Main Story

All Who Remain

Beautiful. At a moment like this...that's all that came to mind. That's all you could think. Beautiful...He was so...beautiful...
            The moment he turned around, and locked eyes immediately with you, you froze. His knotted, pinkish blonde dreadlocks, somehow hung perfectly in the light wind. But his eyes...as beautiful as he was...they wailed of a different story when he stared into your own. A much more painful and less beautiful story.
            Somehow...his left eye...already a shocking bright blue...seemed to glow brighter. It felt like it had taken some sort of effect on you...like...it captured you. You felt your legs start to w
weakly wobble. As he continued to stare you down, your legs gave out from under you. Your back thudded against someone's chest. Suddenly, a panicking voice began to cry out your name. "Jill! Jill, get up please! Jill!"...Taeil..."Jill!"...Taeil..."Jill!"...Tae...your eyelids became heavier. As they fluttered open one last time...the blue intensified. And with that...you collapsed.

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  

2 HOURS BEFORE

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

 

            “건배~!” Taeil cheered clinking glasses with your friends around the table, saving the last cheer for you with a brighter smile. “Ya, ya, ya...lovebirds...” Kyung piped up. Taeil grumbled and threw a pretzel at him. “야, 죽을래! 말하지 마! We aren't together!” Taeil squeaked, turning crimson. Kyung rolled his eyes and continued. “Glasses up everyone. I've got a toast I'd like to make.” Everyone raised their various shot glasses, anticipating what comical jumble would tumble from Kyung's lips. But his face took on a more solemn expression. “Settle down, guys. I don't have any jokes to crack right now.” “HA! What a pleasant surprise.” B-Bomb interjected with a snort. Kyung gave him a silencing and curt expression. “I'm trying to be serious here!” he snapped. B-Bomb looked down at the table, pitifully. “Sorry.” he mumbled.                        

            Clearing his throat, Kyung went on. “Tonight, marks a whole year since...since...” he began stuttering. His forehead wrinkled in frustration. He looked quite strained and troubled. He took a deep breath. “...since we lost...them.” he managed to choke out. All playfulness was out of the atmosphere at once. Kyung's usually bright and playful tinted eyes were dull. “On this night...I want us all to remember the fragility of life...and the human mind. For it wast this night...last...last year...when U-Kwon...was killed by...killed by...killed by Zico.” He tried rushing out the words that piled up in the back of his throat.

            Every face at the table mournfully drooped. Eyes gleamed with tears waiting to break free. Kyung noticed the sharp change of mood. “However!” he chirped. “We need to remember that...it wasn't Zico's fault. He's really ill. I just...wish he could be here. So we could tell him that we care..that we understand...that...we forgive him...” Kyung spoke, volume decreasing with every bitter word. His eyes remained leveled with no one but his 소주.

            P.O slowly rose and went to Kyung's side, patting his shoulder warmly. Kyung fought back tears and bit his lip at the comforting gesture. He rigidly raised his glass higher. “To...to U-Kwon and Zico!” he choked out, voice finally cracking and breaking. There were a few sniffles throughout the room. You felt your mind race back to the memories of that...unforgettable night.

 

 

 

 

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  

F L A S H B A C K

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

You and the rest of the members had finally cornered Zico on the rooftop terrace of the dorm. He look around, snarling, seeking to escape. “What...what now?” P.O asked with a whimper, as he clutched his wounded forearm. Taeil gave an uneasy shrug.

            He had positioned himself in front of you, protectively. In situations of less danger, you would have admired him for it. But there was no time for that. Luckily, you could see over his shoulder, since he was significantly shorter than you. B-Bomb grunted, as he struggled to keep a semi-conscious U-Kwon, from slumping over and falling onto the cement ground, face first. Jaehyo and Kyung were the least injured. They were the first cured, so they recovered quicker than the others. But Zico...Zico's condition was worsening. He was far beyond the stages the others had been cured at. He somehow managed to evade you long enough to get worse. He was even displaying ravenous, inhumane, animal-like behavior. Growling and snarling.

            All this trouble spawned from something so...stupid...yet innocent. Goddamn clown masks. They brought no jackpot whatsoever.  Just the destruction of relationships and fond memories. Zico whipped his head back and forth, screeching at the faces he once smiled warmly at. His right eye...still the warm, earthy, brown orb you knew and loved. But his left eye...thought bright cyan...it was so cold...so...dead.

