Hospital Love

Hospital Love

Myeongwoo University Hospital is one of the most prestigious hospitals in South Korea. Myeongwoo has highly skilled doctors in each specialty, but the main team of the thoracic surgery department is known for being composed mostly of young doctors.

The team consists of Dr. Han Jae Joon as the surgeon, Dr. Park Min Hyun as the second assistant, Han Eun Sun as the surgical tech, Dr. Kim Ah Young as the anesthesiologist and I, Dr. Lee Hye Ri, as the first assistant.

A few months ago I finished of being a junior doctor and since then I have been the first assistant in surgery of Dr. Han; at first everyone thought it was because we have been dating for almost two years, but I'm sure Jae Joon-ssi won’t allow someone without skills being into his operating room.

Ah, I am also the daughter of Dr. Lee Jung Woo, who is the President of the hospital. He hadn’t been into an operating room since a few years ago, but he was one of the best thoracic surgeons at his time; many people say that I inherited their skills.

I had been almost two days without sleep and that afternoon the team would do the surgery of Mrs. Min. It wasn’t a complicated surgery, but I needed sleep to be concentrated.

*Dr. Lee*I walked to the room where we slept when I heard a familiar voice that made me stop.

*Ah, Dr. Kim* I waited for her to keep walking.

*I was going to have some breakfast. Would you like to accompany me?*

*Mianhe. I was going to get some sleep to be ready for the surgery of Mrs. Min*

*Dr. Han asked you again to be his first assistant?*

*Ye. It has become an habit ...* I laughed softly.

*Araso. I see you in the surgery, then*

I nodded and watched how Dr. Kim had leave.

*Dr. Kim* I attracted her attention when he had barely gave two steps.

*Tell me* she turned.

*I want to tell you something. Would you come?*

She nodded.

When we reach the room I let her entered first and once I closed the door I leaned against the door. In the room there were two bunk beds, that giving a total of four beds, a desk that had a lamp that illuminated the area and a shelf to put whatever you want; there were usually books there. The place had a window but it was always closed; it had to be dark so that the doctors could sleep.

*What are you going to tell me?* she asked.

I didn’t answer. I took the collar of Dr. Kim’s gown and pulled her to me to stick my lips with hers. At first she kissed me back, but after a few seconds she put his hands on my waist and pushed me away, but due to I was leaning on the door she was who pulled back.

*Yah! I've said many times to you that is very dangerous if we kiss in the hospital*

*I think you are exaggerating* I bit my lip and give her an innocent look.

*Exaggerating? What will happen if your father catches us? Or Jae Joon? Or anyone in the hospital?*

She was right. All this would have to end if my father or Jae Joon knew about us, but I hadn’t kissed her since two days ago. Will she blame me for that? I sighed, letting go out the air of my lungs. I had a year maintaining this relationship with Dr. Kim, or Yura, as he liked to be call, to ruin just because I couldn’t control my impulses.

-*Mianhe* I stretched my hand to her and once she took it I pulled her towards me. I bend my elbow and our hands were up to the high of our heads. I interlaced my fingers with hers. I liked how our hands seemed to fit perfectly. *I missed you ... *

*And me too, but-* she couldn’t say anything else because someone tried to open the door and as I was leaning in the door I was pushed.

*Jae Joon-sii* I said when I saw the face of the person who opened the door.

*Dr. Kim* he made a bow. *I was looking for you* he said to me.

*I was just leaving. Excuse me* she made a curtsey and left the room.

*Why you were looking for me?* I asked once Dr. Kim was out.

*Do I need an excuse to see my girlfriend?* he said with a smile.

*Since you have nothing to do, why don’t you stay with me and hug me while I fall asleep? -

*Seems like a good idea to me* He extended his hand to the bed under one of the bunks.

I nodded and got into the bed be aside the wall; that meant he would be on the edge. I put my arms against my chest and he wrapped me with his arms when he got into the bed and he pulled me against his chest. I had always liked the warmth that his body gave me. I tried not to think about what had happened just now and I closed my eyes to let sleep overcame me.

...

