Puppy Love

Puppy Love

“Lee Taeyon.”

Taeyon froze at the sound of her name; a feeling of utter dread overtaking her body.

“,” Jonghyun whispered, his breath ghosting against her face as he sat back on the couch they were sitting on.

Taeyon gripped the edges of his open button-up, not allowing him to move away too far. Her heart was beating so loudly in her chest that she almost missed her brother’s angry words.

“You have two minutes or so help me, I will come back in here and rip off his .”

Jonghyun gulped loudly and Taeyon leaned her head against his shoulder. The door slammed behind Jinki as he exited the room and she exhaled the breath she hadn’t realized she’d been holding.

“, Taeyon. ,” Jonghyun said, making to stand up but she refused to move. Couldn’t move. Taeyon found herself frozen in place and clinging to Jonghyun for dear life.

“Come on, Tae,” he said, kissing her hair and gripping her thighs softly. “Tae, I’d really like to keep my , so if you don’t mind…”

She nodded at his plea and moved off of his lap, sitting on the couch next to him. Now free from her grip, Jonghyun began to move frantically, buttoning up his shirt and zipping his pants.

“Taeyon, come on. Put your pants back on at least, please.”

“Thirty seconds!” Jinki yelled from the hallway, causing them both to scramble for her pants and discarded shirt.

Taeyon barely had her shirt pulled over her head before the door slammed open, knocking forcefully into the wall.

“Get out!” Jinki roared, lunging into the room and grabbing the shorter man’s arm and forcefully shoving him into the hallway.

Taeyon followed after the pair, embarrassed to find her brother’s girlfriend Gwiboon sitting at the kitchen table, casually sipping on some tea. The older girl caught the younger’s eye and gave her a sympathetic look before the loud sounds of Jinki yelling reached them once again.

“I can’t believe I trusted you!”

“Jinki-hyung, it’s not what you think. Well maybe it is. I don’t know, I just thought-“

“What? You just thought that since you were my best friend you could up my sister? My baby sister!?”

“Hyung, it’s not like that! I love her, we-“ Taeyon had finally caught up with two and found Jonghyun almost crying, looking up at Jinki as if he was desparate for him to understand.

“Don’t you dare say another word, Jonghyun. Just leave.”

At this, Jonghyun’s tears finally sprang free from his control. Taeyon’s heart hurt just seeing the moisture form, and she rushed through the door to embrace him, too quick for Jinki’s outreached arm to catch her.

“Jonghyun-ah, sh, it’s okay. Shh,” she said, his hair as he continued to cry. Taeyon glared at Jinki over his shoulder, hating him in that moment.

“Just get him out of here, I don’t want to look at him,” Jinki said, turning away from the scene as if he was unable to stomach the sight of his best friend and little sister embracing.

Jinki stormed back into their house, leaving Taeyon to console Jonghyun while he cried. If he knew his best friend, they would be out there for at least ten minutes, and he really couldn’t stand the sight of seeing his best friend cry or the look of betrayal on his sweet sister’s face.

He entered the kitchen to find Gwiboon sitting in the same place he had left her, silently sipping her tea and flipping through a fashion magazine. She glanced up at him as he sat down, raising one of her eyebrows before looking back down.

“What?” Jinki asked, a little more forcefully than he had meant to.

Gwiboon’s hand stilled as she was flipping the page and Jinki caught his breath, recognizing one of the signs that he had pissed her off.

“Oh, nothing,” she breezed, resuming her paroosal of the magazine.

“Key, I told you I was going to scare the out of them! That’s what I had to do – I can’t just let him think he has a free pass at her just because they’re dating now.” Jinki tried to defend himself, but Gwiboon just pursed her lips and took another sip of her tea, which was now empty and made a loud slurping noise through her straw.

Jinki stood up, grabbing her glass and moving to the fridge to refill her cup. Her silence was scaring him and he hoped that she wasn’t too pissed off.

“Thanks babe,” she said sweetly, kissing him gently on the lips once he had returned with her now full glass of tea.

He made to move away, but she stopped him with a hand on his bicep.

“Jinki,” she said, looking up at him from under her thick lashes.

“Y-yes?”

“You’re y when you yell, did you know that?”

“What? But I thought you were mad-“ But before he could finish, Gwiboon crashes their lips together in a frenzied kiss. Jinki’s mind reels as he tries to process this new chain of events, but he inevitably loses himself in the kiss, moving his arms around Gwiboon possessively.

“Lee Jinki!” The two break apart as Taeyon enters the kitchen, stalking right up to her older brother and punching him in the back.

“Ow! Taeyonnie, what are you-“

“You are a big jerk! How could you do that to your best friend? To my boyfriend? You knew we were dating!”

“But-“

“Don’t even,” she says, slapping her hand over his mouth as he tries to speak.

“Honey, come on,” Gwiboon says, drawing Taeyon away from her brother before she punches him again. “Did you really think that Jinki would treat Jonghyun any different than what’s-his-name, your ex- Kai? – just because they’re best friends?”

“Unnie,” Taeyon whines, jumping up and down in frustration.

“Sh,” the older girl coos, bringing the younger in for a hug.

Jinki moves to embrace the two girls, but stops at the look his girlfriend gives him, awkwardly moving his outstretched hands up as if he was stretching. Gwiboon rolls her eyes and pats Taeyon’s back comfortingly.

“Unnie, did you see him, though?” Taeyon asks, a small smile on her lips.

“What?” Gwiboon asks, almost afraid what will come out of the girl’s mouth.

“He looked like a puppy! With his sad face and cute little tears, ugh. I just can’t with him!” Taeyon giggles at the memory as if it’s completely normal to call her boyfriend a dog.

Jinki and Gwiboon both sit there in silence unable to deny that the younger boy really does resemble a sad little puppy. Their eyes catch over Taeyon’s head and they can’t help but burst out laughing. Taeyon joins them as she wipes her eyes and moves away from Gwiboon, laughing heartily until her cheeks hurt.

Jinki moves in, hugging his sister as relief washes over him that she’s not too upset to laugh. She accepts the hug, but stops laughing to look up at him and say, “I’m still mad at you, oppa.”

“I know, baby, I know.”