            The colors of his eyes clashed, just like your current emotions. Part of you wanted to run to Zico and hug him. Console him. Tell him you'd help him through it. That he'd be fine, just like the others. But the other part of you wanted to run...run away from Zico. From this...madness...Scream. Tell them all to get away. You were so afraid...But...scared or not. You had a duty to fulfill. The boys were your responsibility. You promised to take care of them. To always be there for them. You wouldn't let fear disrupt your loyalty!

            Finally, you willed yourself enough to cease cowering behind Taeil. “오빠...I need to get by.” you whispered in his ear. He turned his head slightly so he could look at you, but still see Zico. “Are you out of your mind?!” he screeched. Yes. “No way! You haven't dealt with this level of the curse!” he hissed at you. Of course, he was right. But...you had to try. It would be too dangerous to let the curse continue to envelop him. “오빠, stand aside. I'm just going to try and get through to him.” you murmured, hushing his worry with reassuring pats on his shoulder.

            He opened his mouth to object again, but Jaehyo elbowed him swiftly. “Unless you have a better idea, which we all know you don't, you better let Jill try and work her magic.” he seethed at Taeil. You gave Taeil a soft smile. “I'll be fine. Zico won't hurt me.” you chided. Taeil pouted slightly. “Are you sure?” he said, giving you more attention and clutching onto your hand. “Yes. Please let me try. Please.” you pleaded, nodding. His head drooped as he moved a few inches to let you pass. You gave him a small smile, and slipped by.

            Suddenly you felt someone cling to your arm. You flinched as that person spun you into their arms, and wrap you in a tight embrace. You began to stammer out conflicting syllables. “Please...please, Jill...please be careful...please.” Taeil whispered, your hair. You peeked down, below your chin, at his smaller and shaking frame. You never realized how strong he was. Because you couldn't move to return the loving notion. “I...I...I...” you tried speaking again. To no avail.

            Taeil never held you like this before. So tightly...so lovingly....so needfully...so desperately...so-! “Um. You guys...” Jaehyo prompted, interrupting the intimate moment. Oops. Taeil immediately released you with a nervous and embarrassed chuckle. “Uh..aha..well good luck...friend.” Taeil sputtered out. He grabbed your hand and shook it fiercely while he continued turning maroon. “Um...Taeil...?” you began. “Huh? Yeah? What? What?” he exclaimed. You looked down at his fingers weaved through yours securely, and then back up at his face, silently signaling. “Taeil...Down boy...release!” Kyung blurted out with a guffaw. “Oh! I uh...I....uh...I'm...” Taeil began babbling. You giggled at how cute he was acting.

            Then you remembered how serious this was. Immediately you straightened up and spun around to face Zico.  You approached him cautiously, palms raised. Zico's expression changed completely. He...looked smaller. More innocent. More like...himself. Time to start sweet talking. “Zico...Zico it's me...Jill...your favorite 동생? Remember?” you began cooing. He twitched. It looked like he was having an intense inner battle. Maybe you were getting through to him?

            You gave him your signature sweet smile. “Remember me?...What about...what about that time we went to the 노래방? Remember that? When we totally butchered 난리나?” you started digging up the fondest memories you could. The corners of his lips twitched. Was he trying to smile? Was it working? You chuckled, remembering how he drunkenly wailed instead of actually rapping. You examined his profile. He seemed to be softening.

            You took small steps forward. He twitched again, making a sputtering sound. You stood still, only a few feet away from him. Without warning, he broke out into a radiant smile. He began giggling and squealing happily. You grinned. “Zico!” you mused. You came closer.

            A sinister feel tinted the mood. His giggles became hoarse cackles. He pounced. You fell back onto the ground, and your head made harsh contact with the cement floor, as he thudded against you. Your head was swimming and your eyes couldn't focus on anything. A cacophony of alarm arose around you. Blurred figures crowded around you, trying to pull the snarling Zico off of you. You felt his weight removed from you. One of the blurry figures pulled you up into a hunched sitting position.

            You dizzily looked up, watching the obscure brawl. Aside from the scuffle, two lone figures stood away from the violence. You remembered that B-Bomb was holding up U-Kwon. Your eyes began focusing on B-bomb, who was torn between helping the others control Zico and keeping U-Kwon up. You could at least help with this, right?