When I woke Jae Joon was no longer there. I stood up and stretched my arms up. I had slept for about four hours; it wasn’t much, but now I didn’t feel tired. It wasn’t long when my stomach made noises... I had rather sleep at lunch time and now my body asked me for food.

I left the hospital and I went to the coffee shop that was across the street. Once there I ordered a donut with strawberry glazed and one cup of American coffee; this would make me wake completely. I looked for a table to sit down.

Now that my brain was awake I could accept that it hadn’t been a good idea to bring Yura to the restroom to kiss her. If I hadn’t been leaned against the door there was no doubt that we would have caught by Jae Joon and then we’ll be in trouble. Sometimes I wish I was half as brave as she was. South Korea is a homophobic country, but despite that Yura was openly gay since she was in college. I had never been with a girl until I met her. I loved Jae Joon, that why I agreed to be his girlfriend when he asked me and I really thought I was in love with him, but what makes me feel Yura is very different. I don’t want to hurt Jae Joon or disappoint my father, but meanwhile I'm hurting the woman I love. She doesn’t tell me anything about it, but you don’t need to be so smart to figure it out. Aigoo...

...

Back at the hospital I found my father at the door...

*Abeoji* I smiled and made a curtsey. I liked to keep my distance while we’re in the hospital; the people always said I had benefits for being the president's daughter.

*I heard Dr. Han chose you as his first assistant in the surgery today*

*Ye. We do a good team*

*I’m aware. By the way, I like to invite you both to have a dinner with me...*

*When?*

 *When you can*

*I’m free tonight. I'll ask Jae Joon and I’ll confirm you*

*I’ll be waiting* He made a bow and left.

I was a little surprised at the invitation of my father. He got along very well with Jae Joon, but this type of dinner wasn’t something we do often.

...

*I’ll finish. You had worked hard* I made a little curtsey. The surgery was a success and I would take care of closing the chest of Mrs. Min Jae Joon so he could leave.

*You had worked hard* the rest of the team said and also made a little bow.

Once I finished my part, Dr. Kim and I took Mrs. Min to her room. She took care to see how patients react until awakened.

*Will I see you at night?* she asked while she was checking vital signs.

*Mianhe* I had said that word a lot today. *My father wants Dr. Han and I have dinner with him*

*And later?* sometimes I felt she ignored me when I mentioned Jae Joon in our conversations.

*I can call you when I finish dinner to see if you still feel like meting me*

*I’d always want to see you*she smiled at me.

*Can you take care of the patient? I need to go see Dr. Han*

*Of course*

I had seen Jae Joon outside the room of Mrs. Min, so I went with hurried steps to reach him.

*Jae Joon-ssi ... I mean, Dr. Han* I shouted.

*Dr. Han sound too formal* He said once I got to him.

*But we are in the hospital...* I had often told him how I felt about others take off merit from me only because I was his girlfriend and the president daughter.

*Anyway, What do you need?*

*Are you free tonight?*

*Are you inviting on a date?*

*Yah, don’t joke. Abeoji want to have dinner with us*

*Why is that?* Jae Joon seemed as surprised as I was.

*I don’t know. He didn’t say to me*

 *I’ll see at the entrance at eight*

*So, are you coming?*

*Ye*

*We’ll see you then. Now I have to go see a patient*I kissed him on the cheek before leaving.

...

I walked to the entrance after leaving my hospital gown and other stuffs in the locker. Jae Joon was waiting for me when I arrived. He was leaning against his car on the side of the passenger door.

*Have you been waiting a long time?*

*Ani* He opened the door for me to get into the car. Then he walked around the car to get into and go to the restaurant that my father had told us.

On the way we don’t talk about anything important; both of us were curious to know why my father had to say to us, but we decided to wait until he will tell us. Another thing that we talk was about the surgical team and what would the next surgery we’ll do as a team.

When we got to the restaurant he asked for the reservation on behalf of my father and the waitress took us to the table. My father was already waiting, and he had even ordered the food.

*Good evening* we both said almost simultaneously and made a bow.

*Take a seat, please*

*Kamsamnida* I thank when Jae Joon moved the chair so I could sit.

