Only You

Only You

One year past since he left without saying a word; 1 full year when she lived with a healing heart. It was 7 in the evening, she was walking to their… her usual spot in the café. “The usual, please,” she smiled at the waitress, who was also her best friend who had accompanied her through the hard time.

She flipped open the novel but stopped to examine her bookmark instead of reading – it was a photo strip bookmark that they had taken together while at his best friend’s wedding; on that very day, they… she thought that they would have lasted, that they would eventually make it through… and she believed, even up until now. She closed her book in an attempt to stop the tears, now b in her eyes, from rolling down her cheeks.

She closed her eyes and took slow deep breaths; meditation had helped kept her mind calm… but today it did not work. All she could see were images of him… of them, happy, smiling and loving.

The moment when he first held her hand; his beautiful features looking all serious (and nervous) when he asked if she wanted to be with him; the times when he was grinning like a happy child; when she inhaled the familiar scent of his when he embraces her into his arms; when he looks so deeply into her eyes and then bringing their distance closer before finally planting a kiss on her lips. “Just one more day, can these last just for another day?” she asked in her head, not expecting any answers.

She found it funny how someone can be so deeply engraved into another’s heart when they only knew each other for 5 years. Then again, he was one of the best things that had happened to her despite not looking, nor asking, for a partner at that point in time.

He made her grew up to a better person than she already was – so independent yet so child-like. He helped her nurture her talent and passion in music and language further by accompanying her to classes and teaching her personally (language wise). Once in awhile, he would surprise her with books wrapped in ribbons though they may not be anything romance. “I miss you,” she whispered into thin air.

She looked straight at the acoustic guitar on the stage just 2 tables away from her table, deep in thoughts. Suddenly, she picked up a familiar scent as a man walked by her table and towards the stage. That sudden scent caught her attention and she squint her eyes so hard in the dimly-lit café to make out the face of the figure.  

The spotlight on the stage was off when he sat down. The sound of the guitar filled the room as he started singing All out of Love, a familiar old tune by Air Supply. He sang the whole of the first verse with the lights off.  

I'm lying alone with my head on the phone
Thinking of you till it hurts
I know you hurt too but what else can we do
Tormented and torn apart

The lights started lighting up, albeit still dimly-lit, and she could finally make out the features.

I wish I could carry your smile in my heart
For times when my life seems so low
It would make me believe what tomorrow could bring
When today doesn't really know, doesn't really know

She started tearing up as the light is now fully shone on the stage. The man with the guitar on stage was him – Luhan.

I'm all out of love, I'm so lost without you
I know you were right, believing for so long
I'm all out of love, what am I without you
I can't be too late to say that I was so wrong

She was crying so hard then, tears falling down uncontrollably as he sang with his eyes closed. “Is that really him?” she kept asking in her head. Her best friend stood by her side as she watched him, passing her tissues every now and then.

I want you to come back and carry me home
Away from these long, lonely nights
I'm reaching for you, are you feeling it too?
Does the feeling seem oh, so right?

And what would you say if I called on you now
And said that I can't hold on?
There's no easy way, it gets harder each day
Please love me or I'll be gone, I'll be gone

She continued staring at him, focusing hard on the lyrics of the song at the same time. She had heard the song a few times, but was not entirely sure of the lyrics. She also caught up with the fact that his English had improved so much throughout the 1 year that he was away. Oh, the changes in this 1 year...

Ooh, what are you thinking of
What are you thinking of
What are you thinking of
What are you thinking of

He sang, this time looking straight into her eyes, as though it was dedicated specifically for her.

I'm all out of love, I'm so lost without you
I know you were right, believing for so long
I'm all out of love, what am I without you
I can't be too late I know I was so wrong

I'm all out of love, I'm so lost without you
I know you were right, believing for so long
I'm all out of love, what am I without you
I can't be too late to I know I was so wrong

The last note on the guitar faded off, and a round of applause was heard in the café. He was looking at her throughout the last bit of the song. After taking a bow, he stood up and walked towards her. Still in a daze, she stood up slowly to meet his eyes at eye-level while her best friend stepped away.

“I know… I shouldn’t have left without saying a word. It was something urgent that I had to do back home in order to come back here permanently,” he started speaking, carefully. “I’m sorry, I never wanted to leave you like this,” he continued, eyes clearly filled with sadness.

“I’ve hurt you, and I would understand if you would never forgive me, but I’ve come back to try earning your trust back this time. What I just sang, was my heart, my thoughts… for the past 1 year while I was away from you. It hurts me just as bad as it did to you, believe me,” he spoke with such earnest in his eyes.

She took a step closer to him, and then reached out to pick his hand up to place it on her cheek. “You’re back, this is real right? This is not just my fantasy that I’ve dreamt about every single day?” she said as tears started b in her eyes again. The hurt in his eyes deepened as he embraced her into a hug,

“I’m sorry, Juhyun-ah. I’m sorry. I’m back now. You’re no longer alone. I’m back now.” He assured her. She borrowed her face into his shoulders, inhaling the sweet familiar scent and then finally letting the tears flow. “I’ve missed you so much, pabo!!! Why” she said in between her sobs.

“Thank you for believing,” he looked into her eyes, and then moved in for a kiss on her lips – just like what she remembered. “This time round, I will not let you go and I will protect you – forever,” he continued and then grinned like a silly boy. She burst into a fit of giggle and then whispered to him in his ears, “My love is only for you.”

------

A/N: Finished this on a wimp because I was feeling inspired. This is inspired by Seohyun's Only U, and I found a perfect song to reply to it - Introducing another favourite oldie of mine - All out of Love by Air Supply. Here's a remake of the song by Olivia Ong that I absolutely love. Hope you'll enjoy it too! 

As usual, any comment/feedback/suggestions are appreciated. Thank you for reading again!