            You staggered to your feet, ignoring P.O's pleas for you to stay down. You teetered over to B-Bomb. “I'll hold up U-Kwon. They could use your help over there.” you muttered, nodding over to the struggle. B-Bomb looked down at U-Kwon, who was getting weaker with every wasting second. Then he glanced longingly at the tangle of bodies trying to keep Zico down. He locked eyes with you, seeking security in your words. You gave him a strong nod. You had this and you were sure of it. He gave you one last look over, before tearing away to go assist the others. P.O also had ran over to try and subdue Zico. Even though you were with a losing consciousness U-Kwon, it felt safer than being alone.

            Unexpectedly, U-Kwon began mumbling hazily. He must be in so much pain. You felt so bad for him. You began softly rubbing his temples and shushing him. “You'll be fine. You're gonna be okay, U-Kwon. Just hang on. Just hang on a little bit longer.” you chided. He kept stuttering. Was he trying to say something? You couldn't make out words...”그 사람...”...who...” 오빠...누구?”  you asked. Who is he talking about? And...why? “무슨 말이에요?” you continued prompting him. “아 ...지...코 “ he stuttered. Zico...what about-! Suddenly the scuffle stopped. What...Everyone was staring at U-Kwon.

            You looked down at him and your jaw dropped. He was wide awake. His color returned. He didn't look as...near death. As slowly rose to his feet. Everyone looked up in awe, mouth agape. And with this, Zico took his chance. He tore away from the members, who were already so off guard. But...he didn't try to escape. He stood solidly, and swaggered over to you and U-Kwon.

            He looked at you with a sick and twisted smirk. He chortled. Suddenly he had U-Kwon by his neck. “NO!” you screamed. But it was too late. With a quick flick of his wrist, Zico had snapped U-Kwon's neck. The sickening crack seemed to reverberate in your ears. You quickly covered your eyes and fell to your knees as the violence returned. What just happened? And why? Your thoughts were racing and your head was swimming as you went down to the sounds of Zico howling.

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  

E N D  F L A S H B A C K

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

You snapped from the horrific memories and back to reality, as Taeil wrapped an arm around you. “질 -아...괜찮아?” he asked rubbing soothing circles on your shoulder. You gave him a wry smile and nodded quickly. He opened his mouth, as if he had something else to say, but he closed his mouth and shook his head. You could never let this slide pass. “What? What were you going to say?” you prompted him, poking his cheek playfully. He chuckled nervously. “아...아...아무것도 아냐...” He stuttered out. You cocked an eyebrow. “Really? Whatever's plaguing your tongue sure doesn't seem like nothing.” you said matter-of-factly.  He looked around, and then locked eyes with you. Something seemed different. He seemed distracted. Of course you were concerned and wanted to know. He took a deep breath.

            “질...I...I-” he was interrupted as a loud crash killed the calm mood. Everyone was startled out of whatever somberness they felt. You looked at the members and mouthed “The roof.” They jumped up and ran. You quickly followed them up the fire escape and into the hallway leading to the rooftop. Before Taeil could open the door, a familiar shriek filled the air. Oh my god. It couldn't be. You pushed through the members and flung the door open.

            You rushed out and looked around. Nothing. No one. What the hell is going on? You didn't even hear the other crowded behind you, just as confused as you  were. “You...we...I heard...” you began stuttering. Suddenly tears began stinging at your eyes. You thought you heard him. You thought this was your second chance. To right so many wrongs. To close so many open doors. But...you were wrong. You fell to your knees. You began sobbing and clutched at your heart. There were no more chances, were there? “Over there!” You heard someone scream. Wait...what?

            You looked up at the guys. They were all looking in the same direction. You quickly whipped around to see what they were looking at. There. Plaid pants. Long pinkish patterned overcoat. Long pinkish dreadlocks. Soon the figure on the rooftop turned to face you all. His exhilarating blue eye captured you immediately. Beautiful. At a moment like this...that's all that came to mind. That's all you could think. Beautiful...He was so...beautiful...

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  

P R E S E N T L Y

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

Before your eyes fluttered open and shut for the last time, you saw the end.

Taeil had ran.

Zico roared.

Taeil pushed.

Zico was gone.

Taeil fell to his knees.

And the nauseating contact of body and cement far below filled your ears one last time.

And then...

darkness.