It didn’t take long for the food to arrive and the three began to eat. My father had ordered deokbokki for all and to drink a bottle of red wine. The dinner was peaceful. Jae Joon and my father perfectly understood each other and my father liked how Jae Joon sees him as a teacher.

*I’m sure you wonder why I asked you to come* he said once all of us finished dinner.

Jae Joon and I nodded simultaneously.

*I’ll be straight to the point; I think it's time to formalize their relationship and take the next step-

I took a drink form my wine glass and almost spit it when he said that. *Are you talking about married?*

My father nodded.

*Abeoji, Don’t you think it's too soon? Jae Joon-ssi and I just spent two years in our relationship and our careers as doctors are just beginning...*

*Ye, Songsenim. Our relationship is going well, but Hye Ri and I haven’t even talk about it* at least Jae Joon was on my side.

My father pretended to understand our position, but I knew him and I knew that when he has an idea he didn’t give up easily.

*Can we go now?* I looked at Jae Joon who nodded.

*I was pleased to have a dinner with you* he said to my father.

 Both got to stood up and made a bow before leaving. Jae Joon took me to my apartment since we had come in his car and it was late to return to the hospital for mine. I didn’t mind to leave it there because it was safe in the hospital parking lot. I sent a text to Yura when we got into the car.

*Komaweo* I said once we got in front of the building where my apartment was.

*Hye Ri-ssi ...*

*Wa?*

*I think it's too early for us to get married, but since your father raised the topic I think we could start to live together. I had wanted to ask ask you a few days ago...* It was a small silence, but before I could say anything Jae Joon continued *Thin about it. You do not have to answer right now. We can talk about it other day soon.*

*Araso* I didn’t have to think about my answer; I didn’t want to live with Jae Joon because that would mean not seeing Yura in my apartment. What I didn’t know it was what I would tell him as an excuse for not living with him other than I had a mistress.

He got out of the car and walked to the passenger side to open the door; he had that habit. When I was down I stood on tiptoe and leave a little kiss on his lips.

*Drive carefully* I said

*Ye. Have a good night*he said and got into the car

*And after that I entered the building. I took the elevator that would leave me in the fifth floor and when the doors opened I saw her leaning against the wall next to the door of my apartment. I walked up to her and as she was distracted I take advantage to plant a kiss on her cheek.

*Why don’t you get in? You know the password*

*I preferred to wait you outside*

I opened the door and I let her enter first.

*And how was your dinner?*

I wish she hadn’t asked that question. I didn’t want to think about it or in the Jae Joon proposal for live together. I went to the kitchen and took a couple of cans of beer from the refrigerator. When I returned to the room I found her sitting on the couch. I sat beside her and gave her one of the cans.

*My father wants me to marry Jae-Joon* I was looking at the beer.

*Oh ...* She took a sip of beer.

*I said that I was too young and nonsense of those. At least Jae Joon was on my side...*-

*And what did your father said?*

*He said that he understand us*

*And then why are you like this?* the calm tone in his voice gave me the calm me I needed.

*Because I thought you were going to be mad* I was sincere.

*Well, if Jae Joon either wants to get married and your father said that he understands then we can continue as before, right?*

She was right. Nothing could change if only was that, but the problem was that Jae Joon had asked me to live together. I decided I would tell her that another time. I didn’t want to ruin the time we will going to spend together.

I looked up to meet his eyes and without thinking I leaned over her until our lips touched. It was a slow, soft kiss. My can of beer was still closed, so I didn’t worry about it. Instead I took the can of his hands and left it on the table being careful not to break the kiss. I was pushing her until I made her lying on the couch. I dropped my body slightly to one side, making back rest on the backrest of the couch, but part of my body was on top of her so we could fit.

*Would you going to stay overnight?* I asked, once I leaned my head on his chest.

*Do you want me to?*

*Yes* I hold her in a kind of hug.

