quickly before speaking again, “You cannot tell anyone I told you this, okay? Not Jooheon or Wonshik. No one. Okay?”
 
      Chanyeol nodded in understanding, listening intently.
 
      “Listen, one time Baekhyun had this girlfriend, back in first year. Her name was Chorong and I was a good friend to her. They started dating out of the blue. They were cutesy together in the hallways, they were kissy wherever they went, and they skipped classes often, the usual thing.”
 
      Chanyeol dipped his head in acknowledgement and watched Namjoon’s eyes turn dark.
 
      “Then, over the winter break, she came to my house late at night in tears. She told me Baekhyun kept getting into these … moods. He had fits where he would get really angry. But she told me not to tell anyone. And I didn’t. Winter break ended and nobody could find her anywhere.”
 
      Chanyeol’s eyebrows crinkled as the story progressed.
 
      “They found her body when break ended. Swinging from a noose in the girl’s change room. The police said it was suicide, but they never investigated. I knew her Chanyeol. I don’t think she would ever just … kill herself like that.”
 
      “What are you trying to say?” Chanyeol said, his voice dripping with concern as they slowed down, reaching the front of Namjoon’s house.
 
      “I’m just saying … Chanyeol, be safe. I don’t trust him.” Namjoon told him before waving goodbye and walking into his house.
 
      Chanyeol swallowed a lump in his throat. Even though he thought he knew who Baekhyun was, he knew know that he really didn’t know who he was.
 
      So why did he still trust him so much?
 
 
      Chanyeol was waiting for Baekhyun in his usual spot.
 
      He had been told to wait after school again today, but he was nervous. It was a Friday, and he was told to wait because he had something to do, but there were no clubs on the last school day of the week, and he was sure he wasn’t going to be beat up again.
 
      But Chanyeol trusted Baekhyun, so he waited patiently.
 
      While waiting, he heard the sound of two familiar voices.
 
      Chanyeol excitedly raised his head and called out to his friends. “Jooheon, Wonshik!”
 
      The two looked over at Chanyeol, a panic expressed on both of their faces. They both glanced at each other briefly before continuing to walk, this time at a faster pace.
 
      Chanyeol didn’t understand the concept of being ignored, so he quickly chased them down, “Hey, wait up you too! I haven’t seen you each in forever.”
 
      Wonshik and Jooheon both continued to stay silent, looking down on the ground. With their necks bent, he could see near identical bruises creeping up from their back to their back. If you weren’t paying attention, it would’ve been unnoticed.
 
      “H-Hey.” Chanyeol said with worry, happiness fading, “What’s wrong?”
 
      “Listen, Chanyeol. We can’t speak to you right now.” Wonshik muttered, trying to pull Jooheon along. “We’ll get in trouble if he sees us speaking to you, so please … “
 
     “If who sees you? What do you mean?” Chanyeol said with increasing concern.
 
      “Look, we’re sorry Chanyeol. But we can’t.” Jooheon mumbled, tone urgent.
 
      As footsteps were heard coming down the end of the hallway, both Jooheon and Wonshik continued to walk, pretending they hadn’t seen him.
 
      “Park!” Baekhyun’s voice called out to him from down the hall. “Park Chanyeol!”
 
      Chanyeol turned to see Baekhyun happily walking down the hallway, waving him over.
 
      “Park Chanyeol, why do you look so sad? Did you do something stupid again?” Baekhyun told him with a pat on the back. “Eh, it’s okay anyways. I have something that will make you feel better. I was going to make you wait outside, but there’s something I want you to see.”
 
      “See?” Chanyeol inquired.
 
      Baekhyun giggled slightly in response and began to take hold of the sleeve of his jacket. Baekhyun quietly lead Chanyeol down a long string of hallways until they finally reached a large room with covered windows and a locked door.
 
     “What is this?” Chanyeol asked in curiosity.
 
      Baekhyun didn’t response. Instead he tugged out a key from around his neck and bent down and unlocked the door. In one single motion, he pulled open the door and nudged Chanyeol inside.
 
      Inside the room there was a huge circular table in the center of the room with chairs filled with various people. The room was dimly lit so it was hard to see who was there. A lot of people Chanyeol recognized to be the ones that regularly sat at the table. Some others were students he had never seen before, or ones that usually tried to keep themselves hidden. One student in particular stood out to him.
 
      Sitting to the left of the middle chair sat Namjoon. Namjoon lifted his head slightly to look up at Chanyeol before quickly turning his head down, as if ashamed.
 
      Chanyeol stood astonished. The bad feeling came back and his stomach turned. “Baekhyun, what is this place?”
 
      Baekhyun smiled and closed the door behind him swiftly.
 
      “Park Chanyeol, welcome to the club.”
 
-------
 
a/n: Hello!
 
It's been a while since the last update. I'm sorry, school has been a pain in my behind ... (〃 ̄ω ̄〃ゞ
 
Don't worry though, the next chapter will certainly be out faster!
 
As always, a big thank you to my amazing editor @HappyPistachio! 
 
And thank you for reading! Until next time! (人・㉨・)♡