*I'll stay, then...*

*Mianhe* I knew she would ask me the reason for my apology, so I continued before she could ask *we hadn’t have to see each other like this if I told my father that I'm in love with you*

*Ya! I told you I'll wait until you're ready to say him and whatever he respond I'll be here for you*

Sometimes I wondered how Yura was still with me. It wasn’t that I had low self-esteem, but she could have any girl she wanted without having to hide their relationship, but she was here, on the couch in my apartment. Sometimes I fell ready to tell my father, but then I remember all the consequences: Jae Joon would get hurt, Yura will get fire, probably, and my father would not allow me to continue meeting her. However, I felt that time was running out and our secret would come out at anytime.

...

When I woke up I looked for her on the bed with my hand, but the place where she slept felt empty. When I opened my eyes I saw a post-it, which means she was gone.

"I’m sorry for not being here when you wake up,

But I need to get early on the hospital.

PD: You look like an angel when you sleep.

Love you, Yura. "

I smiled like an idiot when I read the post it. I liked I wake up and she was the first thing my eyes saw, but she knew how to make me smile even when she was not with me.

...

I left my room once I took a bath and got ready to go to the hospital. My car was in the parking lot of the hospital, so I would have to take a taxi.

*What ... what are you doing here?* I exclaimed in surprise when I got to the living room.

*I wanted to pick you up because your car is in the hospital* Jae Joon said.

"You could have told me" I thought. I didn’t expect to see him here.

*Komaweo* I said instead.

*The Dr. Kim let me in. Did she spend the night here?* he asked.

*Anio! She came to this morning to give me some papers* I said without thinking of.

He smiled and nodded.

*Gaja? I asked while taking my bag of the coach*

...

On the way to the hospital I noticed very him seriously, but I was afraid to ask if something was wrong. When we got to the hospital I thanked him for the drive. I was about to get out of the car when he held my arm to stop me.

*Is there something between Dr. Kim and you?* He asked.

*Wa?* I exclaimed. I wasn’t prepared to answer that question.

*You don’t deny it*

*Anio, Dr. Kim and I are just friends. There’s nothing between us. How dare you to ask me that?* I pretend to be indignant.

*Because you lied to me* I didn’t need to ask him how when he kept talking *The Dr. Kim slept over at your home*

I was silent. I wanted to run to search Yura and ask her what she had told Jae Joon, but she kept holding my arm.

*And yesterday you were in the restroom alone and you were blocking the door. And I don’t need to be very smart to realize that Dr. Kim doesn’t like me*he said.

*You’re imagining things. That she likes girls doesn’t mean that I like girls too just because I’m her friend. I'm your girlfriend. Don’t you trust me?*

He was silent for a moment. *Then why didn’t you tell me that she had slept over at your house?*-

*If I told you you’re going to act like this anyway*

*So, there’s nothing between both of you?*

*Anio. And if you're going to keep with the same thing I'm leaving, I have important things to do* I removed his hand from my arm.

*Mianhe*

I leaned and left a soft kiss in his cheek. *You’re the only one for me, never doubt about that* lie to him it was hurting me more than I expected. *I have to go ...*

He nodded.

I got out of Jae Joon car and walked as fast as possible to get away from there. I went to a place behind the hospital where it was difficult to find someone. Some doctors went there to smoke, but it was almost always alone; that’s why Yura and I had become it our place. I texted her saying it that we had to talk and I waited for her there.

...

*When she came I hugged her, holding to her. I didn’t want to let her go for any reason.

*What's the problem?* She asked.

I didn’t answer. After a few minutes I set her free and I looked into his eyes.

*Jae Joon asked me if there was something between us*I finally said *and I told him that we’re just friends*

*He believed you?*

*I think so*

*Why did he ask that?*

*Did you tell him that you had slept over in my apartment?*

She looked at me strangely. *Not exactly. I was leaving when he came and I told him that you were still sleeping. It wasn’t difficult to guess that I slept over. Is that why she thought there was something between us?*She laughed as if this was something funny.

*He was suspected for some time, but he hadn’t said anything to me until now* Jea Joon was suspected for some time and I hadn’t noticed. I had paid much attention to Yura. I took a deep breath *I think we should stop seeing each other for a while.*

*Are you kidding me?* she stop laughing.

*Only for a few days until Jae Joon stop to suspect*

*Do you prefer him?*

*I- what? No. I love you and that's why I'm asking that. You know what would happen if my father finds out? I don’t wa--*

*I know* She interrupted me *I know the consequences. We’re going to do whatever you want*

*Mianhe* I felt my eyes fill with tears.

*Do you need something more? I have to go back to hospital...*

I shook my head and walked over to kiss her lips, but she turned her head and my lips restered on his cheek.

*I see you later* She said and she leave.

At that time I didn’t realize how much I was hurting Yura. I didn’t even ask her if she was agreed, I was more concerned about me than her. Since we started being lovers she had always been very careful with our relationship even more than me. It was the first time someone suspected there was something between us.

Watching her go broke something inside me. I cried. I cried as I hadn’t done in a while.

...

It had been almost a month since that incident. What had supposed to be a few days became weeks. Yura didn’t answer my calls or messages since that day and whenever I saw her in the hospital she always had an excuse for not to talk to me. I was confused with the situation; I had insisted to her for a meeting, but she didn’t want to talk to me. That’s why I was surprised by his message that morning: "Can I come to your apartment tonight? We need to talk" I had to ask a favor to someone for cover me in the hospital that night.

Now I was in my apartment, I just had finish drinking what would be my third glass of wine. Yura was late for twenty minutes now and I began to believe that she wasn’t going to come when the doorbell rang. I stood up and walked towards the door. I took a deep breath before open the dorr. I couldn’t say anything when I see her; she was beautiful as ever. I wanted to kiss her, hug her, tell her how much I'd missed her, but I just stood there looking at her.

*May I come in?* She asked.

I nodded and stepped aside so she could enter.

*Can I offer you something?*

*No, thank you*

*I’m glad you came* I smiled and she smiled back.

It was silent. We were standing in the middle of the room staring each other into our eyes.

*You said that you wanted to talk* I broke the silence.

*The rumors are true?*

I nodded. I knew what she was talking about.

*Since when?* She asked.

*A week ago*

*And why didn’t you tell me anything?*

*You didn’t answer my messages and either wanted to talk with me*

She was silent.

After I ask Yura to stop seeing us for a few days I realized I didn’t want to live without her. I couldn’t. But I didn’t want to keep hurting her being with another man. That was why I had decided to end my relationship with Dr. Han. I felt bad for the breakup, but at the same time I felt free. My father was upset when I told him, but he understood a little when I explained that I wasn’t in love with Jae Joon. Of course I didn’t tell them I was in love with a girl and that girl was Dr. Kim.

The rumor of my breakup had spread very fast and that was the reason that Yura was in my apartment that night.

*I-I thought I’d lost you* I took a couple of steps to get where she was standing. *I did it because I realized I didn’t want to spend my life with someone I don’t love and being away from the person I love* I took one of his hands and placed it on my chest where she can feel the beating of my heart; I placed her other hand on her chest at the same place. *People say that the heartbeat of every person is different. Just as aren’t there two people with the same face. But if you feel, is the same as yours, right? I think that is the fate that you and I should be together. Wo-would you accept me again?* I asked afraid to hear the answer.

But instead of give me an answer she leaned over and kissed my lips. I felt a tightness in my chest that didn’t kept me breathe easily. Little by little I started to relax and kiss her back in the same way. I put my hands behind his neck and started to made caresses with my thumbs. Her hands gripped my waist and she pushed me against to her to be as close as possible.

When she broke the kiss I kept leaning my head to her forehead and my eyes was still closed. A smile appeared on my lips. She hadn’t answered me, but that kiss told me everything I needed to know.

*What will happen now?* She asked.

It was a question I didn’t want to hear at that time. I pulled her away; I took her hand and I take to the couch to sit down. I made her leaning his back on my chest and put my arms around her to hug her.

*I’m going to talk to my father and I will tell her that I want to date with you* I said quietly.

*What happened if he disagree?*

*I won’t let him to take me away from you* I pressed her against me to put and emphasis to my words.

*Saranghae, Hyeri*

*Saranghae, Yura*


Well, thanks for reading. I'm planning make more oneshots so if you have and idea you could tell me in the comments and I'll try to write something for you :3